7 Replies Latest reply on Jun 24, 2014 7:28 PM by Dov Isaacs

Renting A Software vs Buying

Artist1118

The new Adobe CC, sounds like Rent a software vs buying; it also sounds like I don't have a choice but to rent. Is this the correct?

• 1. Re: Renting A Software vs Buying
          SJRiegel Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Correct. If you want CC, you have to rent it. If you are content with CS6, you can still buy a perpetual license for that.

• 2. Re: Renting A Software vs Buying
            hans-g. Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Hello,

as an addition to SRiegel's hint, please have a look there:
            http://www.adobe.com/products/catalog/cs6._sl_id-contentfilter_sl_catalog_sl_software_sl_c reativesuite6.html

and pay attention to this margin note (I quote):
            CS6 or Creative Cloud?
            If you want all-new versions of your favorite creative software — including Photoshop CC and Illustrator CC — join Creative Cloud. If you prefer the previous version, CS6, you can purchase it here. For upgrade eligibility and purchasing options, see the Creative Suite 6 FAQ.

Hans-Günter

P.S.

There is another addition I found in the German website: "Für eine begrenzte Zeit können Sie aber auch noch die CS6-Version kaufen." What means something like "For a limited time you can still buy CS6.)

• 3. Re: Renting A Software vs Buying
              Artist1118 Level 1

I have CS6 it's great; I have been an Adobe fan since PageMaker. I prefer buying.  Thank you for your input.

• 5. Re: Renting A Software vs Buying
                TᴀW Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Unless you're heavily into ePubs, there's no compelling reason not to

stick to CS6, as far as I can tell.

I have both, but for day-to-day typesetting, I'm still using CS6. For

ePubs, I switch to ID2014.

Incidentally, CS6 was pretty good for ePubs too. But 2014 is better.

• 6. Re: Renting A Software vs Buying
                  hans-g. Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Hi,

in my case I let some of the elder versions work on my computer. In particular dreamweaver "veterans" to see what has changed or worked in former times. Some of them have nice templates, which are deleted in the newer versions.

Hans-Günter

• 7. Re: Renting A Software vs Buying
                    Dov Isaacs Adobe Employee

To be very clear about this, the only thing you bought in the past was a so-called perpetual license for the current version of the software. If the underlying operating system updates were application upward-incompatible with that current version (can you say MacOS?) or you bought new hardware that required special application modifications to make best use of that hardware (i.e., HiDPI a.k.a. so-called “Retina” screens, GPUs on video cards, or even nice, new, shiny digital cameras with nice, new, shiny incompatible RAW formats), you were not entitled to any “free” update to resolve such incompatibilities.

Under what you describe as “software rental,” you are actually buying a license on a monthly basis, possibly with a minimum term, but you are entitled to whatever updates in terms of new features, hardware and OS compatibility, etc.

Ultimately, you should assume that not only will the perpetual licenses for CS6 be no longer offered, but that such software, by virtue of changes in the computing environments will become effectively unusable. (For example, Adobe will still sell you perpetual licenses for PageMaker 7 although it will not run on any OS currently being sold by either Apple or Microsoft - and even Windows 7 is highly problematic for it!)

- Dov