2 Replies Latest reply on May 1, 2007 8:44 PM by hutch-diggens

Probably an easy fix....

hutch-diggens
      hey there all,
      I have a movie clip that has a few layers and a button on one of the layers. on the button I have this code:
      on(rollOver){
      gotoAndPlay("over");
      }
      on(rollOut){
      gotoAndPlay("out");
      }

Now, this mc is on the Main timeline and has an istance name "home_btn". I have a sliding menu type navagation going on and have some code for the "home_btn" on the main timeline:
      home_btn.onRelease = function(){
      menuSlide(contentHold.content1);
      }

WHen I try to use the code on the maintime line and the code on the button inside the mc--it ofcourse doesn't work.
      How can I reference the rollover/out actions on the inside of the mc from the main timeline?
      Or, is there an easy away around this?

thanks,
      h
        • 1. Re: Probably an easy fix....
          dr_ross Level 1
          You could do a quick Hack and prefix your calls with _root. , this will target the main root timeline.

But the best way would be to use a mix of this and _parent to relatively target the timeline or other instances you need, that way you can always put the movie inside anything else without issue.
          • 2. Re: Probably an easy fix....
            hutch-diggens Level 1
            man, idk. For some reason I'm confused w/this...maybe it's because I've worked myself into a mental block(???)

I tried to put all the code on the btn inside the movie clip and use _root on the on(release) function...no go.

I also tried taking all the code off the btn inside the mc and giving the button an instance name "homebtn1" and adding this code to the main timeline:
            homebtn_mc.onRelease = function(){
            menuSlide(contentHold.content1);
            }

homebtn_mc.homebtn1.onRollOver = function(){
            gotoAndPlay("over");
            }

homebtn_mc.homebtn1.onRollOut = function(){
            gotoAndPlay("out");
            }

(I would rather have all the code in the main timeline---but I much rather have the button's work)

any further suggestions would be deeply appreciated.
            thanks again,
            h (uggggggggggggggg)