6 Replies Latest reply on Jun 24, 2014 8:41 AM by Creativexs

Indesign CS6 Snap to Measurements

Creativexs

Hallo all, Hope someone knows this - I've searched the forums and online but no luck so far.

We have to work on a range of financial documents which involve a lot of table style information which frequently require 'rejigging' to fit all the figures in. It is not suitable for converting to a table due to the alignment requirements - some figures shown as negative by being in brackets BUT positive and negative figures need to line up.

EG When there are 6 tabs right-aligned for the figures and a further six tabs left-aligned for the brackets, 1/2 mm further down the ruler than the previous tab. Setting them up is all easy but when they need changed it is a pain as the tab does not 'snap' to full or half mm points on the ruler. Is there a way to make the tabs snap to a defined interval (like we can with rulers)?

Or if you have any bright ideas about how to line up this kind of information easily and flexibly please share.  Thank you!

Very rough example:

1000   1200   1400 1600 (1800) 1900

1000   (1200)   1400 1600 (1800) 1900

1000   1200   (1400) 1600 (1800) 1900

• 1. Re: Indesign CS6 Snap to Measurements
          rob day Adobe Community Professional & MVP

EG When there are 6 tabs right-aligned for the figures and a further six tabs left-aligned for the brackets, 1/2 mm further down the ruler than the previous tab

Sorry if I'm misunderstanding, but if you are just trying to align on the numbers, why not use Align to Decimal with 6 tabs? Like this:

Screen Shot 2014-06-24 at 10.13.58 AM.png

• 2. Re: Indesign CS6 Snap to Measurements
            Creativexs Level 1

Hi there, Thanks for response. You're not misunderstanding but I have probably oversimplified too much!

6/6/13

to

31/5/14

6/6/13

to

31/5/14

6/6/13

to

31/5/14

6/6/13

to

31/5/14

6/6/13

to

31/5/14

Cautious5.9620.38(1.74)0.777121,123.00.
            Balanced   6.08   6.08   19.05(0.3939)14,000.00
            Adventurous5.615.7115.210.56788,190.60

We need everything except the brackets to be right aligned. Unless we set up 2 tabs (one for heading style and one for table) this won't work - In order to keep all aligned would prefer to have one set of tabs for both sets of information - can't use decimal tabs for that or information with several numbers after decimal point will overhang the headings. I've tried using hanging punctuation but it doesn't work for this either.

The quickest way I know is to have double tabs 0.5mm apart for text and bracket text but because the tabs don't 'snap' to measurements this is time consuming when adjustments are required.

• 3. Re: Indesign CS6 Snap to Measurements
              rob day Adobe Community Professional & MVP

can't use decimal tabs for that or information with several numbers after decimal point will overhang the headings

Don't use a period in the Align On field:

Screen Shot 2014-06-24 at 10.48.41 AM.png

• 4. Re: Indesign CS6 Snap to Measurements
                Creativexs Level 1

Hi there, thanks for that, I wasn't aware you could align to other characters - the bracket looks like it will work. Thank you!

However, my original query is still unanswered - is there any way to make tabs 'snap' to measurement points on the ruler. Not being able to drag tabs to an exact measurement is a bit of a pain for these kind of things. My OCD soul much prefers things aligned to 10, 20, 30 etc rather than 10.245,19.987 and 30.009.

• 5. Re: Indesign CS6 Snap to Measurements
                  TᴀW Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I don't think so, but after you've set your tab in the tabs palette,

just press the down-arrow key once to get the measurement to a round

unit (the focus is on the numbers fields in the tab palette, so hitting

the down key should take the measurement down to the nearest unit, as in

all ID fields).

• 6. Re: Indesign CS6 Snap to Measurements
                    Creativexs Level 1

Thanks everyone! Between aligning on bracket and the arrow trick this will help a lot. I wasn't aware of that shortcut for figures in indesign fields so good to know!