• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

which driver best for DB connection Native driver vs jdbc drivers

Participant ,
Jun 26, 2014 Jun 26, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In ColdFusion we can create DSN in 2 ways. Either we can select the driver for the specific database or we can use the Other as the driver and we can create the DSN by specifying the connection string. Which is the best way in terms of the performance for apps. Any idea.

Here I am looking to create the DSN to SQL Server 2012 and I have create 2 DSN's, one with SQL Server  driver and one with other and mentioned the connection string.  I don't see any difference as of now. Please advise which one to user.

TOPICS
Database access

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Guide ,
Jun 26, 2014 Jun 26, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Srinivas,

The only time I use the "other" driver and a JDBC connection string is when I need to use a feature of the database system that isn't directly supported in the provided driver.  As an example, Microsoft SQL Server's "Always On" feature and spatial/hierarchical data types aren't supported in the provided DataDirect drivers that ship with ColdFusion, but they can be used if you use Microsoft's JDBC driver.

As to performance, I haven't done testing personally.  I think as long as you are using a JDBC driver, the performance differences should be negligible.  Just avoid ODBC connections when possible, as these are generally slower than JDBC.

-Carl V.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Resources
Documentation