15 Replies Latest reply on May 12, 2007 11:34 PM by mtlindsa

Illustrator files crash Fireworks

mtlindsa
      I just got started with Fireworks CS3, installed yesterday for the first time. I'm trying to open Illustrator files but Fireworks crashes every time. Installation went smoothly, I unistalled and reinstalled just to be sure. But, no luck, I can't open a single Illustrator file. I'm using Mac OS 10.4.9. Any suggestions would be helpful.
        • 1. Re: Illustrator files crash Fireworks
          Level 7
          mtlindsa wrote:

> I just got started with Fireworks CS3, installed yesterday for the first time.
          > I'm trying to open Illustrator files but Fireworks crashes every time.
          > Installation went smoothly, I unistalled and reinstalled just to be sure. But,
          > no luck, I can't open a single Illustrator file. I'm using Mac OS 10.4.9. Any
          > suggestions would be helpful.

Try opening an Illustrator v8 file.

--
          Linda Rathgeber [PVII] *Adobe Community Expert-Fireworks*
          --------------------------------------------------------------
          http://www.projectseven.com
          Fireworks Newsgroup: news://forums.projectseven.com/fireworks/
          CSS Newsgroup: news://forums.projectseven.com/css/
          http://www.adobe.com/communities/experts/
          • 2. Re: Illustrator files crash Fireworks
            Level 1
            What file format did you try to open that document created by Illustrator. And what version of Illustrator are you using?

Cheers, Brian

quote:

Originally posted by: mtlindsa
            I just got started with Fireworks CS3, installed yesterday for the first time. I'm trying to open Illustrator files but Fireworks crashes every time. Installation went smoothly, I unistalled and reinstalled just to be sure. But, no luck, I can't open a single Illustrator file. I'm using Mac OS 10.4.9. Any suggestions would be helpful.

• 3. Re: Illustrator files crash Fireworks
              mtlindsa Level 1
              I'm using Illustrator CS3. I tried different versions of Illustrator files, no matter. They all crash. If I log in with a different account, all is fine. Fireworks opens any and all Illustrator files just fine. That means, in my opinion, that there is a corrupt preference file or something somewhere in my main account. But, I tried to throw out everything and nothing corrects the problem. Adobe customer support says it's seen the problem but the only known solution is to switch accounts. This is a big hassle, in my opinion. So, right now I have no viable solution.
              • 4. Re: Illustrator files crash Fireworks
                Level 7
                mtlindsa wrote:

> I'm using Illustrator CS3. I tried different versions of Illustrator files, no
                > matter. They all crash. If I log in with a different account, all is fine.

Are you getting any kind of error message? Possible causes are
                moving the file to a new location, saving to a networked drive rather
                than to the drive mounted on the machine you are working on, using the
                program in User rather than in Administrator mode. It may even be a
                problem with missing or corrupted fonts.

Sometimes you can fix the problem by deleting the Fireworks preferences
                text file. On my machine, that file is located at

C:\Documents and Settings\Linda Rathgeber\Application
                Data\Macromedia\Fireworks 8\English

--
                • 5. Re: Illustrator files crash Fireworks
                  Level 1
                  Not sure what went wrong with your situation. Are you using Windows platform? If so, what version (be more specific) of Windows are you working with CS3 apps?

Have you tried to look into Adobe Illustrator CS3 (and/or Fireworks CS3) TechNote (Support page) related to your problem? Since I do not know the specific of your system architecture, so I don't know what else to say.

As for customer service at Adobe, when you say "customer service" do you mean tech support or customer service? When you wish to contact tech support, be sure it is the right contact path to reach Tech Support. I think it has a lot to do with corrupted perference file on your machine. If all resolution failed, then contact Tech Support and try again. If that doesn't work well, try this forum and go from there, ok?

Cheers, Brian

quote:

I'm using Illustrator CS3. I tried different versions of Illustrator files, no matter. They all crash. If I log in with a different account, all is fine. Fireworks opens any and all Illustrator files just fine. That means, in my opinion, that there is a corrupt preference file or something somewhere in my main account. But, I tried to throw out everything and nothing corrects the problem. Adobe customer support says it's seen the problem but the only known solution is to switch accounts. This is a big hassle, in my opinion. So, right now I have no viable solution.

