3 Replies Latest reply on Jun 24, 2014 7:53 PM by Dave Bezesky

InDesign Problems when Printing to Xerox 700i Digital Color Press Running Fiery EFI

Dave Bezesky Level 1

Mac OS 10.9.3, up to date Adobe CC InDesign.

Every time I print to the Xerox using Fiery features, afterward I cannot save.  If I close the file and try to re-open it, I am told that another user is modifying the document.  If I restart, then go into my file folder and discard the idlk file that was not removed when I closed, I can once again save changes etc, until I print again.  Then no deal...

Today I installed Indesign CC (2014).  Every time I print an Indesign file using the Xerox with the Fiery features, the application prints, then crashes.  I was hoping the new version would be better.  For me it is WORSE!

I have written nine books with InDesign.  They are each 500+ page manuals.  I have tried to find help for a year and can't seem to find it.  I am close to telling my partners that we need to find a new solution.  I cannot take the extreme hit to my productivity that I have taken trying to work with this software package.  Seems a shame since I've been through several versions of InDesign over the last 12 years.  Changing will be extremely painful, but I may just need to bite the bullet.

• 1. Re: InDesign Problems when Printing to Xerox 700i Digital Color Press Running Fiery EFI
          Daniel Flavin Level 4

It's not a fix, but exporting to pdf and printing from Acrobat would be the alternative.

I just tested an alternative. If you have the Fiery Productivity tools or ability to create hot folders.

Create a Hot Folder, set job action and properties relevant to the requirements - Duplex/Simplex, Color/Gray, n-up, etc.

Export from ID straight to the folder.

• 2. Re: InDesign Problems when Printing to Xerox 700i Digital Color Press Running Fiery EFI
            Dave Bezesky Level 1

Yes, I have Fiery Hot Folders Console.  That is certainly an alternative that should work as I can then avoid having to choose Fiery Features from the print dialog box in order to choose the paper tray and other features I need.

I am about to try a clean install of OS 10.9.3, and I am not the least bit happy about it.  Adobe CC is my main set of go-to applications for my work, and those are the only applications that give me ANY problems with printing.  I have forked out real money on different versions since I started using Adobe in the late 1990's, and my troubles seem to increase with every new release.

• 3. Re: InDesign Problems when Printing to Xerox 700i Digital Color Press Running Fiery EFI
              Dave Bezesky Level 1

I just got done with a clean install of OS 10.9.3.  After restoring from Time Machine, I had to reinstall the printer driver before re-adding the Xerox.  Then I went and printed using the Fiery Features through the print dialog.  Everything works fine now in Adobe CC InDesign.  But in Adobe CC InDesign (2014), we are still crashing the application on a print to the Xerox 700i Digital Color Press.  However, I can print to a Xerox WorkCentre 5865 using printer features.  Thanks for your suggestion, I didn't want to go through the pain of a clean install, but it was sure worth a try!