17 Replies Latest reply on Jul 2, 2014 8:23 PM by A.T. Romano

Having Bad Playback Quality, How to Fix?

Static_Unit

This has never happened before, but recently, the playback quality in Premiere Elements 11 has been quite poor. The videos that I am adding to the timeline were taken using a GoPro Hero 3+ and are in all saved in .mp4 files and were filmed in 1080p 60fps (if that helps). When I add one one of them to the timeline, when I press play, it will play fine for about 2 seconds and then begin to skip frames. The audio plays just fine. I don't think this is a rendering problem as it still happens when just one video is added to the timeline. I've tried rendering it as well but have had no success. I have looked up various solutions but none have worked so far. My computer meets all the requirements and I am not pulling the videos directly from an SD card; I transfer them to the hard drive first. Any suggestions on how to fix this? This is a new problem and GoPro videos have worked in Elements in the past. Thanks!

• 1. Re: Having Bad Playback Quality, How to Fix?
          Static_Unit Level 1

Oh and if it helps, this is happening on both my desktop computer and laptop (which I was recently able to download Premiere on, creds to AT Romano and John T. Smith).

• 2. Re: Having Bad Playback Quality, How to Fix?
            A.T. Romano Level 7

Static_Unit

What are the properties of your video from the GoPro Hero3+?

You appear to be using as your source video  AVCHD.mp4 (1920 x 1080 @ 60 progressive frames per second).

What have you or the project set for the project preset based on the properties of this source video. Please tell us

what you see under Edit Menu/Project Settings/General for Editing Mode, Timebase, Frame Size, and Pixel Aspect Ratio.

When you drag your video to the Expert workspace for the first time, is there an orange line over that video in the Timeline?

The answers to the above will direct us in our troubleshooting strategy.

Thank you.

ATR

Add On...I will be back in a moment with a screenshot of the Timeline to demonstrate the orange line to which I was referring.

• 3. Re: Having Bad Playback Quality, How to Fix?
              A.T. Romano Level 7

Static_Unit

With regard to my post number 4, the following is a screenshot which shows the orange render indicator line to which I was

referring in post 4.

OrangeLine.JPG

ATR

• 4. Re: Having Bad Playback Quality, How to Fix?
                Static_Unit Level 1

Ok here is what I found in the Project Settings:

-Editing Mode: "AVCHD 1080p square pixel"

-Timebase: 59.94 frames/second

-Frame Size: 1920x1080

-Pixel Aspect Ratio: Square Pixels (1.0)

The settings on my GoPro are:

-1080p wide view (not SuperView)

-60fps

There is no orange line when I drag the clip to the timeline, but there is also not a green line.

I fixed this issue on my desktop by switching the playback quality from highest to automatic but this did not work for my laptop.

• 5. Re: Having Bad Playback Quality, How to Fix?
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

Static_Unit

Thanks for the update. Good news and excellent job with the desktop computer and changing the Playback Quality settings to get good playback quality for your source video when it is previewing in the Edit area monitor.

From your report, the project preset setting are right on, match between project preset and properties of source media. Under those conditions, you will have no colored line over the Timeline content, indicating no need for rendering and none possible because the program has decided that you are then seeing the best possible preview it can give you. But, once you start editing that source video, an orange render indicator line will appear. That is the program telling you that you need the Timeline render to get that best possible preview in the Edit area monitor. Thereafter, each unrendered and rendered will go from orange to green respectively, no more no colored line in the back and forth between unrendered and rendered. Bottom line: we seem to be OK on this phase of the troubleshooting.

What about the laptop and the playback quality of this same video? Apparently the Playback Quality setting change has not helped. Let us do this to decide if the problem is confined to Editing area or whether there is a basic problem with this video in Premiere Elements in this particular computer. Export the Timeline content to an export of your choice and determine the quality of the export playback in your computer player.

What is the video card/graphics card being used in the desktop and laptop computer? Is the laptop computer card up to date according to the web site of the manufacturer of the card? Is there a major resource difference between the desktop and laptop computers?

