11 Replies Latest reply on Jun 26, 2014 2:03 PM by A.T. Romano

Olympus E-M1 codec

ViviansViews Level 1

Even though my Olympus E-M1 produces .mov files Premier Elements 12 can not access.  Is there a codec to download for this?

• 1. Re: Olympus E-M1 codec
          John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

MOV is a wrapper, what is inside YOUR wrapper - Exactly what is INSIDE the video you are editing?

Codec & Format information, with 2 links inside for you to read http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1270588

Report back with the codec details of your file, use the programs below... A screen shot works well to SHOW people what you are doing

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/592070?tstart=30 for screen shot instructions

Free programs to get file information for PC/Mac http://mediaarea.net/en/MediaInfo/Download

Have you check the Olympus specifications E-M1 16MP Interchangeable Lens Digital Camera - OM-D | Olympus for your camera?

Have you checked the CD that came with your camera to find an Olympus codec to install?

• 2. Re: Olympus E-M1 codec
            A.T. Romano Level 7

viviansviews

What computer operating system is your Premiere Elements 12 running on? And, have you updated from 12 to 12.1 yet?

Be that as it may, your Olympus E-M1 appears to be offering recording using either H.264 or MotionJPEG video compression.

There should be no problems with Premiere Elements with H.264.mov. But, Premiere Elements (any version) can have

problems with the MotionJPEG video compression.

In those instances, the answers include:

a. install a utility that came with the camera in order to have the correct video codec available to the Premiere Elements project

or

b. Download and install a MotionJPEG video codec (popular as been the Morgan MotionJPEG codec.

or

c. Convert the MotionJPEG.mov to another format that will be compatible with Premiere Elements 12.

Two major confirmations from you needed:

a. You have the latest version of QuickTime installed on your computer with Premiere Elements 12.

and

b. That you set the camera to record with the MotionJPEG codec and not the H.264 codec.

Please review and consider and then we can discuss the specifics of your situation further.

Thank you.

ATR

• 3. Re: Olympus E-M1 codec
              A.T. Romano Level 7

viviansviews

Please refer to my post  2.

I did not see John's post until after I had posted my post numbered 2.

Based on the information which I found easily from online sources, you should not have do be using

any video audio properties readout program to get to the core of your issue.

Confirmation of the camera's specifications that I found online + answers to the questions which

I based on my online findings, should define the issues and get us to a resolution.

Thanks.

ATR

• 4. Re: Olympus E-M1 codec
                ViviansViews Level 1

Thanks for the feedback.  According to the camera specs I seem to have a choice of H.264 or MotionJPEG but I don't find any reference anywhere how to switch between the two.  Or am I mis-reading the specs?  Here they are:

E-M1 specs.jpg

Also, here is the screen shot of my error message from PS Premier Elements 12. 

Premier error message.jpg

Finally, how do I tell by looking at my file whether it's one or the other.  In the "Properties", it just says .mov?

Thanks!!!!!

• 5. Re: Olympus E-M1 codec
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

viviansviews

According to your cameras specificaitons that you posted, if it was recording MotionJPEG, then the file extension would be .avi. Your file for import does not have an .avi file extension. So, the conclusion drawn is that you do not have MotionJPEG codec. Instead, you would have the camera's alternative of AVCHD with the .mov file extension.

Download and install the GSpot utility for confirming video and audio codecs (their name, codec, and status). And, then let us know what you find.

http://www.headbands.com/gspot/

If you really do have AVCHD.mov in your 1080p30 file, then I would expect that to be supported by Premiere Elements under the project preset

NTSC

DSLR

1080p

DSLR 1080p30 @ 29.97

Again, are you confirming that you have the latest version of QuickTime installed on your computer with Premiere Elements 12?

We will be watching for your results.

Thank you.

ATR

• 6. Re: Olympus E-M1 codec
                    ViviansViews Level 1

I am prefer not to let Apple try in infiltrate my computer.  I do not have QuickTime on my computer.  Is there some QuickTime stuff that comes in the Premier that is sufficient?  Or do I need to "get over it" and download QuickTime.

• 7. Re: Olympus E-M1 codec
                      John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Quicktime is required to open the "Apple owned" MOV codec

• 8. Re: Olympus E-M1 codec
                        A.T. Romano Level 7

ViviansViews

Please see page 71 of the Olympus E-M1 User Manual for the camera choices.

http://www.olympusamerica.com/files/oima_cckb/E-M1_MANUAL_EN.pdf

Do you know the frame size of your video? If it is 1920 x 1080, then that further supports your video as AVCHD.mov

and not MotionJPEG.avi or some other variant of a file which has MotionJPEG video compression.

Unless Olympus uses some sort of proprietary codec, there should be no problems with your video in Premiere Elements 12.

I think that getting confirming codec status information from the GSpot program for your video would be very useful.

ATR

• 9. Re: Olympus E-M1 codec
                          A.T. Romano Level 7

ViviansViews

I did not see your latest post and that of John's until after I posted mine.

At this point, QuickTime installation is your answer to your issue. No workaround, except if you convert your

video beforehand to a non .mov format.

ATR

• 10. Re: Olympus E-M1 codec
                            ViviansViews Level 1

OK. I downloaded and installed QuickTIme.  Elements now can access the file.  THANKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• 11. Re: Olympus E-M1 codec
                              A.T. Romano Level 7

ViviansViews

Thanks for the follow up.

ATR