7 Replies Latest reply on Jun 26, 2014 1:17 PM by BernardDigital

How do you link to or use the Adobe CDN after you publish your project?

BernardDigital Level 2

So maybe I am stupid but I really can't find any useful info on how this CDN publishing actually works...

This is from the edge animate API adobe white papers (also right below it in the section about HTML pages I think they are missing the word header in the first sentence... kinda funny - Adobe Edge Animate CC JavaScript API)

CDN Hosting

Using the Adobe Content Distribution Network (CDN) is a great way to speed up Animate composition delivery. Compositions using the Adobe CDN all share a single URL for jQuery and the Edge Runtime. The browser caches the runtime, so the user only downloads the library once no matter how may Animate compositions they view, even if compositions are on different sites and produced by different authors. Don't use the CDN if your composition needs to run without an Internet connection or if you want to use your own hosting exclusively.

The Animate Runtime CDN uses the following URL:

<script type="text/javascript" charset="utf-8"    src="http://animate.adobe.com/runtime/4.0.0/edge.4.0.0.min.js"></script>

I mean this all sounds great! So how do I use it? I don't see an obvious place in this URL to replace with what would be the link to my project? I also did not get any unique identification numbers that I could put into a URL to pull the correct content. Shouldn't I be having some unique identifier? How dose it know which project is mine? Maybe I just really don't understand how this works...

My goal is to have this nice little animation I made in edge play when someone visits the website and then fade into the homepage. Is this possible? It would be great if I could just put some script links in the header and let the adobe CDN take care of all the delivery aspects and keep my server load down rather than uploading the files myself and having to use extra bandwidth.

Thanks so much!

• 1. Re: How do you link to or use the Adobe CDN after you publish your project?
          SujaiS Adobe Employee

Hi BernardDigital, You can re-open your composition and choose the "Host runtime files on Adobe CDN" in your publish setting and re-publish. This will ensure that the adobe CDN files are used.

Is there any reason you want to do this manually outside Edge Animate rather than re-publish?

-Sujai

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: How do you link to or use the Adobe CDN after you publish your project?
            jbowden Adobe Employee

Hey there,

The Adobe CDN only hosts the required Animate runtime and jQuery Javascript files (mentioned below), which means you don't have to include them in your HTML directory on your server. You still have to host the HTML and other .js files that Animate creates on your server. Those are unique to your project.

When you publish to web, by default you will be linking Adobe's CDN which hosts two files only:

edge.4.0.0.min.js

jquery-2.0.3.min.js

These files are not unique to your project - every Animate composition uses these files and each contains the exact same data: they help make Animate HTML files "do what they do" with motion and interactivity.

If for some reason you'd rather not link to the runtimes files on Adobe's CDN, you can uncheck "Host runtime files on Adobe CDN" and publish to web again. An "edge_includes" folder will be created in the root of your web publish folder containing the above two files.

hth,

Joe

• 3. Re: How do you link to or use the Adobe CDN after you publish your project?
              BernardDigital Level 2

Thanks Joe that answers my question on how to use Edge Animate with the Adobe CDN...

How cool would it be if adobe CDN hosted all your files and then all you had to do was put a small script in the head of a document to run it... I will post in new features... Thanks again!

@sujai - I know how to check a button... No why would I manually want to add files... You missed the point of the question and Joe has perfectly answered it...

• 4. Re: How do you link to or use the Adobe CDN after you publish your project?
                heathrowe Most Valuable Participant

It would be great if I could just put some script links in the header....

To be fair, you did inquire about inserting it externally.

Darrell

• 5. Re: How do you link to or use the Adobe CDN after you publish your project?
                  BernardDigital Level 2

Huh? What are you talking about?

Yes where do I get my unique script files to link to adobe CDN... But Adobe CDN dose not work that way... It just host common files... So when you check that box it automatically writes that script in your files that you need to host on your server... That last part was not clear to me that it was only certain files... Why not all the files right?

But no instead of adding the conversation about how that feature might be cool or if you would want it too... You have some troll remark with a smug smiley face about well originally "

To be fair, you did inquire about inserting it externally.

" In what way? You took that part out of context... The rest says "and let the adobe CDN take care of all the delivery aspects and keep my server load down rather than uploading the files myself and having to use extra bandwidth."

This obviously refers to me putting a link in the head of my website that links to the adobe CDN for my entire animation and not uploading any files to my server... Get a life heathrowe and stop trolling the forums...

However if you want to grow up and would like this feature too please give it a thumbs up when I post in the feature request... I think this would be great added functionality... It would give animators the ability to build complex animations and then just give a link to the site owner to have the animation play on the site... Animators could potentially then rent or lease animations to site owners and if site owners don't pay we could just change the link bring control back to us... I think this could be huge... But maybe I am wrong...

• 6. Re: How do you link to or use the Adobe CDN after you publish your project?
                    heathrowe Most Valuable Participant

Your previous thread, you stated to sujai that he 'missed the point'.

Reading your original thread, and upon citing the suggestion in context - I too easily mis-interpreted what you were asking.

I will grow up and move along.

Cheers

Darrell

• 7. Re: How do you link to or use the Adobe CDN after you publish your project?
                      BernardDigital Level 2

Ohhhh... I see... Well I did not mean to offend anyone but I can see how that would have come across that way... I will try to write more clear to the point questions next time too... Thanks