10 Replies Latest reply on Jun 25, 2014 2:32 PM by A.T. Romano

What presets to use for slideshows?

C_H_Adobe_PE2014

I'm trying to create a slideshow using still images with Premiere Element 12. What preset should I use?

I've already created one, the quality looks good on the screen, but once I burn it on a DVD, the pictures looks very low resolution. Do I need to start over by choosing the right Presets? Thanks in advance.

• 1. Re: What presets to use for slideshows?
          A.T. Romano Level 7

c_h_adobe_pe2014

What computer operating system is your Premiere Elements 12 running on? Are you in a PAL or NTSC setup. For the following, I have assumed NTSC details.

Principle applicable to both.

What are the pixel dimensions of the still images going into this slideshow? Is there going to be video in this slideshow as well as photos? If so what is the format of the video, 1080p or something else?

If your slideshow is solely photos and these photos are1920 x 1080 16:9, I would suggest that you use the Premiere Elements 12 project preset -

NTSC

DSLR

1080p

DSLR1080p30 @29.97

Then for export

Publish+Share

Disc

DVD, disc

with preset = NTSC_Widescreen_Dolby Digital.

With the project preset suggested, your DVD-VIDEO on DVD disc images should appear sharper than if you had done otherwise.

Please supply more details so that we can fine tune the information for you.

Any questions, need clarification, please do not hesitate to ask.

Thank you.

ATR

• 2. Re: What presets to use for slideshows?
            C_H_Adobe_PE2014 Level 1

Thank you so much for your prompt reply A.T. Romano!

I'm using Windows 8. NTSC.

It's a slideshow I'm making for a friend's wedding. So mainly some scanned childhood pictures, recent digital pictures at ok resolution, a few higher resolution of studio pictures.

I will also insert a few videos from Premiere Element's existing movie themes videos clips, just to make the slideshow more interesting.

The project looks totally fine, but once it's burned onto the DVD, the resolution looks horrible.

Do I have to start over by choosing the right presets? Or can I just make changes on the exciting project?

Thank you so much!!!

• 3. Re: What presets to use for slideshows?
              C_H_Adobe_PE2014 Level 1

In the meanwhile, I played around with different presets, including DSLR. The resolution is slightly better on the burned DVD, but still quite blurry. Most likely its not due to my source files. Because I also tested with their original themed movies from Premiere Elements 12. The resolution is equally bad.

I've created a different slideshow back in 2009 for another friend's wedding, using Premiere Elements 7, windows 7. I went back to the video and checked the preset setting. It seems I may have used the wrong preset as well. I used HDV 1080i back then. But the pictures and videos looked totally fine on burned DVD.

So with PE 12, I figured I will also try HDV (since it worked for me before), the outcome resolution was even worst on PE12 and Window 8, than DSLR or AVCHD.

I started to suspect it may be the burner's problem. So instead of burning it to a DVD, I exported file to the computer hard drive. The resolution is equally bad.

I'm so frustrated...  Please help...

• 4. Re: What presets to use for slideshows?
                A.T. Romano Level 7

C_H_Adobe_PE2014

1. Expectations versus Standard for the DVD-VIDEO widescreen on DVD disc format....

What is the player for your DVD-VIDEO widescreen on DVD disc and what is the size of the TV on which it is being viewed.

DVD-VIDEO widescreen on DVD disc is 720 x 480 16:9 with that 16:9 flag stretching the video to 856 x 480 for display after encoding.

This is not a 1920 x 1080 that would be expected of AVCHD on DVD disc or Blu-ray disc format on Blu-ray disc. Does your TV come advertized as coming with technology to enchance the playback of the DVD-VIDEO?

2. What is going into this Timeline....are the photos 1920 x 1080? what are these videos that you are including - are they 1080i or 1080p video? When you look at your finished DVD-VIDEO on DVD, what look bad - just photos, just videos, both photos and videos. In what way is the quality poor - blurry, flicker, other?

3. When you get to Publish+Share/Disc/DVD disc and are in the burn dialog (just before you get Burn there), what does the Quality area of the burn dialog show for Space Required and Bitrate? Do you have a check mark next to "Fit Contents to Available Space" or did you leave that option unchecked and just moved the slider in that area?

Please try to post the details to the above and then we will try to get the Premiere Elements end product that you seek.

Do you have a Blu-ray player for AVCHD on DVD disc playback and is that format an alternative to your DVD-VIDEO on DVD disc? The AVCHD on DVD will be 1920 x 1080 but requires a Blu-ray player that supports AVCHD on DVD disc playback.

Thank you.

ATR

• 5. Re: What presets to use for slideshows?
                  C_H_Adobe_PE2014 Level 1

Hi AT Romano,

To answer your questions.

1. I've currently playing it on a laptop monitor. I have not even tried it on bigger screen TV yet. The slideshow is intended to be played in a laptop and projected with a projector during the wedding reception.

2. The photos are  mostly scanned old pictures. The videos are small clips from Adobe Premiere Elements with some simple animations.

