• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

image flickering from adjustment layer

New Here ,
Jun 26, 2014 Jun 26, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK so using premiere CC 2014  i get an awful flicker on video that I have applied adjustment layers to,  if i remove the layer it plays cleanly but with the layer it flickers.  whats the fix?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
replies 161 Replies 161
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh and in the adjustment layer i have only applied 3 way color corrector and some brightness and contrast  nothing auto

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try sending the sequence over to SpeedGrade and using that for the correction work, instead of the built-in effects.

Same issue?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That is not an answer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jun 27, 2014 Jun 27, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

True.  It was meant as an alternate method of getting the job done, one that may well work just fine.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 28, 2014 Jun 28, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What if one put the effects straight on the clip...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 17, 2014 Oct 17, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey all ..

Putting the effects directly on the clips will fix the issue. It is definately the adjustment layer that has an issue. I at first thought it had to do with my GPU acceleration, but tests showed it didn't matter whether it was software only og GPU. When I single frame jump with arrow-keys through my adjustement layered footage, the initial render in the viewport shows the horizontal areas with no adjustment layer applied (like random chunks or blocks with no adjustment layer). After 1 second or so the viewport updates again with the complete frame calculated with adjustment layer over the whole area. - But as you've also experienced, final export suffers from the vertical "missing" areas of calculation of the adjustment layer.

Torsten

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What happens if you stack the effects in a different order or

Turn off GPU hardware (if any)?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@@Ann Bens  Yeah no gpu hardwear on. I have seemed to have solved it under right click(PC) frame options and selecting non flicker or what eve it may say.   It didn't matter the order of layers above the vid file. it was just flickering as if I was shooting a lightbulb at 60 frames a sec.  But this was all outdoor footage.  The original footage looked great jut need a slight color and brightness adjustents and it had no flicker.  The flicker held on export too. I was figure ing initially it was some buffer thing and that it wouldn't translate to export but it was there thank god it wasn't deadline soooo.  Anyonecelsecwanna weigh in that be  great.  Oh and it was shot in 1080p not I so not an interlacing problem. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try this!!

I found that when activating a mask (just a big square covering the complete frame) on the opacity parameter on the adjustment layer, it would eliminate the flickering. - And even after removing the mask the flickering was gone. 🙂

Seems like the new feature with masks on everything is a bit buggy on adjustment layers.

Torsten

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was having a similar issue with flickering. I do believe it is a problem with Adjustment layers in the 2014 versions of PP.

In addition to the masking method you have suggested, another way of resolving it is not to use adjustments layers at all and utilize the new Master Clip Effect feature released in PP 8.0. Depending on your workflow this may or may not be beneficial.

I replied to a posting Video flicker with Nvidia video card, even after rolling back drivers (Premiere Pro CC 2014) discussing my flickering issues and how I removed all adjustment layers, etc and just used Master Clip Effects instead.

If you are unfamiliar with Master Clip Effects here is a video tutorial.

In any case I suggest filing a bug report regarding adjustment layers in the 2014 releases of PP.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 14, 2014 Nov 14, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just want to bump this to the top. I'm having the same issue. The workarounds above work, but intermittently. Another another change to the adjustment layer will bring back the flickering. I would love to see a fix for this in the next update.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 19, 2014 Nov 19, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm running into the same problem. Removing adjustment layers fixes it. Warp stabilization still seems hopeless though. For other adjustments there seems to be a 2 adjustment max before the flicker happens. Adobe, you seriously need to fix this immediately.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 23, 2014 Nov 23, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Having the same problem with current version (2014.1).  I have an adjustment layer with 1 effect, an unsharp mask, and the video flickers really badly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 17, 2015 Jan 17, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

HELLO ADOBE! Are you there?

The exact same problem is still going on with the newest mac and adobe equipment 2015!!

so please tell us if there is a funny way to solve that. also the little trick with the mask in the transparency layer does unfortunately not work .

¡..STRONG FLICKER (soon giving me epileptic attacks while trying to solve the issue) after adjustment layers +effect and render...!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jan 21, 2015 Jan 21, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Margarue,

margarue wrote:

HELLO ADOBE! Are you there?

