8 Replies Latest reply on Jun 30, 2014 9:36 PM by Brooke May

Printing of pull up banners

Brooke May

I am creating pull up banners in InDesign which each contain a large image. The banners are 850mm (W) x 2170mm (H). I have already had some printed and they worked well. However, the printer advised that the had to "set the resolution for the actual size". What does this mean and can I better prepare my document for print?

• 1. Re: Printing of pull up banners
          rajsre Adobe Employee

First, understand what is the recommended image resolution for placed images. The printer would recommend 300dpi, higher or lower depending on the printing machines and techniques. Supposing the recommended resolution for your printer is 300dpi:

- Select the placed image in InDesign and go to the Links panel and note the "effective dpi" shown in the panel. This should fall within the range what the Printer recommended.

- If it is not matching with the recommended resolution, use image editing program to change the resolution, or use alternate images of right resolution.

- If the image resolution has been tampered due to scaling in InDesign, avoid such scaling which takes the images to unprintable resolutions.

Note that if the images are not within the printer recommended resolutions, the images would still print from InDesign, but the output quality would be affected.

• 2. Re: Printing of pull up banners
            Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

Also, if you are making the ID file at a smaller scale and the printer is scaling up for output, your images need to have proportionally higher resolution (if you work half-size, images that need to be 300 PPI should be 600 PPI), and it is vital that you check the export settings to make sure you are not downsampling when you make the PDF.

It depends a lot on the image, of course, but banners are typically printed on large inkjet plotters and are viewed from a distance, so you can usually get by with 150 ppi effective resolution at print size for most images, even less for soft imagery, but do ask the printer what they recommend.

• 3. Re: Printing of pull up banners
              Brooke May Level 1

Thanks for replying. I have checked and the banners say Actual PPI 300 and Effective PPI 108 (or similar). It looks like I have scaled the images as it says Scale 277.6%. The InDesign file has been made at the actual size. The images are good quality. How do I work around the scaling issue as I just place the image in? Also, when going to PDF, should I select Do not downsample under Compression? Currently, our default is Downsampling to 300ppi for images above 450ppi.

• 4. Re: Printing of pull up banners

The effective ppi number is the one that matters, and 108 is marginal (but again, the printer will tell you and it depends on the type of image and how it is used and viewed). Starting with higher-res or bigger images would be better, if you can find them. If you are designing at 100% your downsampling settings are OK.

• 5. Re: Printing of pull up banners
                  rajsre Adobe Employee

Yes, depends on Printer recommendation. Some banners (since they are normally viewed from distance) need only low resolution images/printing, as the viewing distance makes them look high resolution!

In this case, if you are making the banner in 1:1 size and printer recommendation is to provide a recommended PPI, please do the following:

- Open the image in Photoshop, go to Image > Size and provide the new dimensions for the image and the recommended resolution whatever. Thus allow Photoshop to resample the image. Then place the image in ID. This should avoid problems due to inappropriate scaling in ID.

• 6. Re: Printing of pull up banners

Upsamplin in Photoshop will do absolutely nothing to improve the image quality and is a waste of time. The only thing it will do is get rid of a preflight warning.

• 7. Re: Printing of pull up banners
                      rajsre Adobe Employee

Absolutely! Upsampling will not help improve image quality (unlike vector images). This post started with a printer requirement: "set the resolution for actual size". That requirement will be satisfied, I hope.

• 8. Re: Printing of pull up banners
                        Brooke May Level 1

I have done that now and it comes up with Actual PPI 300 and Effective PPI 300, Scaling 100% - I think that will now satisfy the printers requirements. Thanks all for your help!