9 Replies Latest reply on May 5, 2007 2:05 AM by BackinMac

Advice for a new FW user

BackinMac
      I'm about to upgrade to CS3 and as most of you know the debate is "..do I go to Web Premium or Design Premium?"

I have only used FW once in version 8 and that was for optimising some images, other than that I've used PS for everything I guess people using FW for. I question why it would be worthwhile to have a package that includes both PS and FW. I understand that FW is much better for optimising images, but what other benefit will it offer over PS?

I've watched the Adobe flash videos for FW CS3, but still don't get it. I can prototype in PS just as they demonstrate FW to do. Have I missed something? Can you prototype in FW and then move the whole thing to DW to be coded? (I should mention I've never used DW, I hand code everything).

I'd really appreciate you guys explaining FW features and benefits from a user's point of view. I don't want to make the wrong upgrade decision.

Thanks
        • 1. Re: Advice for a new FW user
          prach
          FW and Ps are both superior in their own way.Depends on which media you are using them for.The recent versions of FW provide you with just about anything, be it image editing or color correction u name it n its there.Its no more only about optimising images.There are instances where it can be used for protyping too. The animation support in firworks..isn't that an add on over PS??
          Yes you can very well protype in fireworks n then code in DW.

Ur upgradation issue solely depends on as i previously said the media ur working for and how comfortable u r with the related software.

Regards,
          Prachi
          • 2. Re: Advice for a new FW user
            Level 1
            There is a difference between Photoshop CS3 and Fireworks CS3.

Fireworks CS3 is specifically designed for web medium (web images and web graphic). While Photoshop CS3 is pretty much high-end, professional and very nice quality image editing application.

To specificially address the difference between Fw CS3 and Ps CS3, Fw CS3 is a hybrid vector and bitmap-based web graphic/photo editing application, while Ps is a bitmap image editing application. That is a big difference between Fw and Ps for that feature.

If you mostly work with website, perhaps that you want to focus on Fireworks CS3 this time. The question is: why do you need Photoshop for? You really need to sit down and consider the feature and requirement, and your plan to use Fw CS3 as opposed to Ps CS3.

As for mocking up the layout, you can do that rather effectively and productive way with Fireworks CS3.

You can open .PSD files in Fireworks. However, you need to understand the primary functionality and how these two application works and differs.
            • 3. Advice for a new FW user
              jsteinmann Level 1
              If you want to consider yourself a professional in this industry, you need to be well versed in both applications. People can make the argument either way as to why you should own one or the other, but the bottomline is you should own both.

Photoshop has been the leading image editing software since the internet existed. It's the standard by which anyone doing anything with digital imagery compares themselves. The support, tutorials, information, extensions, brushes, capabilities, and universal acceptance makes it the best of the best and most widely used image editing application found anywhere. I don't care that I'm on a fireworks forum... that's the truth.

Fireworks is a must own for all web designers. Not only for the ease of use to make quick changes, but Fireworks is the best application to work side by side with Dreamweaver you can find. Better for slicing, better for animations, better for rollovers, better for changes, and just about the easiest program you could ever use. If you can't figure out Fireworks, don't even look at Photoshop. Fireworks UI is so dumbed down, even a cave man could use it LOL.

Imageready is suppose to be the equivelant of Fireworks. Yes, Adobe recoginized way back when that Photoshop needed a "prepare for the web" style editor. If that's not proof alone that PS is not enough on it's on, I don't know what is. Unfortunately for Adobe, Fireworks was a better product (and it didn't hurt that it worked seamlessly with the only web development software worth talking about... dreamweaver).

Buy both. Use both. Understand when and why it's an advantage to use one over the other for your project needs. In some cases, you'll use both even on one project. If you're not using both because of training... get some, buy a book, learn it. If you're not using both because of price... find a way to pay for it
              • 4. Advice for a new FW user
                BackinMac Level 1
                Wow guys I really appreciate your candid advice - thanks.

For what it's worth I'm a long time PS user and know it like the back of my hand. I guess I never used FW in the past because in the PS world it's generally accepted that FW is an inferior Macromedia copy of PS (I'm not saying this is so, I'm just saying that's what a lot of PS users think who have never used FW).

I'm for anything that will make my work more efficient and more effective. I kind of get lost when people mention using FW for rollovers, animations and menus. I understood that FW simply produces a prototype and that DW actually does all this?

However, from what you guys have said it sounds as though I would benefit from learning FW.

Thanks again
                • 5. Advice for a new FW user
                  BackinMac Level 1
                  sorry repeated this message.
                  • 6. Re: Advice for a new FW user
                    Level 7
                    BackinMac wrote:
                    > Wow guys I really appreciate your candid advice - thanks.
                    >
                    > For what it's worth I'm a long time PS user and know it like the back of my
                    > hand. I guess I never used FW in the past because in the PS world it's
                    > generally accepted that FW is an inferior Macromedia copy of PS (I'm not saying
                    > this is so, I'm just saying that's what a lot of PS users think who have never
                    > used FW).

Fireworks is not and has never been a competitor of Photoshop. It has a
                    few tools in common with Photoshop, as all graphics software does, but
                    is more like Illustrator.

> I'm for anything that will make my work for efficient and more effective. I
                    > kind of get lost when people mention using FW for rollovers, animations and
                    > menus. I understood that FW simply produces a prototype and that DW actually
                    > does all this?

Fireworks doesn't need Dreamweaver to produce any of those things.
                    However, unless you have experience in Web design and development, you
                    won't know how to use them correctly, or when to use them.

> However, from you guys have said it sounds as though I would benefit from
                    > learning FW.

Tip: you'll learn it much faster if you can put aside the way you do
                    things in Photoshop. Fireworks may have some of the same tools, but they
                    often operate differently than their counterparts in other graphics
                    software.

--
                    Linda Rathgeber [PVII] *Adobe Community Expert-Fireworks*
                    --------------------------------------------------------------
                    http://www.projectseven.com
                    Fireworks Newsgroup: news://forums.projectseven.com/fireworks/
                    CSS Newsgroup: news://forums.projectseven.com/css/
                    http://www.adobe.com/communities/experts/
                    --------------------------------------------------------------
                    • 7. Re: Advice for a new FW user
                      jsteinmann Level 1
                      By the way... nice name. What MAC do you have?
                      • 8. Re: Advice for a new FW user
                        BackinMac Level 1
                        At the moment I own a MacBook, but soon to order a MacBook Pro in a week.
                        • 9. Re: Advice for a new FW user
                          BackinMac Level 1
                          Newsgroup User ,

I forgot to mention, I don't use Dreamweaver because I hand code everything in Text Edit on my Mac (including css, xhtml, js, php) so maybe I miss the benefit of what Fireworks has to offer? That's why I am a little confused about what exactly FW does (rollovers, menus, etc) I didn't think I could do a prototype in FW and convert certain elements to dynamic objects?

I figured FW and PS produced exactly the same result when prototyping?