• 6. Re: Illustrator files crash Fireworks
                    mtlindsa Level 1
                    Thanks, everyone, for your suggestions and support! They are greatly appreciated. I am on the Macintosh platform, using OS 10.4.9. I've tried opening any and every kind of Illustrator file I could find. Nothing works. I've also trashed any and all preference files. I actually spoke with techical support, specifically both a technology expert in Fireworks and his supervisor. The supervisor was the one who said that problem occured before and was not resolved. So far, this is not documented anywhere I can find on Adobe's web site. The only thing that works is for me to log in as on another account and everything works just fine.

These days, with the entire Creative Suite installed, there are so many files scattered everywhere on my hard drive and so many "support applications" that it is very difficult to isolate anything. Everything seems interdependent and very complex. I even reinstalled the entire Creative Suite twice because The Bridge wouldn't install properly (I was using the Photoshop public beta and I guess that's been a problem with many users trying to install the final version).

I don't mind starting over with a new user account on my computer, but it's a bit of a hassle setting things up all over again. I suspect there is one nasty little file that is making life hell for me. Finding it is kind of like finding a needle in a haystack, especially since I've eliminated all the obvious suspects.

Any and all suggestions are welcome. Thanks again.
                    • 7. Illustrator files crash Fireworks
                      Level 1
                      mtlindsa,

As for your system architecture version, I realized that I did overlooked on your first post. I was in middle of some important project at the same time reading forum discussions at Adobe forums. My bad. LOL

Anyway, when you say you did some beta test with Photoshop CS3 public beta. I think it is possible factor that contributed to some problems you are experiencing with.

Perhaps that you want to do a -- complete clean uninstall of entire package of CS3 components and all that. It is important that you read all instructions and steps *before* you proceed to install CS3 applications.

I am also curious... about how did you uninstall your CS3 applications and components? How did you uninstall in exact steps? Did you attempted to drag and drop the CS3 applications and such off your Application folders? Or did you performed a special clean script of CS3 provided by Adobe technote support page?

In this case of uninstalling CS3 applications/components on Mac, you could do that in the past. HOWEVER, it is a 'no no' procedure in doing this so with CS3 applications/components. To do that, use uninstaling by using a clean script provided Adobe tech help support page. It is important that you understand that you *cannot* drag and drop these CS3 applications off Application folder on your Mac.

Also be sure to deactivate all of these CS3 application(s) before uninstalling or performing a clean script to uninstall these application/components for you.

Uhm, I can't remember about something I had in my mind while typing some tip or suggestion about your problem. Uhm, be sure to do a complete back-up of your hard drive or any important files or documents on your disk BEFORE make an attempt to uninstall CS3 applications/components.

I get the feeling that you run into bad, a very bad case of big problem all together on your hard drive without realization of the consequence you did. But remember to DEACTIVATE the CS3 applications FIRST before uninstall or do a complete erase of your hard drive.

If all of my suggestion or tips failed to resolve your problem, you might want to double check with Adobe tech support first before do a COMPLETE clean of your hard drive as a final resolution to clean up the problem you are having.

On top of all, it is very important that you read all instructions or readme instructions BEFORE installing or uninstalling CS3 applications/components. The thing with CS3 procedure, it is totally different system of doing this than it was the case in the past. I think the installation and uninstallation procedure really sucks!

Does that help you this time and try to take one step at a time to correct the problem?

Let us know how things are going for you, ok?

Cheers, Brian
                      • 8. Re: Illustrator files crash Fireworks
                        mtlindsa Level 1
                        Brian,

Thanks again for your thoughtful and informative guidance. To answer you questions, I reinstalled three of four times. The first time was after the level-one cleaning, recommended by Adobe, of the beta software. That resulted in some very subtle, funky behavior, particularly in Bridge. Finally, I decided to run the more radical Unix script which was kind of scary considering the warnings accompanying it. That worked like a charm for the Creative Suite Design Premium. It now works flawlessly.

