4 Replies Latest reply on Jun 25, 2014 12:36 AM by Mike1314

Clip behaving badly

Mike1314

I am editing a movie using APE 9. I have got so far but now when the Timeline marker moves over a clip it plays a different clip on the screen. It even plays it where there is a gap between clips. I tried removing several clips from the Timeline and restoring them but the problem did not go away. It is always the same clip which displays this awkward feature so I removed that clip and then restored it but that had no effect. Has anyone got any suggestions for solving this problem?

• 1. Re: Clip behaving badly
          A.T. Romano Level 7

Mike

What computer operating system is your Premiere Elements 9 running on and are you working from the 9.0.1 Update?

If you go to a new project, does the problem exist?

What video card/graphics card does your computer use? Is the card's driver up to date according to the web site of the manufacturer

of the card?

Are you viewing the rendered or unrendered Timeline when you run into these playback problems?

And, the classical questions...

a. What project preset did you set in the new project dialog?

b. What are the properties of the source media?

c. Does the project preset description match the properties of your source media?

d. How far into the project do you get before you start having the problems described?

e. Just how big is this project and what do your computer resources look like? Optimized computer?

Let us start here and then decide what next.

Thank you.

ATR

• 2. Re: Clip behaving badly
            Mike1314 Level 1

Hello,

Many thanks for your reply and for your detailed questions. I hope I haven’t wasted a lot of your time but I think that the clip has stopped behaving badly. I couldn’t explain what I did but I tried various things hoping that eventually something might work and it seems to have done.  It should be possible to put the cursor over a gap in the space between two clips and delete the gap and close the space. However, this was , for a while, not possible as the button (Is that the correct name?) that comes up with the words ‘Delete and Close Gap’ could not be activated. However, after some fiddling around I got the button to work, the gap closed and the clip stopped playing where it should not have been playing – for the moment anyway. It was really weird because sometimes the clip would start playing while another clip was already playing and then stop after a while  with the original clip resuming.

Here are some answers to your questions:

What computer operating system is your Premiere Elements 9 running on and are you working from the 9.0.1 Update?

Windows 8 64 bit.

4th Gen Intel® Core i7 -4770 processor (8M Cache, up to 3.9 GHz)

My PE9 was installed yesterday from a CD a friend gave me. So I doubt that it is working from an Updated version.

If you go to a new project, does the problem exist?

When I got stuck with this problem I started another project and the problem had not yet arisen.

What video card/graphics card does your computer use? Is the card's driver up to date according to the web site of the manufacturer of the card?

NVIDIA

It was installed my somebody from a firm called Lap and PC Doctor just a few days ago so I assume it is the latest version.

Are you viewing the rendered or unrendered Timeline when you run into these playback problems?

Unrendered as far as I know.

And, the classical questions...

a. What project preset did you set in the new project dialog? (You’ve got me there. I’m totally new to APE so I’m afraid I don’t know what that’s all about.)

b. What are the properties of the source media? (Sorry but I don’t understand that question. I am using HD video from a Panasonic camcorder if that’s any help.)

c. Does the project preset description match the properties of your source media? (Sorry, don’t know.)

d. How far into the project do you get before you start having the problems described? (Well it’s rather long. The unedited video is two hours and I got as far as about 1 hour.)

e. Just how big is this project and what do your computer resources look like? Optimized computer? (As I  say, it’s about 2 hours long – is that too big?.)

Let us start here and then decide what next.

I’m afraid that I’m not overly technical and am brand new to Adobe Premiere Elements. I’m also not all that genned up about computers. I can handle Word, Excel, PowerPoint and could edit video with an old version of Pinnacle Studio on an older computer with Windows XP. But ask me technical questions about computers or software and I’m afraid that you will lose me in about 5 seconds.

Once again, thanks for your trouble. If the problem only appears to have gone away I’ll get back to you.

Mike Ryan

• 3. Re: Clip behaving badly
              A.T. Romano Level 7

Mike Ryan

Glad for the wonderful news that the problem resolved.

Just a few quick notes...

a. About Delete and Close Gap....that may not work if there is content in tracks above or below where you want to Delete and Close Gap.

There are also other special occasions where this gap closing can be a problem. Please review my blog post on that.

http://www.atr935.blogspot.com/2014/02/pe-delete-and-close-gap-failures.html

b. You should really download, install, and be working from the 9.0.1 Update of the program. You can do that in a opened project via Help

Menu/Update. Or, you can do it with the program closed via the online download from Adobe

Adobe - Premiere Elements : For Windows : Premiere Elements 9.0.1 update

Please do not hesitate to ask questions and ask for clarification.

Thanks for the follow up.

Best wishes

ATR

• 4. Re: Clip behaving badly
                Mike1314 Level 1

Many thanks for all your help.