5 Replies Latest reply on Jun 25, 2014 7:24 AM by greenchesspiece

Gaming/Workhorse GPU solutions for AE, Element 3D, and other GPU-accelerated processes?

greenchesspiece

Currently, my PC is custom built with Windows 7 Professional and is sporting a Phenom II x6 PSU, 16 GB DDR3 Ram, and a GeForce 470 GPU. I am using disc drives at about 7200rpm, as well. Primarily, I use this as a personal, gaming, AND work computer, but I now have a work and personal macbook pro, and now with Adobe CC and GPU acceleration I'm hoping to more finely tune it to being a rendering powerhouse. I also would love to retain my ability to play the latest and greatest games - running on Ultra isn't a necessity, but it'd be nice to have the capability to push my system for the same of graphics.

I own almost all of the Video CoPilot plugins, and Element 3D and Optical Flares utilize GPU acceleration. I also use Premiere Pro for a lot of editing, and I enjoy speedy renders, and I hope to one day add Cinema 4D or 3DS Max to my software. I want a GPU that can give me some amazingly fast renders while also allowing me to play games at a decent frame rate. My budget is probably around $1000 for a a complete overhaul, but I could see myself pushing that a bit higher if it's worth it.

I'm looking at the GeForce GTX 750 series cards (probably the 760 or 770) for graphics, but I'm torn between making the leap to a Quadro 4000. I don't think the 5000 is in my price range, and I'm sure the 4000 would be fine for my needs. My main question is basically... What sort of differences would I see in Element 3D and other After Effects features between these two cards? Consequently, what sort of differences can I expect to see while using programs like 3DS Max or Cinema 4D? Finally, how would Premiere seem to me?

I know that AE uses primarily multi-core processors, so I'm looking at the i7 quad-core 4950 for my processor. I was AMD, but after seeing it in action on many Adobe products through my Macbooks, I'm starting to think it might be worth the extra cash to get an Intel. Therefore, since 3D rendering isn't my main focus, I'd like something that can give me a pleasant experience using plugins that are GPU accelerated - mainly Red Giant and VCP plugins - while also allowing me to play some games.

If this turns out to be a choice between gaming and work, I suppose an alternative could be putting my old parts into a second case and having a gaming pc and then a work pc. That's fine with me.

Thanks for any input!

Katie

• 1. Re: Gaming/Workhorse GPU solutions for AE, Element 3D, and other GPU-accelerated processes?
          Szalam Adobe Community Professional & MVP

After Effects will experience no acceleration from a GPU. Read more here: GPU (CUDA, OpenGL) features in After Effects

Element 3D might be able to handle larger, more complicated models with a more powerful card, but I doubt the Quadro's difference would be worth a price difference.

C4D makes very little use of the GPU.

Spending more on a better processor and more RAM would do you better than a GPU. If you're building a computer for After Effects and Premiere, I highly recommend watching this presentation.

• 2. Re: Gaming/Workhorse GPU solutions for AE, Element 3D, and other GPU-accelerated processes?
            ECBowen Most Valuable Participant

The Geforce 760GTX 4GB  card or the 770GTX 4GB card would be what I would suggest. Those will perform far better than the Quadro K4000 for Adobe Premiere, AME, or Speedgrade. AE GPU acceleration is Ray Tracer which is different than what Premiere uses. It's also only used for certain processes which are often rarely used. Don't expect the GPU to help much in AE. Cinema 4D and Max use CPU for processing almost exclusively. Don't expect the GPU to have major effect on rendering unless you get a GPU acceleration plugin such as Octane. Max uses Direct X now for the API and drawing out so the Geforce card would be ideal for preview in Max.

Eric

ADK

• 3. Re: Gaming/Workhorse GPU solutions for AE, Element 3D, and other GPU-accelerated processes?
              greenchesspiece Level 1

Thanks for all the input. I began reading up on OpenGL and CUDA, and now have a much better understanding of what I'm looking for. I think the Quadro series isn't what I need, and since I'd like to game, I will definitely be looking into upgrading my GeForce. I also realized there are a lot of cool new features available to the 700 series vs my 400 series. Instead of the 760, I am considering the GTX 770 for the following reasons:

• Premiere lists it as a compatible card for CUDA GPU acceleration (I don't see 760 anywhere)
              • After Effects does NOT list either the 760 or 770 for compatible cards for CS6, but lists nothing for CC (I'll assume it won't matter much anyway)
              • Nvidia OpenGL 4.4 is supported on the 760 and 770

Primarily, I need the Premiere support. Also, the 770 has a lot of awesome features with Nvidia itself for gaming, but that's not related.

So Szalam I looked into your links and will be watching the presentation shortly. I think my biggest change of hardware will be in these areas:

• Upgrade my Phenom II 3.4GHz Six-Core 1090T to an Intel i7 4.0GHz Quad-Core 4790K
              • Upgrade my motherboard to a 4th-gen friendly one
              • Upgrade my primary hard drive from 7200rpm to solid state
              • Upgrade my ram from 4x4GB to 4x8GB, starting with 2x8GB at faster speeds than 1600
              • Upgrade my GTX 470 to a GTX 770 (1.25GB Ram to 4 GB ram, plus faster processors and lower temperatures on the model I want)

I guess my next question for you all is will a processor upgrade from a Phenom II to an Intel i7 see notable changes? Do Adobe products generally work better on Intel processors? The i7 is notably better by far than the Phenom, so I know it'll see better performance, but I've had issues with multicore rendering and crashes on my Windows and I suspect it may have something to do with my particular AMD processor, which may also be getting old and therefore unreliable (it's about 3 years old)

• 4. Re: Gaming/Workhorse GPU solutions for AE, Element 3D, and other GPU-accelerated processes?
                ECBowen Most Valuable Participant

Yes if you get the 4790 or 4790K then there is a significant performance difference over the Phenom chips. The rest of the upgrade hardware listed looks fine. The 770GTX or the 760GTX can be added to the Ray Tracer list in AE but it's rarely used anyway. The 760GTX works fine with Premiere CC and AME. You just need to add it to the supported list in AME or delete the Cuda file.

Eric

ADK

• 5. Re: Gaming/Workhorse GPU solutions for AE, Element 3D, and other GPU-accelerated processes?
                  greenchesspiece Level 1

Thanks! I'll probably get the 770 because I enjoy opting for the better option. Originally, the specs on my current system were the newly released items, and they performed wonderfully for almost 4 years. I think it's worth the investment. Thanks for all of your feedback.