17 Replies Latest reply on Jun 28, 2014 6:35 PM by A.T. Romano

How Do I Move My Photos From One Drive To Another?

MGW of Boulder

Can I simply do this in my "Folders" view by dragging the highest level "Photo Folder" to the other drive.

My computer's primary drive (C) is only 500GB whereas my second drive (D) is now 1TB.  For obvious reasons I would like to get my nearly 3,000 digital photos moved to the larger drive.

Running Premiere Elements 11 under Microsoft Windows 7 on a Lenovo W520 Laptop 

• 1. Re: How Do I Move My Photos From One Drive To Another?
          A.T. Romano Level 7

MGW of Boulder

Do you have existing Premiere Elements 11 projects whose source media include these photos at the C drive location?

ATR

• 2. Re: How Do I Move My Photos From One Drive To Another?
            Peru Bob Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Yes you can, but as ATR is indicating, you will have to relink the photos if they are in use in a project.

• 4. Re: How Do I Move My Photos From One Drive To Another?
              A.T. Romano Level 7

MGW of Boulder

I will be back shortly with a plan of action, strategy, or considerations on dealing with moving those photos from C to D drive.

How many existing projects need those photos as source media? And, how are these projects saved now, archived or no?

More later.

ATR

• 5. Re: How Do I Move My Photos From One Drive To Another?
                Peru Bob Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Won't Premiere Elements ask for the location of the moved media when the project is opened after the move?

Then you would just tell it the location of the first item and it should find the rest.

That's the way it works with Premiere Pro CS5.5 and the last version of Premiere Elements (3.0.2) that I used.

• 6. Re: How Do I Move My Photos From One Drive To Another?
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

Peru Bob

I will be posting all the information on the question asked shortly.

Classically when project media are moved, deleted, renamed (files and/or folder) after the project is saved closed, the Premiere Elements user reopens the project and is greeted by "Where is the file....?" messages to help the user reconnect each and every file that has lost its trace back to the project. If the user gets lucky, responding to one of the "Where is the file...?" messages triggers the rest of the missing files to be reconnected. But it does not always work like that at the "Where is the file..." level as well as the just getting the involved project to open level. An alternative recovery plan involves the use of the Premiere Elements Replace Footage feature. As a first pass on such a situation, the "Where is the file....?" would be my first choice.

With 3000 photos involved, all the facts/details need to be viewed to avoid a mess.

ATR

• 7. Re: How Do I Move My Photos From One Drive To Another?
                    MGW of Boulder Level 1

There are at least a half dozen or so projects.  Most are Photoshop Elements (Slide Show) projects which have also been transferred into Premiere Elements to make videos.

Most of my projects have not been archived.

• 8. Re: How Do I Move My Photos From One Drive To Another?
                      A.T. Romano Level 7

MGW of Boulder

Thanks for the additional information for your question.

I will factor in the Elements Organizer Slideshow Editor slideshow that you have saved to the Elements Organizer as Slideshow Project as well as those slideshows which subsequently were incorporated and represented in the Premiere Elements project.prel file that went to a video export.

More later.

ATR

• 9. Re: How Do I Move My Photos From One Drive To Another?
                        MGW of Boulder Level 1

Thanks,

It’s too bad that the Projects don’t use the Organizer Database to find the elements contained within them.

Waiting to hear your advice on how to move my photos.  By the way, I misstated the number.  It is actually close to 30,000 objects.  That’s why I wanted to be careful.

• 10. Re: How Do I Move My Photos From One Drive To Another?
                          A.T. Romano Level 7

MGW of Boulder

The bottom bottom line may be to make the photo-moves in stages, one successful stage after another C to D drives.

And, then make Elements Organizer Slideshow Project (.psess) and Premiere Elements project.prel media reconnects

as they come, using whatever the program gives you in the way of media reconnect dialogs. Alternatively using the

program's Replace Footage feature.

ATR Premiere Elements Troubleshooting: PE11: Replace Footage

Below is the unabridged version of the above.

