5 Replies Latest reply on Jun 25, 2014 7:18 AM by A.T. Romano

Elements 12 video player automatically pauses & video time line

TheMayor

Hi Everyone,

I'm trying to use Premier elements 12 to do a few things & cannot find the answer to a few questions I have & was hoping someone could help me

1)  When using the elements video player (one built in) if I start to play a video, it's automatically pauses after about 7 seconds.  Is there a way to have it not auto pause?

2)  When I bring in a video & look at the "Video1" bar, I notice the video only shows for about 30 seconds & then there is a blue space.  How do I get the video clip to show thru out (in the Video1 bar) ?

Thanks

• 1. Re: Elements 12 video player automatically pauses & video time line
          A.T. Romano Level 7

TheMayor

What computer operating system is your Premiere Elements 12 running on? Could use that information if we get into any computer specific Q&A details.

I think that we need to start with

a. What are the properties of what you are importing into your project, such as...

video compression

audio compression

frame size

frame rate

interlaced or progressive

file extension

pixel aspect ratio

We need that information as it relates to the next question. We could direct you to video audio properties readout program for the information but let us try to get the necessary information from knowledge of the brand/model/settings of the camera that recorded the video.

b. What is the project preset that you or the program is setting to match the properties of the source video?

(See Edit Menu/Project Settings/General and tell us what you see for Editing Mode, Timebase, Frame Rate, Pixel Aspect Ratio - even if the

fields look grayed out).

c. When you are playing your Timeline content in the Edit area monitor is there an orange line over its content.

OrangeLine.JPG

d. To the left of the name "Video 1" is a filmstrip icon. That represents the video display style. It has 4 different display types. You toggle to get the display type that you want - assumed the one where video thumbnails populate the whole Timeline clip's duration. That is the display type which is seen in the above screenshot. So, one click at a time on the filmstrip icon until you get the preferred video display style. The audio tracks also have display styles - only two different ones not four like the video display style. (For audio, see the speaker icon to the left of the name "Audio 1")

Please review, consider, and supply the necessary information. Then we will sort through the details to discover the core of your reported issue.

Thank you.

ATR

• 2. Re: Elements 12 video player automatically pauses & video time line
            TheMayor Level 1

Hello...

First computer info:

I7 3770K with 16 GB  Ram.   PE 12 is installed on SSD drive, with Window 7 Users folder defaulted to Sata Drive.  Video card is a GTX 670 & I have two monitors  1)  27"  that uses 2560x1440 res & a 24" that uses 1920x1080 res

Capture video, captured audio, video previews, audio previews & Disc Encoding is set to a 3rd sata disk with 600 GB free.  "Media Cache" is set for default (SSD)

Video clip info (using properties feature from PE 12) -  Video was created by using screen capture from a program called "ATube Catcher"

Image Size:  1280x720

Frame Rate 29.97

Source Audio format 48000 Hz - compressed -Stereo

Project Audio format - 48000 Hz - 32 bit floating point - Stereo

Pixel Aspect Ratio: 1.0

file extension - MP4

If I am missing something, please let me know if there is a separate program I should use to get this info

I do see the orange line like in your picture & by pressing the video clip icon, I was able to get the video "thumb nails" to show thru out the video

Project Preset:

062314_PE_Set.JPG

• 3. Re: Elements 12 video player automatically pauses & video time line
              A.T. Romano Level 7

TheMayor

Your project setting are for the

NTSC

AVCHD

AVCHD-LITE 720p30

Please confirm that what you are recording with the ATube Catcher is

1280 x 720 @ 29.97 progressive frames per second,

and  the file has a file extension of .mp4.

What is the video compression as well as audio compression that you have selected for the recording?

What alternative does the ATube Catcher program give you in this regard?

I was hoping that your recording program or camera would give us the compression information to rule in or out.

The MediaInfo video audio properties readout program is great for supplying this type of information. But we careful for unwanted

carry alongs with the MediaInfo download and install.

http://sourceforge.net/projects/mediainfo/

But, if you can do without and just get the information from your software, that would be great.

Some screen capture program can yield video that can be problematic for Premiere Elements (any version).

We will watch for the details to supplement those that you have just supplied.

Your follow up is much appreciated.

ATR

Add On...I may want circle back to your dual monitor situation later, but I want to make sure of the project settings at the onset.

• 4. Re: Elements 12 video player automatically pauses & video time line
                TheMayor Level 1

Hello,

I forgot the clip I tried was one converted to an MP4 using Microsoft Movie maker, so I am trying a clip that was downloaded from YouTube using Atube catcher (In this case a MP4 file), which Media info shows the following

Capture55.JPG

As far as settings go on Atube, there really isn't much to change (settings wise), just more of selecting the overall format output like shown below:

The clip I'm testing with, I can't remember if I used MP4 Video 1200kbps or MP4 High Def 1080p...  I believe it was the 1080p

Capture50.jpg

However that being said, I did try experimenting playing other clips & some seemed to play longer & then automatically pause compared to others.

I guess I'm confused on how a video can cause playback to pause, when it will play fine in VLC or WMP, especially when no effects whatsoever has been added

• 5. Re: Elements 12 video player automatically pauses & video time line
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

TheMayor

If possible could you work through the following and let us know the results....

Open Premiere Elements 12 to its Expert workspace.

Go to File Menu/New/Project and Change Settings. In Change Settings, set the project preset to

NTSC

DSLR

1080p

DLSR 1080p30@29.97

In the new project dialog (before you exit that area), be sure to place a check mark next to "Force Selected Project Setting on This Project".

Then back in the Premiere Elements 12 Expert workspace, import your video file which should be the 1080p

(1920 x 1080 @ 29.97/30 progressive frames per second). Does this Timeline content have an orange line over its content? It should not.

What is the quality of the playback of this file with no colored line over its contents?

It is my recollection that YouTube and places like that do not provide in its Licensing Agreement for "downloads" of other people's uploads.

So, I am wondering if this is factoring into the problem equation. But right now let us focus on the generalized question of a 1080p playback

in your computer Premiere Elements environment.

What you might want to check out...create your own 1080p in Premiere Elements and then import it back into the program and observe its

playback performance.

We will be watching for further developments.

ATR