4 Replies Latest reply on Jun 29, 2014 4:08 AM by jllr2

After closing P'shop CC, get error message that P

jllr2 Level 1

Just installed P'shop CC last week. Still have P'shop CS6 on my system and it has no problem.

After working with complex images (Smart Objects and many layers), when I exit after closing everything, I get a message screen saying that Photoshop has encountered an error and has to close. When I check my event log, it shows the following (attached):

Pshop error.jpg

Any idea why this is happening. My Win 7 64-bit system has 12GB memory, plenty of disk space. Suggestions welcome.

Thanks.

• 1. Re: After closing P'shop CC, get error message that P
          Level 7

Most commonly that sort of crash is caused by bugs in drivers or third party plugins.

Do you have any third party plugins installed? If so, have you tried disabling them?

• 2. Re: After closing P'shop CC, get error message that P
            jllr2 Level 1

Chris,

I use one set of plugins with P'shop CC-2014: the NIK suite. I originally installed it for P'shop CS6, and when I installed CC last week I merely copied over the plugins to the CC-2014 Plugins folder. Didn't install them in the usual sense. This seemed to work, but it may be causing problems. I'll delete the plugins  for CC, and then install them in the usual way to see if it makes any difference.

Have you heard any reported problems with the NIK suite and CC-2014?

• 3. Re: After closing P'shop CC, get error message that P
              Level 7

Yes, Nik has a few problems with CC 2014, as well as some older problems if you haven't updated the plugins recently.

• 4. Re: After closing P'shop CC, get error message that P
                jllr2 Level 1

Chris,

As far as I can see, I am up to date on the NIK software. It's now owned by Google, and as usual they've set up automatic "calling home" to get the NIK updates. I've changed the frequency to once a week instead of daily at startup, but as of yesterday, it's up to date.

I think, after solving another CC problem with printing, that CC is butting heads with another one of my programs. Not sure which one it is, but have some good ideas. Suddenly, last week I was unable to get good prints from my Epson Pro 4880, using Epson inks and paper. I've been printing for years with this printer and P'shop and Lightroom, and with my calibrated monitor and the correct profiles have never had a problem getting excellent prints. After checking the monitor calibration, using fresh paper and some new ink cartridges, and checking everything I could think of, I decided to try printing first thing this morning before I loaded two of my memory hog programs that I run every day. Lo and behold, the prints were perfect again. One of my suspected culprits is LastPass, my password manager. It was updated the day before I started having the printer problem. Need to check further, but it's possible that the error message I've gotten with P'shop CC-2014 is because CC is trying to access an address in memory that is already taken by one of these two programs. I also suspect that another of my programs has a memory leak, which I'll never solve, but the answer is that ideally I should do P'shop work when the computer is relatively "calm" and there aren't a half-dozen other programs running at the same time.