2 Replies Latest reply on Jun 23, 2014 5:04 PM by deathinmyvein

Working with Instances, adding an event and Embedding a video!

deathinmyvein

Hello guys,

I am new here and a novice in flash.
      I have been going through tutorials for a couple of days.
      I was trying to make a CBT. I have some video recordings for the same.
      My requirement is to wrap the entire CBT in a Flash based window.
      I downloaded a free template from internet and am trying to work with the same.
      But I am unable to understand it completely. I am attaching the template here.
      Could anyone explain how it works?
      The template uses multiple instances of library items and hence when i add a text or make any changes, it reflects on all instances instead of the particular instance on which I need it.
      Also I want to add events on buttons so that my videos are played when one clicks on the dropdown menu.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
      Thanks in advance

http://f1.creativecow.net/file/7658/7658_rollovermenututorial.fla.zip

• 1. Re: Working with Instances, adding an event and Embedding a video!
          Ned Murphy Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Anytime you modify a library symbol you are modifying all instances of it.  You'll need to go thru the code to see how things like text and/or frame numbers are defined.  Unfortunately, with AS1/2 code can live on objects which can make it difficult to find at times.  So not only do you need to check the timeline code but you also need to click on the objects (or objects within objects) to find code living on them.  On top of that, there is a general tendency for templates to be poorly designed - especially if they are free.  So you might have an even harder time trying to reason out how the file works.

• 2. Re: Working with Instances, adding an event and Embedding a video!
            deathinmyvein Level 1

Thanks a lot for the reply.

Would you be able to provide some inputs regarding the template above. It would be helpful to know how to add an event to a button.
            If I want new buttons with texts, is it better to go for new layers overlaying the existing ones and converting them to button symbol and defining events in them?
            Any suggestions on embedding a video and adding a click event would be greatly helpful.
            Thank you