19 Replies Latest reply on Jul 7, 2014 5:50 PM by A.T. Romano

Premiere Elements 9 - "Sorry, a serious error has occurred that requires Adobe Premiere Elements..(2)

YvonH.kap

Hi,

I have the exact same problem as described here but the solution proposed here didn't work:

Premiere Elements 9 - "Sorry, a serious error has occurred that requires Adobe Premiere Elements....

I'm still getting the message "Sorry, a serious error has occured that requires Adobe Premiere Elements to shut down.  We will attempt to save your current project.".

I uninstalled, reboot, installed, reboot a few times and it still doesn't work.

Any suggestions?  I'm using Premiere Elements 9 and Windows 7, 64 bits.  It was working before.  It started after I had to reformat my harddrive and reinstall everything.

Thanks,

• 1. Re: Premiere Elements 9 - "Sorry, a serious error has occurred that requires Adobe Premiere Elements..(2)
          A.T. Romano Level 7

YvonH.kap

We have been getting a lot of threads on Premiere Elements 9.0/9.0.1 and issue such as you have been experiencing. Many have been solved my the deletion of the settings file (Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs file) as you have noted. (By the way, when you did that and deletion of the Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs deletion did not resolve the problem, did you then delete the whole folder in which the Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs file exists?

1. When you did the uninstall/reinstall, did you include a ccleaner run through between the uninstall and the reinstall? Good idea to do that to remove any leftovers from incomplete uninstall reinstalls.

CCleaner - PC Optimization and Cleaning - Free Download

That should be done to include the regular cleaner and registry cleaner parts of ccleaner.

2. Do you have the 9.0.1 Update installed.

Adobe - Premiere Elements : For Windows : Premiere Elements 9.0.1 update

Do you have the latest version of QuickTime installed on your computer

Apple - QuickTime - Download

3. Are you running your computer from a User Account with Administrative Privileges as well as Run As Administrator (from right click of program desktop icon and selection of Run As Administrator?

4. Is your video card/graphics card up to date according to the web site of the manufacturer of the card?

5. Does the problem exist with and without the antivirus program disabled?

6. Go to Computer/Manage/Services and Applications/Services and assure that FLEXnet Licensing Service is started.

7. The following is a version 12 remedy, let us see if this will work for 9.0/9.0.1

As described in the link below, rename the SLCache Folder and the SLStore Folder.

http://www.atr935.blogspot.com/2014/04/pe12-premiere-elements-12-editor-will.html

Lots of possibilities. Please let us know the outcome of your review of the suggested troubleshooting considerations.

Thank you.

ATR

Add On...Many thanks for starting your own new thread on your particular Premiere Elements 9.0/9.0.1 situation.

• 2. Re: Premiere Elements 9 - "Sorry, a serious error has occurred that requires Adobe Premiere Elements..(2)
            YvonH.kap Level 1

...By the way, when you did that and deletion of the Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs deletion did not resolve the problem, did you then delete the whole folder in which the Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs file exists?

[YH] Yes I did but it didn't work.

1. 1. When you did the uninstall/reinstall, did you include a ccleaner run through between the uninstall and the reinstall? Good idea to do that to remove any leftovers from incomplete uninstall reinstalls.

[YH] Done but didn't work. I just ran the CCleaner free version.  I'm not sure if it's enough.

1. 2. Do you have the 9.0.1 Update installed.

[YH] Done but didn't work.

Do you have the latest version of QuickTime installed on your computer

[YH] I didn't have QuickTime installed.  It is now but didn't do any difference.  I uninstalled Adobe Premiere Elements, ran CCleaner, reboot, installed APE, reboot... still doesn't work.

1. 3. Are you running your computer from a User Account with Administrative Privileges as well as Run As Administrator (from right click of program desktop icon and selection of Run As Administrator?

[YH] Yes

1. 4. Is your video card/graphics card up to date according to the web site of the manufacturer of the card?

[YH] I'm assuming yes because it was working before.

1. 5. Does the problem exist with and without the antivirus program disabled?

[YH] I haven't tried yet but see item number 6 below.

6. Go to Computer/Manage/Services and Applications/Services and assure that FLEXnet Licensing Service is started.

[YH] I don't see any FLEXnet.  I don't remember installing this on any computer.  I googled it but I'm not sure I understand what and from where to install it.  I checked at work on another computer running Adobe Premiere Elements and FLEXnet is running on that computer. So this might be the source of the problem.

