7 Replies Latest reply on Jun 26, 2014 5:30 PM by A.T. Romano

Bars & Jutter

BoShealecta

Sorry if this question doesnt make sense.  Im so confused I dont even know what day of the week it is

So Ive had some problem with bars being at the sides of my video, I read the forums and realised the project/video/output settings needed to match.  So I've got some raw footage which is 1920x1080 25 frames per second and I've gone to save it as a AVI and made sure I changed the preset so its saving it as 192-x1080 25 frames per second, changed to square pixels and the video has come out and I have no bars.  Result!

Problem is now the video jitters in places and lags.  If I do exactly the same and save it as a WMV the video comes out perfect but just with a bit less quality.  For some reason doing it as an AVI just doesnt seem to be working.  Can anyone help, Im starting to see bars appearing either side of people when they are talking now!!!!

• 1. Re: Bars & Jutter
          A.T. Romano Level 7

boshealecta

Do not worry. We will sort this out. Answer the questions below. If you do not understand something mentioned, then just let me know, and I will explain it another way.

Important: What version of Premiere Elements are you using and on what computer operating system is it running?

You say that your source footage is 1920 x 1080 @ 25 frames per second. What is the brand/model/settings of the camera that recorded that video. I am hoping that you can tell me if that frame rate is "interlaced" or "progressive", that is 1080i, 1080p.... Based on that information, we can decide if the project is set up correctly.

I will give you Windows Media export settings to use once I know what version of Premiere Elements that you are using.

As for your .avi export, what are the details of your export settings?

More later as we await further details. You are not in this alone. Help from a user to user is just a post away.

ATR

• 2. Re: Bars & Jutter
            BoShealecta Level 1

Thanks for your reply

Im running Adobe Premiere Elements 12 on a Windows 8 computer.

As for the source footage, all I know is that its 1920x1080 @ 25 frames per second.  I dont know if its interlaced or progressive as the footage was filmed by an external company who have then passed this on to me.  However for future reference as I wiill be adding my own filming to the project, how do I find out if its interlaced or progressive, is it something I find on the camera, by checking the manual etc

The details of my export settings are below.  I've tried changing everything ie Field Order to all three options etc, but still not much luck.  I either end up with bars, judder, or both.  The best Ive achieved is as a Windows Media File, but just with slight loss of quality which I presume comes from the file type?  Thanks

ap.jpg

• 3. Re: Bars & Jutter
              A.T. Romano Level 7

BoShealecta

Thanks for the reply. If you have 1920 x 1080 @ 25 frames per second source footage, then set your project preset for

If 25 progressive frames per second....

PAL

DSLR

1080p

DSLR 1080p25

If 25 interlaced frames per second

PAL

AVCHD

Full HD 1080i25

You can find out if source has interlaced or progressive frame rate by using video and audio properties readout programs

such as MediaInfo.MediaInfo | Free software downloads at SourceForge.net

Just be careful of your download and install choices so that you do not get any unwanted carry alongs with the MediaInfo program.

Now for exports...

Publish+Share

Computer

Windows Media

set Presets = 720 x 576 16x9 25

Then, under the Advanced Button/Video Tab, customize your Export Settings to look like those in the screenshot below.

WindowsMedia.JPG

If the screenshot is not clear enough, click on it to bring up the clearer version.

There is a box to the right of the Frame Width and Frame Height. It is empty in the

screenshot. If you see that box with a chain link in it, click on that chain link to remove

it from the box. That will enable you to type in the Frame Width and Frame Height without

problems.

Is it required that you produce an .avi file from your Timeline content? Are other formats

acceptable? I am thinking in terms of AVCHD.mp4.

If you need to consider an .avi export, you could look at

Publish+Share

Computer

AVI

and set Presets = DV PAL Widescreen

Then, under the Advanced Button/Video Tab, customize the Export Settings to appear as in the

next screenshot

AVI.JPG

For this AVI export, I downloaded and installed the Lagarith codec and used

that.

Please review the above and then we can decide what next. Any questions or need clarification, please

do not hesitate to ask.

Thanks.

ATR

• 4. Re: Bars & Jutter
                BoShealecta Level 1

Thanks so much for your reply.  The WMV works which is brill, Ive had trouble with the AVI still with it jittering but I think I may have still done something wrong.  However I never even knew you could do an AVHD or whatever its called lol.  I tried that and did an MP4 and it worked perfectly, quality brill and no bars

Thanks so much for your help I really appreciate you taking your time to help me out

• 5. Re: Bars & Jutter
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

BoShealecta

Great news. Great job.

Very impressed with your progress.

Please do not hesitate to ask for clarification on your Premiere Elements workflows.

Best wishes

ATR

• 6. Re: Bars & Jutter
                    BoShealecta Level 1

As a side note which is the best way (quality wise) to export it to YouTube as in the past my videos have always looked grainy and blurry

• 7. Re: Bars & Jutter
                      A.T. Romano Level 7

BoShealecta

If your Premiere Elements Timeline content is greater than 2 GB/15 minutes, you cannot use the Publish+Share/Social Websites/YouTube.

Then, you export your Timeline content to a file saved to the computer hard drive and from there upload it to YouTube at the YouTube web site.

There the limit is the same as in the Premiere Elements feature, however at YouTube you can apply for an special account that will give you

more time buy only when you upload at YouTube. The Premiere Elements file that you would use for this route would be:

Publish+Share

Computer

AVCHD

with Presets = MP4 - H.264 1920 x 1080p25

If you can use the Publish+Share/Social Websites/YouTube, then select Presets = PAL High Definition Video for YouTube - 1920 x 1080.

At the bottom of the YouTube area there you should see an estimated File Size and Duration.

Please let us know how that works for you.

Thank you.

ATR