2 Replies Latest reply on Jun 28, 2014 6:44 AM by JimHess

Camera Raw Resolution

animationlife Level 1

Hello Everyone.

I shoot with Canon 5D, And By Default the Resolution of Raw Photos are:  240 dpi and the Image size Is 5616 By 3744

When I watch some Tutorials on Camera Raw, I noticed the Instructor Is using the same camera I have 5D, But The Resolution Of His Raw shots are 300 dpi  Inside the camera Raw.

I personally like to use my original  Image size without Up-Resing the original Resolution In Camera Raw, and Inside PhotoShop If I want to send my Image for the Print, Then I change the Resolution to 300, And Inside the Image size I Uncheck the Resample Box. What I am trying to understand Is, If you choose 300 Resolution Inside the Camera Raw, since the Image is a Raw Shot, Is It Ok,

Thanks.

• 1. Re: Camera Raw Resolution
          Yammer Level 4

The resolution you set in Camera Raw's workspace has no effect on the rendering of the converted image. It just attaches metadata to the image. The pixel dimensions of the image are unchanged.

All DPI (or PPI) does is tell an application the intended physical dimensions of a print or digital display.  E.G., a 1200pixel image should be rendered 4 inches long at 300dpi, and 6 inches long at 200dpi. Applications and their users are quite at liberty to change or ignore the DPI altogether, without any effect on the image.

• 2. Re: Camera Raw Resolution
            JimHess Adobe Community Professional & MVP

As an example, consider an image that is 4000 x 6000 pixels. If all you do is change the resolution setting, and leave everything else alone, the image is still 4000 x 6000 pixels regardless of what that resolution setting is. If you wanted a 4 x 6 print at 300 PPI, all you would need is an image that is 1200 pixels on the narrow side and 1800 pixels on the long side (1200/300 = 4 inches, 1800/300 equals 6 inches). The print would be printed at 300 PPI regardless of what that setting was in the file.