5 Replies Latest reply on Jun 24, 2014 1:18 PM by resdesign

Edge project won't open. HTML file is empty. HELP!!

TripleRRR Level 1

I've been working on a project for nearly a month now and when I opened the .an file today it says it can't fine the associated html file even thought it's in the same folder. So I opened the html file in my text editor and it's BLANK. All the code is gone. Same for the edge.js and edgeActions.js files. I can try and piece together the html file from other test files I have, but the stage class (EDGE-205613315) is dynamically generated I assume. So I couldn't just come up with that.

Anybody have a way to get the .an file to rebuild the html and js?

Please??

• 1. Re: Edge project won't open. HTML file is empty. HELP!!
          resdesign Adobe Community Professional & MVP

If your action.js file is blank there is not much hope unless you have a backup. The action.js file contains all the code that was generated by what you created.

Now my questions are: what happened before you opened this file? Did you save it properly the last time you worked on it? When you create a file, the id is created as you can see it the image below and adding a different id wil not correct the problem.

compId.png

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Edge project won't open. HTML file is empty. HELP!!
            TripleRRR Level 1

My Mac was freezing up while I was in Photoshop today, so closed all my programs so I could restart. When I got to Edge, it asked if I wanted to save my file, and I did. I didn't do anything different. I've searched my machine to see if it saved it somewhere else, but I haven't found anything. I called Adobe and the tech just kept saying, that's not possible, but I'm looking at the files and they're empty.

And I don't have a backup unfortunately - I've just got an early draft of it from a few weeks ago, so I guess I get to rebuild half of it.

FML

• 3. Re: Edge project won't open. HTML file is empty. HELP!!

Can the file open? can you zip your folder and post a link so we can look at it?

• 4. Re: Edge project won't open. HTML file is empty. HELP!!
                TripleRRR Level 1

There's really nothing to look at. When I was talking to Adobe, I realized that the .an file is showing a file size of zero bytes, so as far as I can tell, the project erased itself when I was saving and restarting. When I open the html file in Edge, it looks like a brand new file - there aren't any elements, symbols, actions or anything. Blank canvas.

Before I left work yesterday, I altered the html file by adding a header and footer div above and below the <div id="stage"> code. The page was running fine in my browser with those divs intact, and the .an file appeared to be saving just fine. Can adding that code have corrupted it somehow? Seems really odd to me that it would totally wipe all the associated files. But if that's an issue, then I need to find another way to build my full page around the edge file.

Thanks for trying to help.

• 5. Re: Edge project won't open. HTML file is empty. HELP!!

No, unless you inadvertently deleted the compId. Adding code the the html file usually does not affect the composition itself.