The pictures looks bad in terms bad resolutions-- blurry, not sharp. YES, both photos and Premiere Element's videos look bad. That why I concluded it's not my pictures issue.

3. I have tried both leaving and unchecking the check mark next to "fit contents to available space". Both cases provide bad quality.

I'm not trying to play in the Blu-ray DVD player. Just on my laptop.

As I mentioned in my previous post, I've done slideshows before using my old laptop. Windows 7, Premiere Elements 7. I'm trying to do the same thing this time with very similar picture qualities. I have used HDV by mistake before, but never had any poor resolution issue.

Thanks again for your time.

• 6. Re: What presets to use for slideshows?
                    A.T. Romano Level 7

C_H_Adobe_PE2014

Thanks for the reply. Based on your latest post (numbered 5), let us focus on your slideshow as a file exported from Premiere Elements and saved to the computer hard drive.

Set up your project preset

NTSC

DSLR

1080p

DSLR 1080p30 @ 29.97

Edit your slideshow accordingly.

Remember, although you can have a menu with burn to disc, you cannot for export to a file saved to the computer hard drive.

For your export of your Timeline

Publish+Share

Computer

AVCHD with Presets = MP4 - H.264 1920 x 1080p30.

You should be able to open that export with your computer's Windows Media Player and project it from there onto a screen if that is

the plan.

Please review and let us know if that works for you.

Thanks.

ATR

• 7. Re: What presets to use for slideshows?
                      C_H_Adobe_PE2014 Level 1

Hi A.T, Romano,

Yes. I have tried creating the slide using your recommendation:

NTSC

DSLR

1080p

DSLR 1080p30 @ 29.97

And "shared" as:

Publish+Share

Computer

AVCHD

I don't remember what preset I used when saving to the computer. The quality was very good with AVCHD played from the computer as a file.

However, when I try to burn that file to a DVD, it cannot be played from my laptop's DVD player.

Also, I have tried

Publish+Share

Disc

AVCHD

It cannot be played from the laptop's DVD player either.

The plan is to deliver the slideshow on a DVD to the bride.  so her DJ can simply play the DVD from their laptop or DVD player and project the slide show on the projector.

Thank you again for your guidance! Truly appreciate it!

• 8. Re: What presets to use for slideshows?
                        A.T. Romano Level 7

C_H_Adobe_PE2014

Thanks for the reply. Points of clarification...

I don't remember what preset I used when saving to the computer. The quality was very good with AVCHD played from the computer as a file.

However, when I try to burn that file to a DVD, it cannot be played from my laptop's DVD player.

Good news about the very good quality of the AVCHD export (assumed MP4 1920 x 1080p30) playback on one of your computer players. Why can you

not transfer that MP4 1920 x 1080p30 to a USB Flash Drive and present that to the DJ for playback of the file on their laptop and project the slideshow from there onto a screen?

If you are burning a MP4 1920 x 1080p30 Timeline to DVD-VIDEO on DVD disc, it is not clear why you write "....it cannot be played from my laptop's DVD player". After the burn to disc, does the disc contain an OpenDVD Folder and a VIDEO_TS Folder?

Please let me know how viable my MP4 on USB Flash Drive idea is going to be. More thoughts on this later.

Thanks for the follow ups.

ATR

• 9. Re: What presets to use for slideshows?
                          C_H_Adobe_PE2014 Level 1

Hi A.T. Romano,

I'm having my friend to check with the DJ if USB flash drive would work. Thanks for the suggestion.

When I tried to burn as AVCHD to a DVD using the laptop burner, the computer players can't read the DVD. It simply does not open the drive and states that its not supported. Therefore, I cannot see the OpenDVD Folder nor VIDEO_TS Folder. However, I did find a solution by choosing to open the drive with "VLC media player". The problem is VLC media player may not be as popular and its very possible that the DJ doesn't have it in his laptop.

Thanks for everything!

• 10. Re: What presets to use for slideshows?
                            A.T. Romano Level 7

C_H_PE2014

Thanks for the update.

Just a reminder...although you do not need a Blu-ray burner to do the burn to AVCHD format on DVD disc, a regular DVD player will not support that AVCHD on DVD disc.  And, what you have on the disc in the case of the AVCHD format on DVD disc has a different structure than if you had done a burn to DVD-VIDEO on DVD disc. The  DVD-VIDEO format structure has the Open DVD Folder and the VIDEO_TS Folder.

The AVCHD format structure on that DVD disc includes the BDMV Folder. For AVCHD DVD, the DJ is going to need a Blu-ray player that supports AVCHD on DVD or one of these super players that play back just about everything.

On the other hand, there are computer players that may or may not play back AVCHD on DVD disc. But if there are menus involved, these players may just playback the movie without menus. And the VLC player may not be the best for the AVCHD DVD playback. I have a blog post from last year that I need to update in several places. But you might want to check it out for the principles, especially the computer players and AVCHD on DVD disc.

ATR