3 Replies Latest reply on Jun 26, 2014 9:01 AM by Szalam

Puppet Tool RT Preview Issue

Ian_Sutton Level 1

Since CC 2014, I'm having odd issues with the puppet tool. It works as expected until I get to RAM preview it. The preview happens, but playback only happens at around 37fps (is a 60fps comp) and the distort effect does nothing, YET if I scrub the timeline it is smooth and the warp happens. It smacks of a render issue in the Mercury engine, but I just wondered if anyone else had seen this before? In CC, things were fine (though I would have to admit that I can only recall using the puppet tool in a 30fps comp there, not 60) and now it seems broken.

Thanks in advance,

Ian

• 1. Re: Puppet Tool RT Preview Issue
          Szalam Adobe Community Professional & MVP

After Effects does not use the Mercury Playback Engine. That is a set of technologies that Premiere uses to playback a video stream.

The Mercury Transmit in AE is a technology for sending video to an external monitor, but I would not expect that to interfere with how AE renders anything.

You say you can scrub the timeline and it's smooth. What if you step through frame-by-frame?  If that works, note that it will have cached the frames into RAM. Try invoking a RAM preview again and see if the problem persists.

What happens if you render your comp?

• 2. Re: Puppet Tool RT Preview Issue
            Ian_Sutton Level 1

Ah...so not Mercury then. I emptied the cache and rebuilt the preview and I still had the same issue. Rendering the comp DID work, but is a bit of pain just for iterative work. I fixed it (oddly) by creating a new comp and rebuilding it from scratch and the problem seemed to disappear. It happened again though on a different comp, and once again rebuilding it solved the issue. I have no idea what's happening here...will just have to keep an eye on it and see if I spot any trends/consistencies...

Thanks a lot for your insight.

• 3. Re: Puppet Tool RT Preview Issue
              Szalam Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Elusive bugs are the worst! Keep an eye on it and keep us updated if you figure anything out.