6 Replies Latest reply on Jun 30, 2014 1:44 PM by nullsebasvideo

A couple of CC newbie questions on C4D lite

nullsebasvideo Level 1

Sorry to ask these questions that I would probably know after a few days of fiddling around with AE CC and C4D lite, but I'm anxious to do something with it. This is my first upgrade to CC since CS6 and I know other 3D programs but not C4D. So I have a few questions if somebody's nice enough to reply:

1) Other than OpenGL within the program, does C4D Lite use the GPU for rendering at all?

2) Inside C4D Lite, the Output configuration settings show a message that says "Image resolution: 800x600 pixel - Application license limit of 800x600 pixel". However, you can enter whatever width and height you want in there, and it has factory presets for several HD and film formats, so what is that license restriction about?

3) When pressing the render view button it renders that frame, but as soon as I scroll through the timeline it goes back to OpenGL view. Is there a way to leave it in render mode always, something like VPR would be in Lightwave, or the preview window in Modo?

4) I had read a post in a forum (I can't remember exactly which one), that said there was a way to export an FBX from C4D Lite. As far as I can tell and I searched online, this is not possible, only import is possible, correct?

5) Is there any way to export a camera path and nulls from After Effects (not C4D lite) to an FBX, Collada or some other format that can be opened by 3D programs? While I have a plugin that allows sending camera and nulls to a Lightwave file, from which I can export to an FBX to take into Modo, I would like a more direct solution that doesn't involve Lightwave.

6) Now about After Effects, the GPU information dialog recognizes my two graphics cards, but I wonder does AE take advantage of this in any way? I know that graphics cards don't share VRAM so two 4GB cards don't mean 8 GB of VRAM total, but I know that in theory, two cards that are the same specs render at twice the speed of one. So does AE render twice as fast with two graphics cards that are the same? And does Premiere do the same?

7) Related to the last question, my two cards are not connected in an SLI configuration because the only reason I have two cards is to render in Octane, which is not compatible with SLI. But if AE and/or Premiere take any advantage of this dual card setup, should I use the SLI connector?

Thanks,

Sebastian

• 1. Re: A couple of CC newbie questions on C4D lite
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

1) Other than OpenGL within the program, does C4D Lite use the GPU for rendering at all?

No. even the full C4D has no GPU rendering features.

2) Inside C4D Lite, the Output configuration settings show a message that says "Image resolution: 800x600 pixel - Application license limit of 800x600 pixel". However, you can enter whatever width and height you want in there, and it has factory presets for several HD and film formats, so what is that license restriction about?

This only applies when rendering directly from C4D Lite. When you use it via Cineware, all resolutions can be used.

3) When pressing the render view button it renders that frame, but as soon as I scroll through the timeline it goes back to OpenGL view. Is there a way to leave it in render mode always, something like VPR would be in Lightwave, or the preview window in Modo?

Not really. You can set the interactive render region to be that large, but C4D only uses the standard renderer for it, so it's going to be slow. That's really where C4D fails massively.

4) I had read a post in a forum (I can't remember exactly which one), that said there was a way to export an FBX from C4D Lite. As far as I can tell and I searched online, this is not possible, only import is possible, correct?

5) Is there any way to export a camera path and nulls from After Effects (not C4D lite) to an FBX, Collada or some other format that can be opened by 3D programs? While I have a plugin that allows sending camera and nulls to a Lightwave file, from which I can export to an FBX to take into Modo, I would like a more direct solution that doesn't involve Lightwave.

Not that I know. FBX export in C4D is atrocious, anyway. Many channels/ items need to be baked manually or require tricks to e.g. bake deformers. I filed several bugs on this during the modo 801 Beta...

6) Now about After Effects, the GPU information dialog recognizes my two graphics cards, but I wonder does AE take advantage of this in any way? I know that graphics cards don't share VRAM so two 4GB cards don't mean 8 GB of VRAM total, but I know that in theory, two cards that are the same specs render at twice the speed of one. So does AE render twice as fast with two graphics cards that are the same? And does Premiere do the same?

7) Related to the last question, my two cards are not connected in an SLI configuration because the only reason I have two cards is to render in Octane, which is not compatible with SLI. But if AE and/or Premiere take any advantage of this dual card setup, should I use the SLI connector?

It doesn't work this way. Using two cards often means duplicate, redundant data like local texture buffers, which, when all is said and done, can eat up almost any theoretical performance gain. That said, unless you use the 3D raytracer, AE is stuck at OpenGL 2.1, which doesn't support any advanced features, so it's pretty much irrelevant. Premiere could be a different story, but I rarely ever use it, so I can't say much about how well the latest OpenCL stuff actually may exploit dual cards. Ask in their forum.

Mylenium

• 3. Re: A couple of CC newbie questions on C4D lite
            nullsebasvideo Level 1

Mylenium wrote:

It doesn't work this way. Using two cards often means duplicate, redundant data like local texture buffers, which, when all is said and done, can eat up almost any theoretical performance gain. That said, unless you use the 3D raytracer, AE is stuck at OpenGL 2.1, which doesn't support any advanced features, so it's pretty much irrelevant.

Right, but with the proper software, two cards that are exactly the same configuration, render twice as fast. That at least is the case in Octane, and I know that's the case not just because the company told me, but because I made renders before and after installing the second card.

• 4. Re: A couple of CC newbie questions on C4D lite
              Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

Sure, there are ways to do this, but CUDA is different from OpenGL in that regard to begin with and OpenCL is yet another thing. Also pretty much all contemporary raytracers use bucketing and data segmentation, so the actual scene data is streamed rather than persistently stored on the cards...

Mylenium

• 5. Re: A couple of CC newbie questions on C4D lite
                nullsebasvideo Level 1

Mylenium wrote:

No. even the full C4D has no GPU rendering features.

I just realized, if you don't need raytracing in your 3D objects, Element 3D is still a better choice because it uses the GPU and it's really fast. Although it also has some anti-aliasing problems. But it can get you out of the way pretty fast for some things.

• 6. Re: A couple of CC newbie questions on C4D lite
                  nullsebasvideo Level 1

Mylenium wrote:

Not really. You can set the interactive render region to be that large, but C4D only uses the standard renderer for it, so it's going to be slow. That's really where C4D fails massively.

I just tried the interactive render region feature, and it's OK, but the render it shows is at a much lower quality. Is this because of that 800x600 restriction?