2 Replies Latest reply on Jun 27, 2014 12:44 AM by Car888

Premiere Elements 10 crashes when 'Edit' tab clicked, [..\..\Src\Clip\MasterClipUtils.cpp-38]

Car888 Level 1

Hi,

I recently started using Premiere Elements 10 to work on a project. Everything worked fine, until today when I tried to edit one of the clips in the timeline. Every time I click on the Edit tab, the thumbnails for each effect fail to appear (instead showing generic light blue thumbnails), and Premiere crashes.

Sometimes, but not always, an error message appears saying "Premiere Elements has encountered an error. [..\..\Src\Clip\MasterClipUtils.cpp-38]" but I have no idea what that means. When I click Continue, an error appears saying "Sorry, a serious error has occurred that requires Adobe Premiere Elements to shut down. We will attempt to save your current project."

I have tried everything, including restarting my computer, deleting my preferences, deleting the catalog, holding Shift when premiere starts, creating a new project... It does not seem to be a corrupted project or media file causing the problems, because the error persists even when I create a new project. Please help!

(I am using Windows 7 64bit, 4GB ram, dual-core)

• 1. Re: Premiere Elements 10 crashes when 'Edit' tab clicked, [..\..\Src\Clip\MasterClipUtils.cpp-38]
          A.T. Romano Level 7

Carboy888

The first matter we need to rule in or out...

What video card/graphics card does your computer use? NVIDIA GeForce? If so, you may be one of the Premiere Elements 10 users who have fallen into the Premiere Elements 10 NVIDIA GeForce issue which requires drive roll back in order to get Premiere Elements 10 to work. There is an announcement at the top of this forum that explains the issue and give a fix with how to details. For your convenience a copy/paste of that announcement is

__________________________________________________________________________________________ __________

Premiere Elements 10 NVIDIA Video Card Driver Roll Back

If you are a Premiere Elements 10 user whose Windows computer uses a NVIDIA GeForce video card and you are experiencing Premiere

Elements 10 display and/or unexplained program behavior, then your first line of troubleshooting needs to be rolling back the video card

driver version instead of assuring that it is up to date.

Since October 2013 to the present, there have been a growing number of reports about display and unexplained workflow glitches

specific to the Premiere Elements 10 user whose Windows computer has a NVIDIA GeForce video card. If this applies to you, then

the “user to user” remedy is to roll back the NVIDIA GeForce video card driver as far as is necessary to get rid of the problems. The

typical driver roll back has gone back as far as March – July 2013 in order to get a working Premiere Elements 10. Neither NVIDIA

nor Adobe has taken any corrective action in this regard to date, and none is expected moving forward.

Since October 2013, the following thread has tried to keep up with the Premiere Elements 10 NVIDIA reports

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1317675

Older NVIDIA GeForce drivers can be found

http://www.nvidia.com/Download/Find.aspx?lang=en-us

A February 2014 overview of the situation as well as how to use the older NVIDIA GeForce drivers for the driver roll back can

be found

http://atr935.blogspot.com/2014/02/pe10-nvidia-video-card-roll-back.html

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ______________

Please clarify what you wrote

"Every time I click on the Edit tab, the thumbnails for each effect fail to appear (instead showing generic light blue thumbnails),

and Premiere crashes."

Are you referring to the thumbnails under Edit Header/Effects/Video Effects?

Please review the above and then we will decide what next.

Thank you.

ATR

• 2. Re: Premiere Elements 10 crashes when 'Edit' tab clicked, [..\..\Src\Clip\MasterClipUtils.cpp-38]
            Car888 Level 1

Hi A.T. Romano,

Thanks for your quick response, I believe I have an Intel graphics card in my computer.

As for the thumbnails, I was referring to the ones under Edit/Effects/Video Effects. However, after restarting my computer several times, some of the effect thumbnails are displayed properly once I click on 'Edit', but the error message is displayed immediately afterwards and Premiere crashes.

Once again, thanks for your help, hopefully we will get this resolved soon.