10 Replies Latest reply on Jul 20, 2014 6:41 PM by A.T. Romano

"Adobe Media Core CS6 has stopped working" error.

Robert E 1949 Level 1

I have had Premiere Elements 11, Photoshop Elements and LR 4 installed for over a year on my Windows 7 computer. Over the last couple months, within a few minutes of turning on my computer I get an error that Adobe Media Core CS6 has stopped working. It seems like this might be related to Premiere but I have not been able to find a solution. This occurs even if I have not run any of my installed programs. Any suggestions what is causing this and how to fix it?

• 1. Re: "Adobe Media Core CS6 has stopped working" error.
          A.T. Romano Level 7

robert e 1949

Do you have any Internet filters on your computer?

I have seen at least one report where the "Adobe Media Core CS6" was popping up related to a NetNanny Internet program blocking the AdobeQT32 Server.

Also, does the problem disappear if you disable the antivirus or firewall?

ATR

• 2. Re: "Adobe Media Core CS6 has stopped working" error.
            Robert E 1949 Level 1

I have AVG Antivirus, Windows Firewall and Malware Bytes Anti-Malware running, but they pre-date the problem unless the issue is due to an update. I was just looking over the error logs again and see that the WERReportMetadata.xml file indicates the parent process is LR4, Maybe I should have posted on that forum. It also lists a problem signature parameter of Adobe QT32 Server.exe, so it looks like your suggestion is on track. (I looked at the error files before, but think I got lost in the .txt file that went on forever.)  I will try checking my firewall to see if it is somehow causing the problem but that will take some shutdown/reboot cycles and some time.

• 3. Re: "Adobe Media Core CS6 has stopped working" error.
              A.T. Romano Level 7

robert e 1949

Thanks for the helpful follow up information.

It would be a good idea to evaluate the issue with and without the antivirus disabled. Recent updates of the antivirus program could be involved. So, best we rule that factor in or out.

You might want to get some opinions from the Adobe Lightroom people on the matter before you explore a possible uninstall of Lightroom 4 for troubleshooting purposes.

With any uninstalls/reinstalls, please consider using the ccleaner run through (regular and registry) between the uninstall and the reinstall in order to get rid of any leftovers from incomplete uninstalls and reinstalls.

CCleaner - PC Optimization and Cleaning - Free Download

When you get the time, please update us on your progress.

Thank you.

ATR

• 4. Re: "Adobe Media Core CS6 has stopped working" error.
                Robert E 1949 Level 1

The problem has not recurred after several start-ups/restarts. What I did was as follows:

Based on your suggestion and the contents of the WERReportMetadata.xml file, I searched for occurrences of Adobe QT32 Server.exe. It was found in three locations:

c:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 4.4\Support\DynamicLinkMediaServer\dynamiclinkmediaserver\1.0

c:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Premiere Elements11\32

c:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Elements 11 Organizer\CAHeadless\32

I am using Windows 7 Firewall.

In Control Panel, open it and then select "Allow a program of feature through Windows Firewall." Click on "Change Settings" towards top, then if the program does not show up on the list, click "Allow another program" towards the bottom. Either find the .exe file on the list or browse to the location where it was found (see above) and select the file.Since the .xml file indicated LR4 as the parent process, I selected that instance. Then open/add/ok and exit out of control panel.

It's possible a different firewall program would have accommodated this directly. While entering these notes, I went ahead and added the other two instances of Adobe QT32 Server.exe to my allowed list just in case and to refresh myself on the steps. I have not restarted yet, but if I encounter any unexpected issues with that I will add to the post.

This would have made more sense if the error showed up when running the Adobe software, I didn't think that the QT software would have to start without the applications running.

Thanks for your help.

• 5. Re: "Adobe Media Core CS6 has stopped working" error.
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

Robert E 1949

Great news. Great job. And, great contribution to those who run into the same issue.

In this regard, the details of your observations and problem fix are much appreciated.

Best wishes

ATR

• 6. Re: "Adobe Media Core CS6 has stopped working" error.
                    Robert E 1949 Level 1

Just when I thought it was safe to go back into the water... After about 3 days and several startup/restart cycles, the problem recurred earlier today. I haven't had a chance to troubleshoot it yet, but thought I should update the thread.

