13 Replies Latest reply on Jun 27, 2014 6:41 PM by A.T. Romano

Elements 10 crashes computer while preparing to burn DVD or to file

Mike Meehan

I am trying to make a DVD of a movie approx 55 min long.  The computer shuts down when the process is 25-50% complete.  I made a 6 min movie for UTube last week with no problem.

• 1. Re: Elements 10 crashes computer while preparing to burn DVD or to file
          A.T. Romano Level 7

mike meehan

What computer operating system is your Premiere Elements 10 running on? And, let us get this question out of the way at the onset, "What video card/graphics card does your computer use?" NVIDIA Ge Force or other. See Announcement at top of this forum.

What do your computer resources look like?

What is your project preset and what are the properties of your 55 min source media?

If you opt for burn to DVD folder instead of DVD disc, does the burn to go to completion so that the saved folder contains an OpenDVD and VIDEO_TS Folder?

Of the burn to disc DVD process, at what stage does your computer shut down...

Encoding Menu 1 of 2 or 2 or 2

Encoding Media

Compiling Media

Burn

And, when you are in the burn dialog (just before you hit the Burn button), what do you see in the Quality Area for Space Required and Bitrate (with check mark next to "Fit Content to Available Space"?

Let us start here and then decide what next based on your reply.

Thank you.

ATR

• 2. Re: Elements 10 crashes computer while preparing to burn DVD or to file
            Mike Meehan Level 1

AT

Thank you for your prompt response!

Here is the info you requested:

I am using a Toshiba A-660 laptop with an i5-460M processor, 4 GB RAM, 500

GB HD, (122 GB free space), Windows 7 Professional with Service pack 1 (I

checked for updates but none found).

I don't see any Nvidia card listed in the purchase specs or in the Device

Manager

The burn process completes the Menu's 1, 2, 3 and (I think) crashes during

the Encoding Media step.

I tried Burn to file option with the same result.

The source files are from my HD camcorder.  I am attempting to make a DVD

to test my menu options before burning the Bluray disks.

There is a checkmark in "fit contents to available space" box

Space required is 3.8GB

I have used this hardware/software successfully in the past, however, I

haven't made a 1hr DVD in probably 2 yrs.

On Thu, Jun 26, 2014 at 11:41 AM, A.T. Romano <forums_noreply@adobe.com>

• 3. Re: Elements 10 crashes computer while preparing to burn DVD or to file
              A.T. Romano Level 7

mike meehan

Thanks for the reply.

When you mentioned burn to disc and now burn to folder, I thought that I had better not take any for granted and ask

"What are you doing - burn to DVD-VIDEO widescreen on DVD disc or burn to AVCHD format on DVD disc?" And, "Is your

Windows 7 Professional SP1 32 or 64 bit?" I am assuming 64 bit.

Please go back into your Timeline workspace and expand the Timeline with the -+ slider above the Timeline. Look for leftover

clips and/or fragments scattered about the tracks. Typically these leftovers present as very thin black vertical lines. Looks

for gaps in the Timeline content, look at the placement of video and audio transitions.

Depending on the results, you might want to make two copies of your project and use the copies to test the selective

removal of content and the effect of that on the burn to issue.

Check the Scratch Disks (Edit Menu/Preferences/Scratch Disks to determine where the Scratch Disks are directed and

how much free space is at that location.

More later.

Thanks.

ATR

• 4. Re: Elements 10 crashes computer while preparing to burn DVD or to file
                John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

>computer shuts down...Toshiba A-660 laptop... Burn to file option with the same result

Do you have a utility program to monitor your temperatures?

What you describe MAY be the computer shutting down when the CPU is over heating under load

Below is not specifically about Premiere Elements, but the idea of over heating is not really specific to one program

BSOD shutdowns http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1427408?tstart=0

http://blogs.adobe.com/kevinmonahan/2014/01/13/computer-shuts-down-with-premiere-pro-or-af ter-effects/

• 5. Re: Elements 10 crashes computer while preparing to burn DVD or to file
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

mike meehan

You do not have a GPU intensive application in Premiere Elements. You are not dealing with Premiere Pro and CUDA.

Some Premiere Elements troubleshooting supplement to what I wrote previously

Depending on the results, you might want to make two copies of your project and use the copies to test the selective

removal of content and the effect of that on the burn to issue.

I re-enforce this approach at this point and encourage you to look within the Timeline content for the core of your issue until

proven otherwise.

