4 Replies Latest reply on Jun 28, 2014 12:05 PM by Blue Baron II

Is there a way in LR to tell what color space a photo is stored in?

Blue Baron II Level 1

I have a lot of 16 bit Tiff files in my Lightroom library.  I am looking for an easy way to determine what color space has been assigned to them.  The only way I know to find out is to open them in Photoshop.  Does Lightroom have a way to tell me?  That seems like a pretty basic capability for a high level photo software program like Lightroom, but I can't find it.  Does the Tiff file still have the original RGB numbers that the RAW file had, or have they been changed to suite the color space used?  If the original numbers are still there, then maybe the assigned color space does not matter, and I can change it if I want? I am Using Lightroom 5.5 on a windows 7 64 system.

• 1. Re: Is there a way in LR to tell what color space a photo is stored in?
          areohbee Level 5

In Lr5 - yes, well: sorta..

No display on right under Metadata, nor in lib filters, but smart collections have rule - see 'Color -> Source Color Profile'. Unfortunately, you need to know ahead of time what to look for, but still: it's better than nothing..

For example:

color_profile_smart_collection_example.gif

will round up all photos with Adobe RGB profile.

And you can have another with 'contains sRGB' ...

~R.

• 2. Re: Is there a way in LR to tell what color space a photo is stored in?
            Blue Baron II Level 1

Thanks.  That works with the caveat that you use "contains all" or else "Adobe RGB" will return anything with "RGB" in it.  I have now created a smart collection for "Adobe RGB", ProPhoto, and sRGB.  That totals 124 less than if I just look for "RGB", so I will have to figure out a way to find those 124 and figure out what kind of RGB they are.

• 3. Re: Is there a way in LR to tell what color space a photo is stored in?
              areohbee Level 5

Blue Baron II wrote:

Thanks.

You bet .

Blue Baron II wrote:

use "contains all" or else "Adobe RGB" will return anything with "RGB" in it.

Indeed, that's because of how Lr searching handles spaces. Alternatively, use 'contains Adobe' (or 'starts with Adobe'..) to round up all 'Adobe RGB' photos, thus avoiding space handling issues.

PS - let us know when you find out what those mystery profile are .

Rob

• 4. Re: Is there a way in LR to tell what color space a photo is stored in?
                Blue Baron II Level 1

I was able to isolate the 124 pictures and by opening one in Photoshop I found they were "Epson Standard RGB - Gamma 1.8".  I then did a search using the smart collection in LR for anything with Epson in it.  That turned up another 19 that turned out to be "Epson sRGB".  For some reason those 19 did not show up when I did a simple search for "RGB"  whereas everything else did.  They did not show up in a simple search for "sRGB" either.  I don't know why.  I have found that the regular Text filter is not always reliable either.  The Epson pictures were created using an Epson Scanner.  Now I know an easy way to find all my scanned originals.