• 7. Re: "Adobe Media Core CS6 has stopped working" error.
                      A.T. Romano Level 7

Robert E 1949

Thanks for the update. Disturbing that the problem should reappear.

Looking forward to your troubleshooting results, especially

a. any details/happenings involved immediately before the problem reappeared

b. any chance of any firewall settings changing automatically

c. any recent computer updates, whether computer related or antivirus related

d. maybe a System Restore might be indicated

Thinking positive thoughts to getting back to all is well again.

ATR

• 8. Re: "Adobe Media Core CS6 has stopped working" error.
                        Robert E 1949 Level 1

I had not saved the detail files earlier today (it appears they disappear on a restart), but did a shutdown/startup a short time ago and had a recurrence again. (Although two subsequent cycles did not generate the error.) I saved the files and the .xml file indicates the parent process was Elements 11 Organizer this time, not LR4.

I had been living with this problem for a while, one of the set of saved error file sets was from 5/1. I don't recall for sure if that was from the first occurrence of the error, but I decided to look for other programs installed just before that time. I see that Adobe Creative Cloud was installed the day before, 4/30. I don't recall how/why that was installed since I don't have any Cloud products. Also installed on 4/30 were three Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributable files, which show installation times one minute before the Creative Cloud installation, so I assume they are part of the Cloud installation. The next most recent (before 5/1) installed program was Smith Micro Anime Studio Pro 9.5, which was installed on 4/29.

The firewall settings have not changed. I was in a chat with my ISP when the problem occurred this afternoon, but not during the latest occurrence. I don't recall any updates since 6/24. I believe the error had occurred every time I started my computer before the Firewall changes, but it seems to be more sporadic now.

I will see what else I can come up with tomorrow since it is getting late. I wanted to get this all down before I lost my thoughts.

Update 7/5:

I have more information, but still no solution.

I found this thread Adobe Media Core CS6 has stopped working related to the same error, but it had no solution. The error did not occur when I exited PS Elements or Premiere Elements as it did for that person.

I also found Adobe media core cs6 stopped working......??? and tried the steps to rebuild the Photoshop Elements editor preferences file, but no success.

I had noticed that Adobe Creative Cloud was installed the day before, so I uninstalled it. Error still occurred.

I installed a different firewall (Zone Alarm Free) and disabled Windows Defender, error still occurs.

Uninstalled Anime Studio Pro (that had been installed a couple days before, error still occurred.

I will provide more updates as I try more changes.

Update 7/20:

More things I tried:

Repaired quicktime via control panel, did not fix

Uninstalled quicktime, error did not recur

I noticed that there remained a plug-ins folder in the quicktime folder, so I renamed it.

Reinstalled quicktime from Apple site on 7/12 and the CS6 error has not recurred.

Additional info not directly related to original question, but occurred afterwards.

I don't think it is related, but a few days later started getting a small blank MFC CTxfiHlp window upon windows startup. I haven't resolved that yet, but it is related to my Creative XFi sound card.

I also noted when I reinstalled Anime Studio Pro that the readme contains a warning that 64 bit windows does not support quicktime; that I should use the 32 bit version of their software.

I installed the latest Creative sound card software, but started getting lockups. Still working on this, but the original problem seems to be solved.

The only other thing I can think of is that iTunes software had been installed, but I removed it. It is possible that caused a problem with quicktime??

Anyway, the removal of quicktime (including the Plug Ins) and re-install did resolve my problem.

• 9. Re: "Adobe Media Core CS6 has stopped working" error.
                          Robert E 1949 Level 1

FYI, if you look at the comments added to earlier post, the answer seems to be to completely uninstall quicktime and reinstall it. I just edited the older post, which was probably not the correct way to get the info into the thread, but wasn't sure what else to do.

• 10. Re: "Adobe Media Core CS6 has stopped working" error.
                            A.T. Romano Level 7

Robert E 1949

Thanks for the important update.

Great job of follow up on the communications.

I think that your correct answer marking will point the reader to your posts 8 and 9 and what worked for you.

Best wishes

ATR.