4 Replies Latest reply on Jun 26, 2014 8:58 PM by zez

reinstallation

zez

It is likely I'm going to reset my computer and reinstall Windows 8,
      then upgrade to Windows 8.1.

As you will know, doing so will wipe files and programs from the computer harddrive.

Personal files have been suitably backed up to external drive.

In the harddrive dowload folder on 'My PC there are the folowing downloaded files:

PremiereElements_12_LS26_win64: 7Z
      PremiereElements_12_LS26_win64: Adobe Extractor

These were downloaded from the Adobe site.
      They were used to extract the  program.

On extraction of Adobe Premiere Elements 12
      a folder called Adobe Premiere Elements 12 was put on my desktop.

I have not retained the original downloaded files for
      Adobe Photoshop Elements 12
      but do have the folder Adobe Photoshop Elements 12
      that was put on my desktop on extraction.

If I reset my computer these files and folders will be deleted,
      along with the respective programs.

I have backed up to external drive:
      PremiereElements_12_LS26_win64: 7Z               (downloaded file)
      PremiereElements_12_LS26_win64: Adobe Extractor  (downloaded file)
      and
      Adobe Premiere Elements 12   (originally on desktop)
      Adobe Photoshop Elements 12  (originally on desktop)

The folders put onto the desktop:
      Adobe Premiere Elements 12 
      Adobe Photoshop Elements 12

They both contain a Adobe Premiere Elements 12 Windows Installer file,
      which presumably can be clicked to initiate an installation.

I was informed, through technical support,
      these could be transferred to external storage as backups.

Can you confirm that the files:
      Adobe Premiere Elements 12   (originally on desktop)
      Adobe Photoshop Elements 12  (originally on desktop)

are able to be used to reinstall the programs,
      should I need to reinstall the programs after computer reset.

After reset, Id take them over to the desk top and use them to install from there.
      To initiate installation I'd click on the Adobe Premiere Elements 12 Windows Installer file.

Presumably, the two files:
      PremiereElements_12_LS26_win64: 7Z                       (downloaded file)
      PremiereElements_12_LS26_win64: Adobe Extractor  (downloaded file)
      saved to downloads, and then backed up to external drive,
      could, after computer reset, be transferred back onto the computer,
      and be used for extraction of the program.

I take it that this isn't necessary as the Adobe Premiere Elements 12,
      that was initially on the desktop, can be replaced there, from backup drive,
      can be used to re-install after any reset of the computer.

likewise for Adobe Photoshop Elements 12.

Please confirm the correctness, or otherwise, of this procedure,
      and any of the earlier statements on these files/folders.

Please inform of any other steps I may have to consider.

(I could download again from site, but installation from saved files would be more convenient.)

Would re-registration be required?

• 1. Re: reinstallation
          A.T. Romano Level 7

zez

This is not Adobe. Just user to user. If you need installation confirmations then best contact the Adobe Technical people who gave you input on this matter previously.

Providing no corrupt files are involved, you should be able to double click the Setup.exe in the Adobe Premiere Elements 12 Folder to initiate the installation of Premiere Elements 12. Photoshop Elements 12 would be expected to be installed by using the Setup.exe in the Adobe Photoshop Elements 12 Folder.

When you get to the Sign In dialog at the end of the installation, your signing in should activate the program as well as automatically register it.

Before start resetting your computer, you should think about "Signing Out" from both Photoshop Elements 12 and Premiere Elements 12 (see

opened project Help Menu/Sign Out...to deactivate them). Then uninstall them using the routine Control Panel route, followed by ccleaner run through.

That is my generalized impression on how the process works.

ATR

• 2. Re: reinstallation
            zez Level 1

AT,

Thanks for reply.

Know that you are a community member and not an Adobe Tech.

We've exchanged before. Good to hear from you. Hope you're ok.

So user to user -

Have contacted the Adobe Technical people who gave input on this matter previously.

The advice is to re-download from Adobe site. This is to be safe, and avoid corrupted files.

If that is the case, then I'll do that.

I was aware that the PRE12 and PSE12 folders put onto my desktop on extraction were in case of reinstallation need.