Please review and consider and we will discuss in this to pin point the cord of the remaining problems in Premiere Elements in the laptop. A just in case question, taking Premiere Elements out of the equation, how does the video play back with the computer player (before it even see Premiere Elements).

ATR

• 6. Re: Having Bad Playback Quality, How to Fix?
                    Static_Unit Level 1

Ok, so I exported the timeline and saved it in a .mp4 1920x1080 30fps format and it played just fine, almost identical to the file straight from the GoPro (which plays flawlessly before Premiere Elements). There was no skipping/lagging whatsoever.

There is a slight difference between the Laptop and Desktop. The desktop has an Intel 2.7 Ghz processor while the Laptop has a 2.0 Ghz one. I am not sure about the graphics/video cards. The laptop (2010 Sony Vaio) is about two years older than the desktop

Also, I discovered today that the desktop is not completely fixed. It is much better than before but the playback still goes in and out of lagging.

• 7. Re: Having Bad Playback Quality, How to Fix?
                      A.T. Romano Level 7

Static_Unit

Great news about the laptop export quality OK as compared to its not so OK previewing....points to display issue and maybe a resource issue.

But, not so good news when you report...

Also, I discovered today that the desktop is not completely fixed. It is much better than before but the playback still goes in and out of lagging.

Have you done the Edit area preview versus Publish+Share export quality testing for Premiere Elements on desktop computer as you did your Premiere Elements on laptop computer?

We might want to take a deeper look at the details of those computers.

In each, please go to Device Manager/Display Adapters/ where you should see the name of your video card/graphics card. Double click the card name there to bring up the card properties. Under the Driver Tab, please tell us what it shows for Driver Date and Driver Version.

(Also, if you find more than 1 card showing in Device Manager/Display Adapters/, please tell us that also.

Also, let us know amount of RAM installed and how much free hard drive space is available on each computer.

Thanks.

ATR

• 8. Re: Having Bad Playback Quality, How to Fix?
                        Static_Unit Level 1

I did the timeline export on the desktop. Worked perfectly without skipping.

On the Laptop--> (Only Card)

-Graphics Card: Intel(R) HD Graphics

-Driver Date: 4/21/2010

-Version: 8.15.10.2119

-248GB of hard drive space

On the Desktop--> (Only Card)

-Graphics Card: Intel(R) HD Graphics Family

-Driver Date: 5/21/2011

-Version: 8.15.10.2401

-782GB of hard drive space

Both the laptop and the desktop have 4GB of RAM.

• 9. Re: Having Bad Playback Quality, How to Fix?
                          A.T. Romano Level 7

Static_Unit

The details are sounding like a previewing issue rather than an overall program problem.

You may want to explore the Intel Tool that is supposed to tell you which driver you need

http://www.intel.com/p/en_US/support/detect/graphics

But before you do that, if you have not already, right click the Edit area monitor, select Playback Quality

and then switch from Automatic to Highest, and determine if your Edit area monitor playback situation

has improved.

Thanks.

ATR

• 10. Re: Having Bad Playback Quality, How to Fix?
                            Static_Unit Level 1

Sorry for the late reply! I followed that link and requested the update but I received this message:

A customized computer manufacturer driver is installed on your computer. The Intel Driver Update Utility is not able to update the driver. Installing a generic Intel driver instead of the customized computer manufacturer driver may cause technical issues. Contact your computer manufacturer for the latest driver for your computer.

So I'm assuming no luck here. The playback quality is set to automatic.

Is there anything else to try, or should I delete and then reinstall elements?

• 11. Re: Having Bad Playback Quality, How to Fix?
                              A.T. Romano Level 7

Static_Unit

I know you are working on Premiere Elements 11. Did you say what computer operating system it is running on? For now I will assume Windows 7, 8, or 8.1 64 bit. Let us try a round about aim at the video card driver via deletion of the BadDrivers.txt file.

