11 Replies Latest reply on Jun 24, 2014 2:52 AM by tristratos

Another vote for restoring H.264 and WMV rendering support

XDude.com! Level 1

Hello!

I love the new features which have been added to Adobe CC 2014.

However, removing the ability to render H.264 (MP4) or WMV essentially makes the program useless for me.

Adding AME to the workflow process is a considerable time-waster.

If anything, I'd think new program versions would add support for more render formats, not remove them?

If you could add H.264 and WMV support back in, I'd really appreciate it?

Thanks.

• 1. Re: Another vote for restoring H.264 and WMV rendering support
          scattar Level 1

If you could add your voice to this discussion. Re: Show Deprecated Formats in Output Module Settings don't appear in my output option!

It would help if we kept it all in one place. Hopefully if there is a enough noise coming from one discussion then they might realise what an absolutely stupid decision this was.

• 2. Re: Another vote for restoring H.264 and WMV rendering support
            XDude.com! Level 1

On the contrary, I think if there were 50 threads about this, it might elicit a quicker response.

• 3. Re: Another vote for restoring H.264 and WMV rendering support
              scattar Level 1

But then everyone's arguments be them for or against are scattered all over the place... It's much better to have one discussion on one topic - that's kind of how forums work. If people see this thread with only a 10 views they might skip by it but if they notice a thread with 1000 views then they are more likely to read it.

• 5. Re: Another vote for restoring H.264 and WMV rendering support
                XDude.com! Level 1

Well, the thread title is terrible, nobody would know that's where you should click to voice your concern about getting your MP4 support back.

"This question is Assumed Answered." probably doesn't help either.

Shrug?!

• 6. Re: Another vote for restoring H.264 and WMV rendering support
                  scattar Level 1

I agree, the thread title isn't the best. Although I'm sure Mr Kopriva knows exactly what it's about when he see 'Deprecated formats' there....

Part of me wishes more had been made of it in the last version when they brought in the checkbox to get them back, I like many others just assumed this checkbox would stay there for later versions. If enough fuss had of been kicked up last time time around then this huge oversight might never have happened.

SERIOUSLY, WHAT WERE YOU THINKING, ADOBE?

I do not care if codecs are not your speciality. If they are not, then make them your speciality. That is why we pay for your software, Mr Kopriva. Hire someone, borrow someone from the AME team, do whatever it is you need to do to get direct encoding support back into AE. You are adding time on to our workflows. THIS IS UNACCEPTABLE.

• 7. Re: Another vote for restoring H.264 and WMV rendering support
                    bogiesan Level 4

XDude.com! wrote:

Hello!

I love the new features which have been added to Adobe CC 2014.

However, removing the ability to render H.264 (MP4) or WMV essentially makes the program useless for me.

Adding AME to the workflow process is a considerable time-waster.

If anything, I'd think new program versions would add support for more render formats, not remove them?

If you could add H.264 and WMV support back in, I'd really appreciate it? Thanks.

I think if you run side-by-side tests using AME and transcoding while the render is taking place you'd see the AME route is actually slightly faster.

But there is a far more compelling reason for the functions to have been separated and that has to do with how After Effects is used by most, not all, of its intended audience. Comps and effects sequences are expected to be pieces of larger projects and not necessarily to be self-contained clips. From a production workflow, having the full rez version of an AE project on a drive and then using it in a transcoder like AME or Compressor to export many different codecs at once is far more efficient. But only for one reason: I have the master AE clip and can do anything with it. If I export directly out of AE to, say H.264, I cannot use that clip directly in most of the other applications my AE clips go through on their way to release.

The perceived convenience of being able to go directly to H.264 from AE is not really rendering, it's a process of transcoding. And that's complicated by the number of adjustments available to any codec's processor, adjustments that will dramatically affect the compressed file's appearance and size.

• 8. Re: Another vote for restoring H.264 and WMV rendering support
                      hami1car Level 1

But there is a far more compelling reason for the functions to have been separated and that has to do with how After Effects is used by most, not all, of its intended audience. Comps and effects sequences are expected to be pieces of larger projects and not necessarily to be self-contained clips. From a production workflow, having the full rez version of an AE project on a drive and then using it in a transcoder like AME or Compressor to export many different codecs at once is far more efficient.

You're making a lot of assumptions about other workflows based on your own personal experience. I've used After Effects for about 17 years, and I've finished hundreds of projects out of After Effects. More often than not, AE is the last step in the production process. I'm aware that other people, like yourself, have a different workflow than I do, so I don't make it my business to tell them what's best for them.

• 10. Re: Another vote for restoring H.264 and WMV rendering support
                        XDude.com! Level 1

Believe it or not, some of us are actually running After Effects from a laptop and don't have the luxury of endless terabytes of space to render full lossless versions of our 20- to 60-minute videos (many of which contain pre-rendered "picture-in-picture" elements, essentially doubling the amount of required hard drive space).

Rendering 16-bpc 30 Mbps H.264 video more than suits my needs, and drastically reduces disk space usage.

If anything, lossless video creates a huge bottleneck on my system, as I also don't have the luxury of an SSD hard drive. AME often sits there only using half the available CPU resources while the hard drive gets overworked and overheated.

I understand you can't make everybody happy, and every business needs to make decisions based on what they feel the majority of their customers require. And you're correct, we don't have to switch to the new version.

Thanks for the reply.

• 11. Re: Another vote for restoring H.264 and WMV rendering support
                          tristratos

Excuse me to say again...

BUT...

H.264 may be made through Media Encoder BUT

1) It may NOT be embeded to flash (ONLY flv format is embedable at all in flash!!!!)

2) Does NOT provide ANY kind of transparency!!

WHO decided to brake the workflow THAT BAD is NOT UNDERSTANDABLE at all!!!

Wish this will be addressed somehow, so that it would really make upgrading to CC 2014 meaningfull at all!!