Then, I purchased Contribute and Fireworks. And here I am with my Fireworks problem. Now, I must admit, on my second unistall I did things improperly. I knew better but it was late and the basic uninstall script that comes with the Suite DVD is very erratic. It didn't uninstall a bunch of stuff, so I dragged them into the trash. My bad. Things got worse and I then ran the beta script and that did a very thorough job. So, I'll bet this Fireworks thing is some remnant of all that.

I think you are correct. The way to do this is to start over and clean everything related to CS3 out. That includes CS2 stuff that's still floating around the hard drive. That seems easier than recreating everything with a new account. In my case, a new account isn't as drastic as wiping clean the hard drive. It just means adding a user account and designating it as an administrator. That isolates out the user preferences and user-specific files, which solves the problem. It also means reconstructing ALL user preferences and permissions for all files and programs. Reinstalling the Creative Suite seems easier. I'll be very careful to follow the instructions provided by Adobe. I think I'll start early in the day with a fresh pot of coffee.

I think all this unistall, reinstall stuff was complicated by the public betas. I agree that I'm not happy with the situation. But, I did love using the beta software so I guess it's a tradeoff.

Thanks again,

Mark
                        • 9. Re: Illustrator files crash Fireworks
                          Level 1
                          Hi Mark,

That is what I thought about the nature of your problem you encountered with. It looks like that you will do quite a project to clean everything up on your hard drive and go easy with installation of all other applications and then CS3 gradually.

I can imagine that you are totally not happy with the problem. I probably would be totally ticked off when things gone badly. Things happen at times. I had some strange problem on my hard drive about two or three weeks ago on my Mac. It is very rare to have this problem pretty much. So it is kind of my first time having this problem with hard drive problem. So I did a complete erase and clean of my hard drive on my laptop. This time looks pretty neat. The thing is that I have to reinstall applications and then reactivate some of those applications and all that. That is a drag, but that is what is expected.

Hope everything works out nicely for you on your Mac this time. Let us know how things are with CS3 installation and all that. As for manually installing standalone applications of Contribute CS3 and Fireworks CS3, you might want to call Adobe tech support on which package (Design Premium CS3 package) or standalone Fw CS and standalone Contribute CS3 installed in order to smooth the whole CS3 applications working together and consolidate all of these application and components working together.

I can't remember how or what steps that I did installed my Design Premium CS3 and Fireworks CS3 standalone on my laptop and on other Mac - MacPro. But I didn't had any problems after installation of those two. But the only thing I recalled that I took my time and patience to install one at a time, then reboot and then install the other application, reboot. Then activate Design Premium CS3 and then activate Fw CS3 standalone.

I usually do monthly backups on three computers... and do weekly backups on those three computers as well. You never know what to expect of those hard drives at times. Oh well. Life, I guess.

Cheers, Brian

quote:

Brian,

Thanks again for your thoughtful and informative guidance. To answer you questions, I reinstalled three of four times. The first time was after the level-one cleaning, recommended by Adobe, of the beta software. That resulted in some very subtle, funky behavior, particularly in Bridge. Finally, I decided to run the more radical Unix script which was kind of scary considering the warnings accompanying it. That worked like a charm for the Creative Suite Design Premium. It now works flawlessly.

Then, I purchased Contribute and Fireworks. And here I am with my Fireworks problem. Now, I must admit, on my second unistall I did things improperly. I knew better but it was late and the basic uninstall script that comes with the Suite DVD is very erratic. It didn't uninstall a bunch of stuff, so I dragged them into the trash. My bad. Things got worse and I then ran the beta script and that did a very thorough job. So, I'll bet this Fireworks thing is some remnant of all that.

I think you are correct. The way to do this is to start over and clean everything related to CS3 out. That includes CS2 stuff that's still floating around the hard drive. That seems easier than recreating everything with a new account. In my case, a new account isn't as drastic as wiping clean the hard drive. It just means adding a user account and designating it as an administrator. That isolates out the user preferences and user-specific files, which solves the problem. It also means reconstructing ALL user preferences and permissions for all files and programs. Reinstalling the Creative Suite seems easier. I'll be very careful to follow the instructions provided by Adobe. I think I'll start early in the day with a fresh pot of coffee.