1. 7. The following is a version 12 remedy, let us see if this will work for 9.0/9.0.1

As described in the link below, rename the SLCache Folder and the SLStore Folder.

http://www.atr935.blogspot.com/2014/04/pe12-premiere-elements-12-editor-will.html

[YH] Haven't tried it yet.

• 3. Re: Premiere Elements 9 - "Sorry, a serious error has occurred that requires Adobe Premiere Elements..(2)
              A.T. Romano Level 7

YvonH.kap

Some things to look into....

Make sure that you are running your computer with Folder Option Show Hidden Files, Folders, and Drive active so that you can see all the paths cited.

FLEXLicensing Service

http://www.adobe.com/support/contact/licensing.html

Please tell us if you find the following path in your Windows 7 64 bit computer...

Local Disk C

Program Files (x86)

Common Files

Macrovision Shared

FLEXnet Publisher

and in the FLEXnet Publisher folder should be the following files

• fnp_registrations.xml
              • FNPLicensing Service.exe

Please let us know if the above relates to your situation.

We will be watching for further results.

Thank you.

ATR

• 4. Re: Premiere Elements 9 - "Sorry, a serious error has occurred that requires Adobe Premiere Elements..(2)
                YvonH.kap Level 1

I can't find any Flexnet related files even with the "Show hidden files, folders and drives" set.

I tried to run the Flexnet fix tool from your link but it didn't work probably because there is no Flexnet installed.

Where can I get the proper Flexnet software?

Thanks,

• 5. Re: Premiere Elements 9 - "Sorry, a serious error has occurred that requires Adobe Premiere Elements..(2)
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

YonH.kap

It is my understanding that the FLEXnet Licensing Service would be provided for by Premiere Elements installation.

Here is one of the older threads that went to FLEXnet Licensing missing

https://forums.adobe.com/message/2447057

Be that as it may, this is what I would like you to do

1. Deactivate the program if you can get into the project's Help Menu/Deactivate (Skip this if not applicable)

2. Uninstall the program via the usual control panel route.

3. Do the ccleaner run through (regular cleaner and registry cleaner parts)

4. Reinstall the program with antivirus and firewall turned off.

When you get to reinstall I would like you to use the installation files for Premiere Elements 9 tryout from the following web site.

Photoshop Elements 9 & Premiere Elements 9 Direct Download Links | ProDesignTools

You must read and carry out carefully the "Note: Very Important Instructions" on web page in order to avoid an Access Denied message.

You can use the tryout as a tryout or insert your purchased serial number into it to make it your working copy.

Remember to install the 9.0.1 Update after the program install.

We will be watching for your progress in determining whether or not FLEXnet Licensing is at the core of your issue.

Thank you.

ATR

• 6. Re: Premiere Elements 9 - "Sorry, a serious error has occurred that requires Adobe Premiere Elements..(2)
                    YvonH.kap Level 1

Here is one of the older threads that went to FLEXnet Licensing missing

https://forums.adobe.com/message/2447057

[YH] I checked this but it's basically about Mac computers. I didn't find any useful information there.

1. Deactivate the program if you can get into the project's Help Menu/Deactivate (Skip this if not applicable)

[YH] I can'T access the "Deactivate" function.  It's grayed out in the menu.

2. Uninstall the program via the usual control panel route.

[YH] Done.  I also uninstalled Adobe Photoshop Elements just in case (I did deactivate this one before unintalling).

3. Do the ccleaner run through (regular cleaner and registry cleaner parts)

[YH] Done.   I also deleted any Adobe Premiere Elements and Adobe Photoshot Elements folders I could find.  Rebooted after.

4. Reinstall the program with antivirus and firewall turned off.

[YH] Done.  Rebooted after.

When you get to reinstall I would like you to use the installation files for Premiere Elements 9 tryout from the following web site.

Photoshop Elements 9 & Premiere Elements 9 Direct Download Links | ProDesignTools

You must read and carry out carefully the "Note: Very Important Instructions" on web page in order to avoid an Access Denied message.

You can use the tryout as a tryout or insert your purchased serial number into it to make it your working copy.