Local Disk C

Program Data

Adobe

Premiere Elements

and in the 11.0 Folder is the BadDrivers.txt file that you delete. Make sure that you are working with Folder Option Show Hidden Files, Folders, and Drives active so that you can see the complete path cited. After the program is opened again after that, a new BadDrivers.txt file will be generated but hopefully the problem is gone. The rationale behind the deletion of the BadDrivers.txt file is found in post 10 of this older thread. Still applicable for versions after 9.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&ved=0CB8QFjAA&url=https%3A %2F%2Fforums.adobe.com%2Fthrea…

If you do decide to do the uninstall reinstall, please do the sequence....

a. Deactivate the program in an opened project via Help Menu/Deactivate

b. Then uninstall the usual Control Panel route

c. Do a ccleaner run through (regular cleaner and registry cleaner parts)

d. Reinstall the program with antivirus and firewall turned off.

Please update us on your progress when you get a chance.

Thank you.

ATR

• 12. Re: Having Bad Playback Quality, How to Fix?
                                Static_Unit Level 1

So I went to the Intel website and downloaded an update for the graphics card though this didn't seem to help. After this, I deleted the BadDrivers.txt file but Premiere created another one that contained "false" within it and the problem was still not fixed Does this mean that Premiere is not running the video through the graphics card?

As a last resort I went through the steps you described and uninstalled and reinstalled the program. This didn't fix this problem either.

Are there any other things I should try? Both computers run Windows 7 (64 bit).

• 13. Re: Having Bad Playback Quality, How to Fix?
                                  A.T. Romano Level 7

Static_Unit

Just a quick note for now. More later.

At this time, is the problem of Premiere Elements playback quality confined to GoPro and any new project?

Are you getting decent quality for playback of non GoPro video and/or jpeg photos?

To be continued...

ATR

• 14. Re: Having Bad Playback Quality, How to Fix?
                                    Static_Unit Level 1

I have made an interesting discovery that might help solve the problem. I took a quick video on my iPhone and put it into Premiere and it worked just fine. Then out of curiosity, I put a GoPro video into Windows Live Movie Maker. Surprisingly, the playback quality was still shoddy (Just like in premiere elements). So this has led me to believe that this is a GoPro problem, not an Elements problem. Any suggestions on where to go from here?

• 15. Re: Having Bad Playback Quality, How to Fix?
                                      A.T. Romano Level 7

Static_Unit

Thanks for the updates.

Interesting since many have been reporting problem using iPhone video as source media - typical problems are audio out of sync or simply cannot import those media. But I have not run into those issues with iPhone 5 and iPod touch 4th generation sources. That issue appear to go to the use of a variable rather than a constant frame rate in these files.

Please remind me how much pre-possessing of GoPro footage you do with GoPro software before it gets into Premiere Elements. How much exploration and experimentation have you done with the recording settings of the GoPro camera?

ATR

• 16. Re: Having Bad Playback Quality, How to Fix?
                                        Static_Unit Level 1

In terms of pre-processing, I've done none. I take all of my GoPro videos in 1080p 60fps wide view (usually not the "SuperView" option) and transfer the files from the GoPro SD card to a folder on my computer. What's strange though is that I've used these settings on the GoPro and have been able to edit them in Premiere Elements and create a video (this was about two months ago, but I used videos from a Canon Rebel as well).

I haven't messed around too much with the settings. I may try to capture a video in 48fps to see if that makes a difference. And are there any ways to process the GoPro videos prior to putting them in Premiere? They come off the camera in .mp4 files.

• 17. Re: Having Bad Playback Quality, How to Fix?
                                          A.T. Romano Level 7

Static_Unit

I am anticipating problems if you record with the 48 frames per second frame rate and bring that into Premiere Elements. You may end up having to take

the video into HandBrake or the like and adjust the frame rate from 48 to 25, 50, 30, or 60 frames per second.

I would need to do my homework on pre-processing of GoPro before import into Premiere Elements. I will see what I can put together on that thought.

Please remind me...right now you are working with 1920 x 1080 16:9 @60 progressive frames per second, as an AVCHD.mp4 file? What happens if

you record at 1920 x 1080 @ 29.97 progressive frames per second?

ATR