I think all this unistall, reinstall stuff was complicated by the public betas. I agree that I'm not happy with the situation. But, I did love using the beta software so I guess it's a tradeoff.

Thanks again,

Mark

• 10. Re: Illustrator files crash Fireworks
                            mtlindsa Level 1
                            Well, I'm completely stumped. I uninstalled the entire Creative Suite, following the rules fastidiously. I then slowly reinstalled, pausing, repairing permissions and restarting after every step. Fireworks behaved the exact same way, it crashed whenever trying to open any Illustrator file. I gave in and created a new user account. Fireworks worked well until I started using the other Creative Suite applications. Now it still opens Illustrator files, but only in certain ways. No longer can I drag and drop a file onto the dock, for example. Nor can I open it from the Welcome Window. When you choose "Open with" from the right-click contextual menu it won't give you Fireworks as a choice. I now think this is some sort of bug that shows up when one installs a stand-alone application to supplement one of the Creative Suites. It just behaves in a funky way. So, I'm giving up and going to use what I can until a revision is released. Thanks to all for you assistance.

Mark
                            • 11. Re: Illustrator files crash Fireworks
                              RogerGG
                              Mark,

I wish I had some solution that I could offer, but I'm writing here simply to commiserate as a fellow sufferer. I am experiencing the same problem you have described and have come to the forums in search of a solution myself. Hopefully someone from Adobe is monitoring these posts and will recocnize that this is not an isolated problem.

Although iI was not using the Photoshop CS3 beta package, I have--like yourself--upgraded to the CS3 Design Premium package and then added Fireworks as a standalone (all for the Mac OS X 10.4.9 system). I've created some files in illustrator CS3 that I wanted to import or open into fireworks, but every time I try I get the "spinning beachball." After a long wait, I invoke Force Quit and find the (not responding) message next to Fireworks.

That's the short of it. I haven't yet gone through all the various diagnostics and re-installs that you have... And given what I see in your posts, i'm not encouraged to. Hopefullly someone will come up with an answer, or Adobe will provide a fix of some sort. It's pretty frustrating though... I'd never used Fireworks before and was looking forward to getting started with it.
                              Roger
                              • 12. Re: Illustrator files crash Fireworks
                                Level 7
                                RogerGG wrote:

> I'd never used
                                > Fireworks before and was looking forward to getting started with it.

So get started with it by designing something in it. :-)

--
                                • 13. Re: Illustrator files crash Fireworks
                                  RogerGG Level 1
                                  Linda,

That was going to be my next step. However, I really would like to make use of the file integration capabilities that the CS3 suite talks so much about. I have years of experience working with Illustrator and was hoping to be able to parlay my established facility in the Illustrator environment to jumpstart further development for web design in the Fireworks environment.

In the midst of trying to develop real products on a deadline for paying clients, it can be a challenge to shift into "learning curve mode" to try to do a part of the job that is more easily done (for me) in another application.

Product integration seemed to be one of the big selling points as Adobe was rolling the new suite out. It's a good selling point and I look forward to when I can actually take advantage of it.

Actually, my next step is to see whether I can copy-and-paste discreet components from Illustrator to a Fireworks file. That at least will help make some use of the work I've already completed.

Wish me luck...
                                  Roger
                                  • 14. Re: Illustrator files crash Fireworks
                                    Level 7
                                    Try exporting from illustrator in a legacy format, like illustrator 8,
                                    and then see if you can open it in FW.

--
                                    • 15. Re: Illustrator files crash Fireworks
                                      mtlindsa Level 1
                                      Since my last post I have discovered others with the very same problem I had. This really seems like a bug with the stand-alone version of Fireworks interacting with the CS3 installed suite. Linda, I tried exporting any and all kinds of legacy documents from Illustrator and nothing worked. Roger, the user account switch wasn't too bad, now that I look back in retrospect. The good news is that Fireworks is holding steady now that I'm using the new user account. It isn't actiing 100% perfectly, but certainly good enough for production work. Thanks to everyone for their comments and suggestions. I've submitted a report to Adobe tech support and they've responded that they are looking into the problem.