Remember to install the 9.0.1 Update after the program install.

[YH] Done.  Still doesn't work.  I'm still getting that gray window and the same error message when I try to create a new project or open a project and I can't see any FLEXnet related files anywhere.

Thanks for you patience and help but this is getting ridiculous.  Why is it so difficult to install and run a software.  I don't understand why this particular one is so difficult and not any of the other softwares I'm using.  And this one has been working for a few years and it's only when I reformatted my harddrive and reinstalled everything that I started to have this problem.

• 7. Re: Premiere Elements 9 - "Sorry, a serious error has occurred that requires Adobe Premiere Elements..(2)
                      A.T. Romano Level 7

YvonH.kap

Thanks for all the follow ups for the troubleshooting suggestions. There seems to be an epidemic of these Premiere Elements 9.0/9.0.1 major problems recently.

One of the other Premiere Elements 9 users in a situation like yours appears to be heading to Premiere Elements 12.

For troubleshooting purposes only at this time, would you consider downloading and installing the tryout of Premiere Elements 12 and determining if it will work on your computer. Several reasons...

a. Will the install of Premiere Elements 12 get you the FLEXnet Licensing Service in Services?

b. Will Premiere Elements 12 work on your computer whereas 9 will not?

As I suggested to another, this approach might have a win win outcome

a. Premiere Elements 12 works in your computer environment, pointing to a Premiere Elements 9 issue

b. Premiere Elements 12 does not work, pointing to a computer issue

And now we have the added incentive of determining if we can get the FLEXnet Licensing Service to appear in Services.

Please review and consider.

Thanks again.

ATR

Do not give up.

• 8. Re: Premiere Elements 9 - "Sorry, a serious error has occurred that requires Adobe Premiere Elements..(2)
                        YvonH.kap Level 1

I installed Premiere Elements 12 trial version and it seems to work.  But, so sign of any related FLEXnet files.

I uninstalled APE12, ran CCleaner, rebooted, installed APE9, rebooted.  Tried it and the problem is still there.

What I don't understand is that if was running fine before.  This only started after I had to reformat my harddrive and reinstalled everything.

• 9. Re: Premiere Elements 9 - "Sorry, a serious error has occurred that requires Adobe Premiere Elements..(2)
                          A.T. Romano Level 7

YvonH.kap

Very frustrating situation with Premiere Elements 9.0/9.0.1 these days.

Could you confirm your computer operating system including whether 32 or 64 bit?

Thanks.

ATR

• 11. Re: Premiere Elements 9 - "Sorry, a serious error has occurred that requires Adobe Premiere Elements..(2)
                            A.T. Romano Level 7

YvonH.kap

Thanks.

The absence of that FLEXnet Licensing even after the download and install of a working Premiere Elements 12 is very troublesome.

This is what you should be seeing under Computer/Manage/Services and Applications/Services

FLEX.JPG

I dislike the thought of even mentioning this, but it is worthwhile to go back and reset the computer to factory settings

and go this the whole process again of installing programs. - QuickTime, Premiere Elements 9.0/9.0.1?

Right now the answer facing us is your observation that your computer has no FLEXnet Licensing Service. But, then how is your

Premiere Elements 12 running without it, unless the tryout nature of 12 does not involve FLEXnet Licensing. Do you

have any other purchased version of Premiere Elements with serial number for Premiere Elements besides 9.0/9.0.1?

More later.

ATR

• 12. Re: Premiere Elements 9 - "Sorry, a serious error has occurred that requires Adobe Premiere Elements..(2)
                              YvonH.kap Level 1

I do see the FLEXnet as you're showing on another computer but not mine.

"....Do you have any other purchased version of Premiere Elements with serial number for Premiere Elements besides 9.0/9.0.1?.."

[YH] No.  I do have Photoshop Elements 9 running fine.  What I'll do is remove all Adobe softwares and Quicktime and reinstall them.  If this doesn't work, I might reformat everything if i have the time.  I'm really running out of time to fix this.

• 13. Re: Premiere Elements 9 - "Sorry, a serious error has occurred that requires Adobe Premiere Elements..(2)
                                A.T. Romano Level 7

YvonH.kap

Did we go through the scenario where you downloaded the tryout of Premiere Elements 9 from the web site which is in some way dealing with Adobe and then insert the purchased serial number during that installation? If the FLEXnet Licensing was going to show itself, it should have been then because then you would have been dealing with a purchased activated serial number and not working off a tryout situation as in 12 presently.

