2 Replies Latest reply on Oct 20, 2014 11:34 AM by uw_photographer

How do I tell lightroom 5 to use a catalog that's been moved onto a different disk?

Wilky_1950 Level 1

I have moved the whole of My Pictures folder (including my Lightroom Catalog), which was previously located on my Windows 7 (64bit) C:drive, onto another disk (F:) and now I need to update Lightroom so that it knows where to find its re-located Catalog.

Please could I have some basic instructions for altering Lightroom's settings, in order to use the old Catalog again.

Thanks for your help,

Ian

• 1. Re: How do I tell lightroom 5 to use a catalog that's been moved onto a different disk?
          DdeGannes Adobe Community Professional

This can be very simple or it can be complex. To start you off, first make sure that the Catalog file (the one with the .lrcat (LRCAT) extension) and the Previews file the one that has the same name as the Catalog file but with the  Previews.lrdata extension are in the same folder. With Lightroom closed double click on the Catalog file and it should boot Lightroom, if the Original Photo Files are in their original location every thing should be fine. If the Original Files are not in the same location then you will have to direct Lightroom to where they are located. Post additional info if you need further help. 

• 2. Re: How do I tell lightroom 5 to use a catalog that's been moved onto a different disk?
            uw_photographer

I would like to check I have definitely understood this. I want to move my photos and catalogs from their current location to another location on my hard drive (into a dropbox folder).

The images are organised into sub-folders underneath each catalog folder. So, as I understand it, as long as I move the file structure including catalog and image folders, I can simply drag them from one place to another?

I am checking because I have thousands of images and I don't want to break the catalog.

Thanks