But wished to confirm, so asked forum, and did a tech chat with Adobe techs also.

So know I can re-install via the saved folders I took from desktop to external drive, but the advice is to re-download.

'Providing no corrupt files are involved, you should be able to double click the Setup.exe in the Adobe Premiere Elements 12 Folder to initiate the installation of Premiere Elements 12. Photoshop Elements 12 would be expected to be installed by using the Setup.exe in the Adobe Photoshop Elements 12 Folder.'

Yes. Agree. Both the PRE12 and PSE12 folders (on desktop, and also backed up to external drive) have installation files.

Also, I have copies of the original PRE12 downloaded files put into the download folder on computer,

and also backed up to external drive. I could re-extract from this. These are the 7Z zip and accompanying exe for PRE12.

However as these files and folders have been copied to backup, there is a small chance of corruption.

So likely re-download is preferred.

To re-install from saved files/folders might have been more convenient, but if re-download is preferable then will do.

The computer reset will be complete, so all files and programs will be wiped.

'Before start resetting your computer, you should think about "Signing Out" from both Photoshop Elements 12 and Premiere Elements 12 (see

opened project Help Menu/Sign Out...to deactivate them).'

If I sign out, as you suggest, will that not affect my account and ability to contact tech, if needs be for installing advice?

'Then uninstall them using the routine Control Panel route, followed by ccleaner run through.'

Understand your comment. But the reset will clean the disc anyhow. Yes?

'When you get to the Sign In dialog at the end of the installation, your signing in should activate the program as well as automatically register it.'

Yes. Thanks for confirming this. I reckoned re-installation would require  Sign in and a re-registration. That's ok.

'That is my generalized impression on how the process works'

Thank you for your impression.

zez

• 3. Re: reinstallation
              A.T. Romano Level 7

zez

I am thinking that the computer reset is not going to be as effective as ccleaner run through in getting rid of leftovers. By reset do you mean a computer reset to the factory settings. If so, what was the original operating system of your computer - Windows 7 64 bit or something else? What is the route now Window 7 to Windows 8 to Windows 8.1 or something else?

Photoshop Elements 12 and Premiere Elements 12 has worked fine for me on Windows 7, 8, and 8.1 64 bit. But Premiere Elements 12 and Photoshop Elements have proven the most challenging for me when it comes to a reinstall. Any problems with the reinstall, I will share with you my problems and resolutions in that regard.

But, keeping a positive thought for success in what you seek.

Thanks.

ATR

• 4. Re: reinstallation
                zez Level 1

AT,

Hi.

It will be a full drive reset.

So all contents will be wiped. Factory settings. Back to Windows 8: 64 bit. That is the Factory set OS.

Reckon there was a slight problem with the upgrade to Windows 8.1 from Windows 8.

Seems relatively common if the forums are to be believed.

This said, pse12 is working ok.

So is pre12, but, here, a couple of glitches have been flagged up.

So, there is a slight problem with pre12, even if it appears to work ok,

and, to date, have not found using it a problem.

Still something needs sorted.

The OS needs reset.

The issue shows up more with other programs, and this is why I will reset.

As I will reset, all the installed programs will require reinstallation. 

If the reset to 8, and upgrade to 8.1, go ok, then program reinstall should be a basic move.

A clean install from Adobe site.

I'm aware installing can come with issues.

On my initial install of pre12 and pse12, I had to be re-downloaded, but then it went ok.

As said reckon the issue is with the OS, not the programs or downloading;

though perhaps the .OS/app interface, due to the OS.

The OS seems to work ok, and, generally, the system tools show it's ok,

but there is some file corruption that needs sorted.

I say the issues with the OS are slight. It works ok with most stuff,

so the upgrade to 8.1 didn't fail totally, but it wasn't good enough,

and issues have been highlighted. It's enough to go for a reset.

'Any problems with the reinstall, I will share with you my problems and resolutions in that regard.'

Thanks for the offer. If issues arise will go to tech, or community, or both.

But, keeping a positive thought for success in what you seek.

Thanks. That's a good thought.

zez