7 Replies Latest reply on Jun 23, 2014 11:08 PM by Rick Gerard

Placing separate clips into a logo to scale together....

luna_light

Hi everyone, I'm stumped on this one, i've tried all i can think of.....I'm sure this has been done a million times

so i hope my description makes sense......

After Effects CS6.

I have an illustrator logo that is a word of 6 letters that begins over-scaled then decreases in scale over time.

I have 3 different clips of some ballroom dancing that i'd like to position within the lettering covering 2 letters each.

So, i'd like to isolate each group of 2 letters so that each clip doesn't wonder into any other (neighbouring) letters.

I'd also like to be able to adjust my clips positions/scale etc so that i can control which part of the clip is visible within the letters at any given time.

NOTE:

my illustrator logo lettering is transparent with the clips appearing within being scaled down and behind so as to show through.

The main purpose of what i'm trying to achieve here is to be able to control/define the area that my dancing clips are visible within the lettering WITHOUT

interfering with each other.

Thanks in advance to you all.......

Mark

• 1. Re: Placing separate clips into a logo to scale together....
          Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Parenting? Make the video layers the child of the logo.

If that doesn't do it, then show us a screenshot of what you have now and explain what the layers are supposed to be doing. It's easy to make notes on layers by adding a layer marker, double clicking, and adding a comment....

• 2. Re: Placing separate clips into a logo to scale together....
            bogiesan Level 4

Precompose the three groups of letters as separate comps. You can have all four cops open at once in separate viewers so you cna interactively scale the letters in the master comp and move/scale the contents in the precomps.

That's how I'd do it.

• 3. Re: Placing separate clips into a logo to scale together....
              luna_light Level 1

Thanks Bogiesan, sounds interesting, will i need to cut the Ai file into 3 parts in iIlustrator or duplicate the existing file in order to give each clip it's own file to pre-compose with?

Thanks Rick, I've tried parenting but it doesn't control the clips to stop them leaking into each other's space as the logo gets smaller....

Mark

• 4. Re: Placing separate clips into a logo to scale together....
                hami1car Level 1

You can simply mask the existing AI file in each comp to display the letters you need.

Be sure to parent all the comps to a null in the master comp so they will scale together.

• 5. Re: Placing separate clips into a logo to scale together....
                  bogiesan Level 4

hami1car wrote:

Be sure to parent all the comps to a null in the master comp so they will scale together.

Good point. I thought we were scaling the letters, or groups of two, independently but re-reading the OP it looks like the text scales as a whole. Could also just use a camera.

• 6. Re: Placing separate clips into a logo to scale together....
                    luna_light Level 1

Hi Chaps, thanks for your interest and our help. I've been trying what you have suggested but am still struggling to find the right blend of things to get this to work.

here's a screen shot of a Pr version:

Screen Shot 2014-06-23 at 22.23.14.png

the text is slowly reducing in scale. the 3 different clips are on KL - EIS - ER

i need to be able to position & scale each clip to control the central focus within the letters without encroaching

on the neighbours therefore i need a way to manage each clip without the overlap being seen or effecting the other clips.

I've tried pre-comping a version of the letters with each clip and a mask but it still doesn't add up - the pre-comps work great

but in the main comp I only see the top one. this is obviously a transparency issue but i can't figure why or how to get round it.

NOTE:

to place the clips into the lettering i have the logo formatted with black lettering with transparent background - i have then used the invert Alpha

effect. i have also tried the lettering as transparent with a black background WITHOUT the invert Alpha effect but this creates other problems.

Your further interest is eagerly awaited and gratefully received.....Mark

• 7. Re: Placing separate clips into a logo to scale together....
                      Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

If you want to scale the clips just parent everything to a null and scale the null. Problem solved.

If you don't want to scale the clips then you'll have to animate a mask for each clip and set some position keyframes. Again, problem solved, it's just not automatic.

The last option is to pre-compose the lettering and the clips then scale the pre-comp. This will look the same visually as parenting everything to a null and scaling the null.