3 Replies Latest reply on Jun 28, 2014 10:07 AM by nullsebasvideo

Add filters to footage to enhance tracking detection?

nullsebasvideo Level 1

Pre-composing the footage to be tracked and adding some filters to it I've had more success in getting tracking points in the camera tracker. I can definitely see more tracking points when it finishes solving, but I have a video that is not solving well towards the end, and it's a part that doesn't seem too hard, in fact the new CC tracker has tracked another video that is far more complex perfectly well, so this should be a piece of cake for it.

Has anybody done this type of pre-tracking enhancement, and what filters do you use? I've used unsharp mask, along with brightness and contrast, and this is footage that was shot at a shutter speed of 1/2000 on purpose to make it easier to track, since each frame shows the details much better.

• 1. Re: Add filters to footage to enhance tracking detection?
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

Impossible to tell without seeing a screenshot. The overall number of features isn't actually that important for 3D tracking as long as there is a reasonable minimum number of them (from an idealized math POV, 7 points would be enough, but usually the sweet spot is about 15 to 20). It's more important how they are distributed across the frame to allow for stable vector calculations. if they are e.g. all on the floor with a very flat perspective, inevitably they would be merely a line of dots and no proper vertical up vector could be used to stabilize the rotation. Generally pre-processing is nothing to be ashamed about as long as those changes do not falsify the original data too much...

Mylenium

• 2. Re: Add filters to footage to enhance tracking detection?
            Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

The camera tracker needs fixed geometry in the scene and a change in perspective. Without that you cannot get a good track. If the scene is incredibly flat and you have no edges on any of the geometry Camera tracking is not going to work even with filters. IOW, you cannot Camera Track a shot like this:

huge-crowd.jpg

And you cannot track a shot on open water like this:

open-water-swimming-3.jpg

But you could Camera Track a shot like this if you don't include the cars:

LA-Downtown.jpg

• 3. Re: Add filters to footage to enhance tracking detection?
              nullsebasvideo Level 1

Thank you both for your replies. Well, to a certain extent this is a parallax issue because at first there is a lot of it, but when it loses the solve it's when I stop and pivot my body to the left. However, like I put in another thread, I have two shots that are actually far more difficult than that, where there's parallax forward, sideways, then a turn to the left, and it solved it like a king for both.

However, those were in my front yard, while this difficult shot is at the end of the driveway almost on the street. That's why I thought maybe this shot needs a little bit extra help to solve.