10 Replies Latest reply on Jun 25, 2014 4:43 PM by MaryBethMN Branched from an earlier discussion.

FX not working as expected - iPad

MaryBethMN

I am having the exact same problem on my iPad - I can select an area, and it appears to make the adjustment, but when I hit the 'apply' green check mark, it exits out and looks no different.  I made the effect more and less pronounced, to make sure I was actually seeing a change while I was in the effect (tried both dodge and burn and curve), and it always reverts after applying. If I choose a different tool, it works fine - I can paint the same area blue with no problem.  I just bought this app last week, and there have been no updates, so I am very disappointed.  I know for a fact that the same effect worked on my Galaxy Note 2 last year, that is why I found and bought the app for my ipad....

• 1. Re: FX not working as expected - iPad
          MaryBethMN Level 1

OK, messing with this a little more, first on my Note 3, it appears that this is a strange, subtle difference in behavior.  If I use the lasso select to grab an area, and apply a fx effect, it appears to modify the whole selected area, but when I hit the 'apply', the effect disappears. But, if I then select the brush from within the effect, I can paint the effect, anywhere inside of my selected area - but not outside.  If I paint in the effect that way, and then deselect, it appears to take.  If I use a different tool, like just the paint tool, and use the lasso to select, the effect is applied to the whole selected area, as expected, and stays applied...this works the same way on my ipad..

• 2. Re: FX not working as expected - iPad
            ibarrien Adobe Employee

Btw - which Note 3 do you have exactly?

• 3. Re: FX not working as expected - iPad
              MaryBethMN Level 1

T Mobile, but I did not try the tutorials on there, just tested out the fx effects on that..

• 4. Re: FX not working as expected - iPad
                ibarrien Adobe Employee

1. OK, messing with this a little more, first on my Note 3, it appears that this is a strange, subtle difference in behavior.  If I use the lasso select to grab an area, and apply a fx effect, it appears to modify the whole selected area, but when I hit the 'apply', the effect disappears.

2. But, if I then select the brush from within the effect, I can paint the effect, anywhere inside of my selected area - but not outside.  If I paint in the effect that way, and then deselect, it appears to take. 

Btw,

1 this is expected behaviour. You need to paint the areas that you want to have the effect. The apply only selects the effect and gives you a preview. It's
                up to you to paint the areas you want to have the effects

I'm not sure if I understand what you mean by

But, if I then select the brush from within the effect, I can paint the effect, anywhere inside of my selected area - but not outside.  If I paint in the effect that way, and then deselect, it appears to take.

• 5. Re: FX not working as expected - iPad
                  ibarrien Adobe Employee

Ok, it would be great if you could give me the complete information from the about info box in the Android settings.

I'm interested in if you can apply effects on your note 3 and which ROM you have on your device.

A  screen shot would be just fine. Just try to avoid that personal information shows up in the image.

Otherwise you can send me the info privately as a message.

Thanks,

Ignacio

• 6. Re: FX not working as expected - iPad
                    MaryBethMN Level 1

Jut a misunderstanding of the difference between the preview of the effect that happens when I select an area with, say, the lasso tool, so I have a selected area, and I pick the effect, and see the effect applied across that whole area (so had expected that to be the whole application step), and the apparent need to actually select the area I want the effect to be applied to using the brush..it seemed weird to me that the area selected with the lasso tool was not really selected, but it sounds like it is selected to preview the effect.  But if that is not a real selection, then why would it matter if I wanted to use the brush to apply the effect outside of the lassoed area?  But, you don't have to waste any cycles trying to explain it to me, I am a novice sort of stumbling through the wonders of the tool, and can accept an answer of 'that is just how it works'..thanks for your responses.

• 8. Re: FX not working as expected - iPad
                      MaryBethMN Level 1

I just applied an area of gaussian blur to a random lassoed spot on a photo, and it applied it, saved over deselecting area, and survived saving of the project - so that worked..

• 9. Re: FX not working as expected - iPad
                        ibarrien Adobe Employee

MaryBethMN wrote:

1. Jut a misunderstanding of the difference between the preview of the effect that happens when I select an area with, say, the lasso tool, so I have a selected area, and I pick the effect, and see the effect applied across that whole area (so had expected that to be the whole application step), and the apparent need to actually select the area I want the effect to be applied to using the brush..

2. it seemed weird to me that the area selected with the lasso tool was not really selected, but it sounds like it is selected to preview the effect.  But if that is not a real selection, then why would it matter if I wanted to use the brush to apply the effect outside of the lassoed area?  But, you don't have to waste any cycles trying to explain it to me, I am a novice sort of stumbling through the wonders of the tool, and can accept an answer of 'that is just how it works'..thanks for your responses.

Hi,

when it comes to #1 it's kind of important to mention if you are using the fx brush or not. It can be easy to misunderstand otherwise. If you use the fx brush then it's like I mentioned earlier, that you only get a preview. If you however use the effect without brushing then it should be applied right away.

About #2 - areas are selected as soon as you have a selection . It would make less sense to show how the complete canvas looks with an effect when you only need it for a smaller area.

Summarising: fx brush is different from fx, no matter if selection or not it does not get applied until you paint/brush after having seen the preview. If you have a selection only the selected area will be applied once painted/brushed on.

• 10. Re: FX not working as expected - iPad
                          MaryBethMN Level 1

THANK YOU!!  I think I got it now, and will definitely do some of the fine tutorials I am seeing.  It is amazing how much I have managed to get done with this tool just wandering around, but there is so much more, when you understand the little things!