The bottom line is that you are going to run to media disconnect/reconnect issues when you move, delete, or rename

files/folders  after the save close of the Elements Organizer Slideshow Project and/or the Premiere Elements 12 project

file which uses the Slideshow Project as source media.

The reconnect of the Elements Organizer’s Slideshow Project media can be as simple as double clicking the Slideshow

Project thumbnail in the Elements Organizer and watching as it automatically reconnects the media to the Slideshow Project.

Other times, the program is unsuccessful in the find/reconnect mission, and its dialog offers you the opportunity to “find them

yourself and reconnect the media to the Slideshow Project”.

In this scenario where Premiere Elements is working with the Elements Organizer slideshow, when you open the Premiere

Elements saved closed project, you should be greeted with the first of the “Where is the file…..?” messages.  Using the first

and directing it to the current location of the first missing photo can restore not only that photo but all the others in the folder.

In most cases, the reconnection of the missing files at the Elements Organizer level did not automatically reconnect the

media in its slideshow contribution to Premiere Elements. But, there was one time when it did.

When you write 30,000 photos to be moved…the variables are overwhelming. The main objective should be maintain the

integrity of your existing saved closed Premiere Elements projects files and that of the Elements Organizer Slideshow

Project files. I would use the Project Archiver to archive these existing projects. If you need Project Assets media whether

used on the Timeline or not plus the media that went to the Timeline, then use the Copy option of the Project Archiver. If you

just want media that went to the Timeline, then use the Archiver option.

Adobe Premiere Elements 11 * Archiving projects

The rationale behind the Project Archiver is that is makes copies of the source media and the project .prel file and places

them in a special folder. The project.prel in that folder then traces back to the source media in that folder and is independent

of the original source media on the computer hard drive.

If you want to get the Elements Organizer Slideshow Project (.psess file) out of harms way, you could consider copying that

file and saving it to a safe save spot on the computer hard drive. The Slideshow Project (.psess file) is found

Local Disk C

Program Data

Adobe

Elements Organizer

Catalogs

Name of Catalog

Projects

And in the Projects Folder is the Slideshow Project (.psess file).

As I said in the abridged version of all this at the top of the post, you may not want to be this "guarded" and instead just use

the approach mentioned at the top.

I will think about this some more.

ATR

• 11. Re: How Do I Move My Photos From One Drive To Another?
                            MGW of Boulder Level 1

Thanks for your comprehensive reply.  Net, Net, it's not simple to move things.

When Premiere Elements makes an Archive:

Can one open the Archive and preform edit and share functions just like what one would do with the project file?

Does it also include the objects included in a Photoshop Organizer Slideshow or does it stop with the Slideshow file?

I've concluded some time ago that Adobe has an architecture problem when it comes to projects.  I've spent a lot of time looking for elements included in projects that have become lost due to moved or renamed files.

• 12. Re: How Do I Move My Photos From One Drive To Another?
                              MGW of Boulder Level 1

Note:

Project Archive fails when I attempt to put the archive on my network drive.  I assume that is because the link to my network drive is not      fast enough.

• 13. Re: How Do I Move My Photos From One Drive To Another?
                                A.T. Romano Level 7

MGW of Boulder

Thanks for the reply.

Does it also include the objects included in a Photoshop Organizer Slideshow or does it stop with the Slideshow file?

Short answer: Copied Folder includes in this case copy of project.prel plus copies of individual photos that went into Elements Organizer's "Slideshow Project"

The individual photos are in the Copied Folder and not in a folder in the Copied Folder.

Longer answer.

If you use the Copy option of the Premiere Elements Project Archiver, you save a folder named "Copied Name of Project". This folder typically contains all the media in Project Assets (even those not taken to the Timeline). Now to your question specific to archiving the Premiere Elements project that has received the Elements Organizer Slideshow Project (.psess).

When you use the Elements Organizer Slideshow Editor Output Option = Edit with Premiere Elements Editor, that sends a folder containing the Slideshow Project's individual media and your slideshow as a video .psess file to Premiere Elements Project Assets. And, it also automatically places a copy of the .psess on the Timeline. You can leave the .psess as is or break it apart for further significant edits. (See Premiere Elements Break Apart Elements Organizer Slideshow command accessed by right clicking the .psess on the Timeline and selecting that command in the pop up menu. Assuming that you leave the .psess as is and archive this project.