ATR

• 6. Re: Elements 10 crashes computer while preparing to burn DVD or to file

>do not have a GPU intensive application

I did not say GPU and I did not mention CUDA... I said CPU and "possible" over heating while encoding, with EXAMPLE links

Encoding in BOTH Premiere Elements and Premiere Pro is CPU intensive, and has been known to cause over heating problems

A good hardware monitor program will prove or disprove the idea of over heating... I use HWMonitor CPUID - System & hardware benchmark, monitoring, reporting (be careful which link you click, so you don't get one of the "advertising supported" links

• 7. Re: Elements 10 crashes computer while preparing to burn DVD or to file
                      A.T. Romano Level 7

John T. Smith

Thanks for the clarification. My comments were based on opening one of the links that you provided for the user...clearly in the title GPU Intensive Applications.

We will be watching for further development from mike meehan.

ATR

• 8. Re: Elements 10 crashes computer while preparing to burn DVD or to file
                        Mike Meehan Level 1

Thank you to everyone who has responded to my problem.

I tried starting a new project with just the menu and video, no editing.

The computer crashed while rendering to file

I went back to my Pinnacle software and started a project with just a menu

and the same video but no editing.  The computer rendered to file OK.

I went back to my original file and set up my Bluray burner. I also propped

up the back of my laptop to improve air flow.  It burned a disk!

Today, I will check the disk to be sure it works then try burning a DVD

with the computer propped up.  Maybe the problem was overheating as someone

suggested.

On Thu, Jun 26, 2014 at 3:44 PM, A.T. Romano <forums_noreply@adobe.com>

• 9. Re: Elements 10 crashes computer while preparing to burn DVD or to file
                          A.T. Romano Level 7

mike meehan

Thanks for the report on the additional troubleshooting results. We will be watching for further developments.

But, you wrote

Based on that, how are you explaining the Pinnacle working on the same laptop without propping up

of the back of the computer?

Are you working with an internal or external Blu-ray burner?

ATR

• 10. Re: Elements 10 crashes computer while preparing to burn DVD or to file

I will GUESS that your Pinnacle is not stressing your computer as much as PrElements for some reason

Since better airflow seems to have fixed your PrElements problem, look into a laptop fan pad Google

• 11. Re: Elements 10 crashes computer while preparing to burn DVD or to file
                              A.T. Romano Level 7

mike meehan

I am still not a buyer of the heat explanation of your issue, nonetheless I am trying to see it. But based on what you have written I am

not there yet.

In your latest report you wrote in this sequence

I went back to my original file and set up my Bluray burner. I also propped

up the back of my laptop to improve air flow.  It burned a disk!

Today, I will check the disk to be sure it works then try burning a DVD

with the computer propped up.  Maybe the problem was overheating as someone

suggested.

Is the same laptop being used for 1, 2, and the planned 3 above? Are the same files being used?

I am assuming that Pinnacle is used in "1" on the laptop computer, with laptop not propped up.

I am assuming that Premiere Elements is used in "2" on the laptop computer, with laptop propped up. You say "It burned a disk" What format on what disc?

How is "3" above going to be different than "2" above?

When you are getting the burn to failures, can you actually feel any laptop casing heat difference between "1" and "2" above?

We will be watching for further developments and the details.

ATR

• 12. Re: Elements 10 crashes computer while preparing to burn DVD or to file
                                Mike Meehan Level 1

In answer to your previous questions: all tests were run on the same

laptop.  The BD burner is an external unit, the DVD burner is internal.

UPDATE:

I was unable to find a Toshiba diagnostic program but did find a PC Health

monitor program that shows the CPU temp and fan speed.  Once installed, it

showed the CPU temp at 85-90% of max and a fan speed at 90% of max while

processing the video file .  I think a small surge in temperature caused

the CPU to overheat and shut down.

I finally got my wife's vacuum and used the edge tool to suck air from the

computer's outlet vent.  I was able to lower the CPU temp to 30-50% of max

and complete my DVD burn.

Thanks to everyone for the help and suggestions!

On Fri, Jun 27, 2014 at 12:29 PM, A.T. Romano <forums_noreply@adobe.com>

• 13. Re: Elements 10 crashes computer while preparing to burn DVD or to file
                                  A.T. Romano Level 7

mike meehan

Great suggestion by John and great follow through by you.

Were you able to see a good size of debris being caught by the vacuum? But

I guess your proof was in observing the CPU temp lowering from 85-90% of max

to 30-50% of max coupled with the successful DVD burn.

Thanks for the follow ups.

ATR