6 Replies Latest reply on Jun 25, 2014 10:57 AM by Bert55

import .mov files

Bert55

My camera a lumix gf6 produces films in .mov format. Premiere elements 12 cannot import this file format correctly, what tot do?

• 1. Re: import .mov files
          John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

First, which version of Quicktime do you have installed?

Second, MOV is a wrapper, what is inside YOUR wrapper - Exactly what is INSIDE the video you are editing?

Codec & Format information, with 2 links inside for you to read http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1270588

Report back with the codec details of your file, use the programs below... A screen shot works well to SHOW people what you are doing

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/592070?tstart=30 for screen shot instructions

Free programs to get file information for PC/Mac http://mediaarea.net/en/MediaInfo/Download

• 2. Re: import .mov files
            A.T. Romano Level 7

bert55

What computer operating system is your Premiere Elements 12 running on?

Please detail what you mean by "cannot import this file format correctly"

From what I have read your camera is probably recording and giving you AVCHD.mov (1920 x 1080). Not sure of the frame rate?

What is it and is the frame rate interlaced or progressive? But that format would be expected to be compatible with Premiere Elements 12/12.1.

So, please define "cannot import this file format correctly"...

a. Are you getting a generic import error message?

b. Is the aspect ratio not correct once you get the video to the Timeline and are

viewing it the Edit area monitor?

c. Are you getting import of out of sync audio? Are you getting a jerky preview even after you render the Timeline content?

d. Other?

Do you have the latest version of QuickTime installed on the computer with your Premiere Elements 12?

If you open a new project, can you import and use successfully a bunch of jpg photos while you cannot use successfully

your video source.

Let us start here and then decide what next based on your answers to these Premiere Elements questions.

ATR

Add On...As an aside, might be a good idea to update 12 to 12.1 if you have not already. Please use opened project and Help Menu/

Update.

• 3. Re: import .mov files
              Bert55 Level 1

Hi,

My iMac runs on OS X 10.9.3, newest version.

My camera gives AVCHD.mov (1920 x 1080) movies.

Interlaced or progressive, I have no idea... I'm not at home, so I cannot check this with the camera

"cannot import this file format correctly", I mean that I'm getting a jerky preview even after I render the Timeline content.

I'm running Quick Time player 10.3, playing the movies with Quick Time works perfect,

I've updated to 12.1 already

I know almost nothing about computers but I understand that I have to find out what the codec en format specifications are of my .mov files?

When I'm back home I'll try to follow the instructions that I read. Do I have to install the right codec and then it will be okay?

Bert

• 4. Re: import .mov files
                A.T. Romano Level 7

Bert55

We have most of the essential information that we need

Premiere Elements 12/12.1 on iMac OSX10.9.3

Source Media: AVCHD video codec (compression) with a .mov file extension (1920 x 1080). The only thing missing are

a. frame rate

b. interlaced or progressive (1080i vs 1080p)

I am hoping that we can get that information from your camera settings or knowing the brand/model/settings for this camera

that recorded your source media.

This may just be a matter of project settings. The project settings may have to be made manually instead of letting the program

do it for you automatically. Lots of details to put together. When you evaluate your situation tonight, please go to Edit Menu/

Project Settings/General and let us know what you see there for Editing Mode, Timebase, Frame Size, and Pixel Aspect

Ratio (even if the field look grayed out). That information plus the information on interlaced or progressive will direct us to

customized appropriate troubleshooting strategy.

Looking forward to your follow up.

Thank you.

ATR

• 5. Re: import .mov files
                  Bert55 Level 1

Hi,

I've just looked on my camera, the info about the used quality is: record quality AVCHD 1920 X 1080, 50i sensor output 25p 17 Mbps

there are also a lot of other options, but this is the used quality, with regards, Bert

• 6. Re: import .mov files
                    Bert55 Level 1

Some extra information I got using Media Inspector:

Format                           : AVC

Format/Info                      : Advanced Video Codec

Format profile                   : High@L4.0

Format settings, CABAC           : No

Format settings, ReFrames        : 2 frames

Format settings, GOP             : M=1, N=23

Codec ID                         : avc1

Codec ID/Info                    : Advanced Video Coding