Interesting results when you go to archive (Copy option) this project...the Copied Folder includes a copy of the Premiere Elements project file (project.prel) and copies of the individual media of the project.prel but it does not display a copy of the ..psess file (video version of slideshow that was in Project Assets and which was automatically placed on the Timeline from the Elements Organizer Slideshow Editor's Edit with Premiere Elements Editor command).

But, when you open the project.prel in the Copied Folder as described in the answer to the next question, you find Project Assets containing the Elements Organizer's sendings of what you saw there for the archiving

• Slideshow Project's individual media in a Folder
                                • Video (.psess) representing the slideshow

and the Timeline containing the .psess version of the slideshow.

Can one open the Archive and preform edit and share functions just like what one would do with the project file?

After the archiving of the project, you right click the project.prel in the Copied Folder and select Open With from the drop down menu, followed by Adobe Premiere Elements 12. When the project opens, it will be tracing back to the source media in the Copied Folder.

All sorts of variations on the details as one evolves into another.

ATR

• 14. Re: How Do I Move My Photos From One Drive To Another?
                                  MGW of Boulder Level 1

From the above, I conclude that in general,

Archive->Copy protects the project from loss of, or disconnect from assets included in the project. 

In some cases, the structure may not be the same but, the entire video project is there.

Of course, one pays a "duplicate storage" price.

Since the project I have been working on has become a family treasure, I made an archive copy and put it on my network drive.  Had to do it in two steps (1. archive to internal drive, 2. copy to network drive) but it seems to have worked.  In this case, I did not have any two level assets (Organizer Slideshow contained within Premiere Elements Project) to deal with so I could not tell how that ends up in the archive folder.

I would say my safe solution is to Archive all of my video projects prior to moving any of the assets within Photoshop Organizer.  That would still leave me with broken links to the lower level Photoshop Organizer Slideshow projects but that is of lesser concern since they were only a means to an end.  Also, I can most likely re-establish those links once the move is made.

• 15. Re: How Do I Move My Photos From One Drive To Another?
                                    A.T. Romano Level 7

MGW of Boulder

I did not see your post numbered 12 about the network/Project Archiver problem, but glad to see you worked that out. Great job.

Sounds like great progress. The size of your overall mission lends itself to a flexible plan which has guidelines but allows for as you go adjustments.

If you have not already, best take detailed notes to keep track of the comings and goings of those 30,000 files.

It is well worth the extra time for establishing backups, even if they will not be needed, let us hope.

ATR

• 16. Re: How Do I Move My Photos From One Drive To Another?
                                      MGW of Boulder Level 1

Yep, backup of my Organizer Catalog (about 30,000 assets) was one of the first tasks I did after I got my network drive hooked up.  The backup ran for about twenty hours.  I was previously using a USB attached 500GB hard drive for that purpose. 

Since I have a Blu-ray drive (for some of my video projects) I can make an archive disk of the project and put it in the same case with the playable Blu-ray disk.  I was able to complete one for the approx one hour "Family Treasure" I just completed.  It took three tries to get the 21gb file on a 23gb Blu-ray data disk but, it is there now.

That project is of the vacation my wife and I took after we finished college and got jobs and before we started a family fifty years ago.  Quite a few memories buried in that video.  I was surprised fifty year old 8mm film and 35mm slides could result in such a nice looking Blu-ray Video.  It has been quite a journey.

Thanks for your help along the way.

• 17. Re: How Do I Move My Photos From One Drive To Another?
                                        A.T. Romano Level 7

MGW of Boulder

I was so glad for the opportunity to be of assistance with your family treasures projects involving Premiere Elements.

That was a huge (30,000 photos worth) task for you. I applaud your success. Until everything settles, nothing like lots of backups and backups for the backups.

Best wishes to you and the family.

ATR