Have you got all the current patches for RH10? If so & it’s still happening, you may have to try adding the site to your Trusted Sites list for IE 11 to “work nice”
Hi, thanks for your reply.
Not sure if I have all the current patches for RH10 although having checked my RH app, it says it has updated with all the latest updates.
Our IT department has disabled the ability to add sites to our Trusted Sites list as part of our corporate build so am unable to test that out.
Hi, thanks for the link. I have installed all the patches for RoboHelp and recompiled the help.
It seemed to be OK when I opened it locally however, when I embedded it in a local build of our product and ran it in IE 11, the issue was still there plus some topics appeared to be missing. This was not the case when it was run in other browsers.
So, I deleted all my temporary internet files to see if that made a difference - and it did. It would seem that IE 11 was continuing to reference an older version of the help and ignoring the latest one - I have no idea why. I don't know if this will happen when our users use the help however as I'm not a technical person.