The exact same problem is still going on with the newest mac and adobe equipment 2015!!

Thanks, can we get more info? FAQ: What information should I provide when asking a question on this forum?

Regards,

Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Ho!

I said: all the newst stuff from adobe and mac... that should be enaugh for now (mac book pro, retina...)... buuut anyway: i found out a resolution -for me at least!

In project settings i changed the setting saying something about the  GPU (the first button) and it does all work now!!! juhu! i guess it should have worked also before ...but i am happy anyway.

hopefully it helps someone else. and also would be interessting....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 03, 2015 Feb 03, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Changing the option to Mercury Playback Engine from Software Only seems to fix the issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 30, 2015 Dec 30, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

lol.   The problems represent in this forum appear to still be occurring on the most current version as of 12/30/2015.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I updated my software last night and can confirm this problem is still happening. For me, it's not just on an adjustment layer. The problem still occurs on clips themselves too. If I use a mask from any tool, it will flicker, like toggle the effect on and off at random and seemingly arbitrary moments. With subtle adjustments, the flicker is less noticeable, but if you try to mask out and darken the background of an image, for example, it sticks out like a sore thumb and looks awful. The only work around I've found is by adding a keyframe to the mask at every moment that it flickers, and then rendering the project out in sections. This process works but takes way way too much time, and often one or two random flickers will STILL pop up wherever they want to upon export. Need a fix!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Exgentleman,

Can we get more info? FAQ: What information should I provide when asking a question on this forum?

Thanks,

Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, for example, in my case, I have an interview subject flanked by a grand piano which is reflecting a harsh light. If I use any tool to mask out the piano and bring down its brightness, I will get a random flicker (quick frame flashes) on that mask, like the effect is toggling on and off. It will be random until I render it, and then it seems fine, but then exporting also seems to be involved in adding some random flash framing. Same problem on an adjustment layer as well as on the clip itself. Where the effect is in the stack doesn't seem to matter. As I said in my previous post, my workaround has been to add a keyframe on the mask at every frame that the mask flashes off, but this doesn't work 100% of the time. Either way, way too time consuming. Very frustrating. I've spent a two days trying to export two projects that should have taken an hour.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi ExG,

Check out the FAQ. I need more info on your system, OS, media, drives, and any info I can use to replicate the issue.

Thanks,

Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, I was so quick to type my response that I didn't click the link before.

I have the most recent version of Premiere Pro.

Stock 21" imac

1.4 GHz i5

8GB 1600 MHz DDR3

Intel HD Graphics 5000 536 MB

OS X 10.9.5

Exporting H.264 format YouTube 720p HD preset

Nothing third party installed

Premiere and Chrome are about the only things running

Source footage 1920x1080, 23.976, Progressive

Exporting 1280x720, 23.976, Progressive, H.264 mp4

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi ExG,

Exgentleman wrote:

Sorry, I was so quick to type my response that I didn't click the link before.

I have the most recent version of Premiere Pro.

Stock 21" imac

1.4 GHz i5

8GB 1600 MHz DDR3

Intel HD Graphics 5000 536 MB

OS X 10.9.5

Exporting H.264 format YouTube 720p HD preset

Nothing third party installed

Premiere and Chrome are about the only things running

Source footage 1920x1080, 23.976, Progressive

Exporting 1280x720, 23.976, Progressive, H.264 mp4

Thanks for the system info.

I just did a test and tried to replicate the issue, but could not. I placed an adjustment layer above a clip. I applied a Fast Color Corrector to the adjustment layer. I used the bezier mask tools to draw around and object. In playback and in my exports I could see nothing unusual.

The system I am testing on is

Mac Book Pro (2013)

2.7 GHz i7

16 GB RAM

NVIDIA 650M (1 GB VRAM) & Intel HD Graphics 4000 (Energy Saver Automatic Graphics Switching disabled to enable the NVIDIA GPU at all times)

OS X 10.8.5

Source 1920 x 1080 H.264

Export H.264 using 720p and 1080p YouTube presets

Can other people on this thread give us details about your system, OS, and media?

Thanks,

Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines