5 Replies Latest reply on Jun 23, 2014 6:52 PM by A.T. Romano

Using Elements 11 - after applying edits through 'guided' I often times receive a 'fractured picture icon' and the edits can't be saved - why?

wehlaw Level 1

Elements 11 Photoshop

Can anyone help?  I am losing hundreds of hours in taking pictures, making wonderful edits through 'Guided' but when I attempt to save the edits, say to the Desktop, I oftentimes receive what appears to a 'fractured picture icon' that will not allow me to save them - necessitating a complete repeat of the edits oftentimes, with the same results - what is causing this?

earl

• 1. Re: Using Elements 11 - after applying edits through 'guided' I often times receive a 'fractured picture icon' and the edits can't be saved - why?
          A.T. Romano Level 7

Earl

If your program is Photoshop Elements 11, you have posted in the wrong forum. You have posted in Adobe Premiere Elements Forum (video editing) and not Adobe Photoshop Elements Forum (photo editing). You can click on the following link and post your thread in the correct forum or wait for a moderator to see your thread here and then more it from here to there.

Photoshop Elements

Wherever your thread ends up, details that might be helpful include:

What computer operating system is your Photoshop Elements 11 working on?

Are the problems confined to one particular Edit in Guided or to all in this issue related to the save of the Quick Edit?

A posting of the screenshot showing the "fractured picture icon" would be helpful? Another screenshot of the save dialog which ends with "fractured picture icon" might be worthwhile.

What are you using for the save, File Menu/Save As or other?

The Adobe Photoshop Elements Forum people should be able to guide you through the issue to a resolution.

ATR

• 2. Re: Using Elements 11 - after applying edits through 'guided' I often times receive a 'fractured picture icon' and the edits can't be saved - why?
            wehlaw Level 1

Thank you for taking the time to point out my misplaced posting.

I was actually on the telephone for an hour with Adobe re this (miracle in

itself) - I was able to reproduce the problem for them only once (of course

it has happened literally dozens of times, involving scores of photos at a

time.  The bottom line, I was not able to reproduce the problem

sufficiently enough and after spending a considerable amount of time

trouble-shooting the issue, they decided that there was no problem with the

program, but did leave me a reference number to call if I encountered

future problems.

I have Windows 7 Professional; I normally use 'Guided' but I tried 'Expert'

to see if that would eliminate the problem - it didn't.  I will make my

edits then go to 'file' and normally click 'save' to my Desktop (it makes

no difference whether I use 'save' or 'save as').  I then click on the

window setting formating and then close the photo.  At this point, the

problem, if it is to occur, presents itself - I will either get a red line

across the photo indicating my edits are being save - if it disappears,

then all is well; however, when I have a problem, once I close the 'format'

window (JPEG) and then close the photo, I will get a picture of a gray

thumbnail, no actual picture, with what appears as the thumbnail having

been torn into like a torn picture or piece of paper (I called this

appearance 'fractured') - I simply mean that the program would not save my

edits and this was the symbol shown to demonstrate the effort failed - you

can repeat the process as many times as you want and it does not improve

the situation; then, out-of-the blue, it may work on the very same

picture.  Yesterday, I was working with 78 photos,which I selected maybe 30

to edit with the intention of uploading to my website - about 20 of them

ran into this problem and simply could not be used in an edited form from

Elements - 4 hour investment of time, which led to my call to Adobe.  They

acted as if they had never heard of this issue?

I don't know what is going on.  I am using the same camera, doing the same

things.

Best wishes -

earl

On Mon, Jun 23, 2014 at 4:01 PM, A.T. Romano <forums_noreply@adobe.com>

• 3. Re: Using Elements 11 - after applying edits through 'guided' I often times receive a 'fractured picture icon' and the edits can't be saved - why?
              A.T. Romano Level 7

Earl

I am hoping that the answers are there for you in the Adobe Photoshop Elements Forum.

Although my focus is Premiere Elements, I do have a good working knowledge of Photoshop Elements. I have run through the process that you describe

a. starting with a photo thumbnail in the Elements Organizer and taking it into the Photoshop Elements Editor "Guided" from there.

as well as

b. starting with bringing a photo from its computer hard drive location into the Photoshop Elements Editor "Guided".

Either way I do not see the issue that you describe.

Since so many photos are involved in your workflow, have you gone to Editor Edit Menu/Preferences/Performance and increased the % of available RAM for Photoshop Elements and also reduced the History States? What are the pixel dimensions of the photos that you are editing?

In the troubleshooting session with Adobe, did it take remote control of your computer to run through your workflow steps?

We will be watching for your progress.

Do not give up.

ATR

• 4. Re: Using Elements 11 - after applying edits through 'guided' I often times receive a 'fractured picture icon' and the edits can't be saved - why?
                wehlaw Level 1

Thank you again - good suggestions, I will try that.  Yes, they had direct access to my computer.  I think you may have something - certainly worth looking at.  Besides this particular problem, it has been a great program for my needs.

Thanks again, I will let you know.

Best - earl

Sent from my iPad

• 5. Re: Using Elements 11 - after applying edits through 'guided' I often times receive a 'fractured picture icon' and the edits can't be saved - why?
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

Earl

We will be watching for further developments wherever your thread is finally placed.

ATR