Please update me on your progress when you get the time. I am keep thinking about this and looking for answers.

Thanks.

ATR

• 14. Re: Premiere Elements 9 - "Sorry, a serious error has occurred that requires Adobe Premiere Elements..(2)
                                  YvonH.kap Level 1

1. I uninstalled all Adobe softwares and Quicktime.  I ran CCleaner to cleanup the left overs and the registry.

2. I rebooted.

3. Turned off the virus scan and the firewall

4. Reinstalled Adobe Premiere Elements 9 from Adobe's website. 

5. Ran Adobe Premiere Elements 9 and it seemed to work.

6. Closed it.  Installed Quicktime and Adobe Flash.

7. Reopened APE9.  A window appeared to register the software.  I entered my Adobe ID.

8. Then, the problem is back.  When trying to open project, I get Gray window and the error message.

To me, it looks like something is corrupted in Adobe's database on my account.  Does this make sense?

• 16. Re: Premiere Elements 9 - "Sorry, a serious error has occurred that requires Adobe Premiere Elements..(2)
                                    YvonH.kap Level 1

Hi,

I'm questioning why I'm getting great help and support from a user on this forum but there's nobody from Adobe helping with this issue?

• 17. Re: Premiere Elements 9 - "Sorry, a serious error has occurred that requires Adobe Premiere Elements..(2)
                                      A.T. Romano Level 7

YvonH.kap

Adobe does not support anything but current version (which is 12) which is purchased and registered. Current version or not, It should assist you if your serial number gets trapped on a crashed computer in order to allow you to install that purchased serial number on another of your working computer (in keeping with no more than 2 of your computers with the same purchased serial number).

When it comes to Adobe Staff Help in the forums, I would remind you that this is a user to user forum. At unexpected and unscheduled and infrequent times, an ID with an Adobe Staff tag will post in one of the threads here. It has been my observation (recollection) that these appearances are in threads relating to the current version, in keeping with help for current, purchased, registered.

You can contact Adobe via Adobe Chat, but I suspect you will get the same bottom line. I am not Adobe, so you could try to contact Adobe Chat from the following link and see how far you get.

Contact Customer Care

I have set the above link to the topic Downloading, Installing, and Setting Up. If the link does not hold the set, you will have to navigate to the following page and click the Chat option.

Chat.JPG

The page immediately before the above view is one which includes "Still have help? Contact us." which you click on to

get to the view seen in the screenshot.

But, with the tryout Premiere Elements 12 working for you, I am thinking that the Adobe answer will be to move to version 12/12.1.

But, again, I am not Adobe. But let us see what happens.

ATR

• 18. Re: Premiere Elements 9 - "Sorry, a serious error has occurred that requires Adobe Premiere Elements..(2)
                                        YvonH.kap Level 1

I haven't had a chance to contact Adobe Chat but I noticed something that fixes the problem but I don't know why.

If I remove Adobe Acrobat Reader XI, the problem goes away.  If I install it back, the problem comes back.

• 19. Re: Premiere Elements 9 - "Sorry, a serious error has occurred that requires Adobe Premiere Elements..(2)
                                          A.T. Romano Level 7

YvonH.kap

Thanks for the update. Your discovery of a conflict between Premiere Elements 9.0/9.0.1 and the Adobe Acrobat Reader XI is great. And great follow through with the after before after verification of the cause.

I went looking for Acrobat Reader XI and came cross the Adobe document on its known issues.

Known issues | Acrobat XI, Reader XI

I wonder if it is targeting the Premiere Elements activation process in some way? Maybe a stretch of the imagination?

Deployment/Installation

Problem: When you install or launch Acrobat the dialog No Internet Connection can appear. Select Offline Activation and follow the steps to generate a request code to complete offline activation.

Are you heavily involved in the use oF Acrobat XI, Reader XI? Can you roll back the version to one that works with Premiere Elements 9.0/9.0.1?

I will continue to look for online documentation of any conflicting relationships between Premiere Elements and Adobe Acrobat Reader XI.

Many thanks for your important and good news.

Best wishes

ATR