17 Replies Latest reply on Jun 30, 2014 12:17 PM by A.T. Romano

elements 12 constantly crashes and or freezes

waitingforelementstowork

After restarting the program the start up stops at ExporterQuickTimeHost. The problem recently developed and any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

• 2. Re: elements 12 constantly crashes and or freezes
          A.T. Romano Level 7

waitingforelementstowork

Let us look for some Premiere Elements answers for your Premiere Elements issue.

Does the problem exist with and without the antivirus program and firewall completely disabled?

1. What computer operating system is your Premiere Elements 12 installed on? Is the program

installed to the default Local Disk C? Have you updated from Premiere Elements 12 to 12.1.

2. Do you have the latest version of QuickTime installed on your computer with Premiere Elements

3. Are you running your computer with a User Account with Administrative Privileges as well as using

Run As Administrator applied to the desktop Premiere Elements 12 icon?

4. Have you done a ccleaner run through (regular cleaner as well as registry cleaner parts).

CCleaner - PC Optimization and Cleaning - Free Download

Please review and consider and then let us know if any of the above worked for you.

Thank you.

ATR

• 3. Re: elements 12 constantly crashes and or freezes
            waitingforelementstowork Level 1

Thanks for the info, the program will now run for about 5 minutes and then freeze. It will work if I shut down and power back up and then five mins later it freezes again. Quick time is up to date.

the computer is

iMac Model: iMac13,1 Processor Name: Intel Core i7 Memory: 16 GB Ive got a 4t of memory in an external hard drive

I appreciate your help, any other ideas would be great

• 4. Re: elements 12 constantly crashes and or freezes
              A.T. Romano Level 7

waitingforelementstowork

It sounds like the 5 minutes run time from the start of the project to before the freeze represents an improvement? Does this mean that we

are beyond the ExporterQuickTimeHost issue?

If what you are reporting represents an improvement, then I would ask what are you importing and editing during the 5 minute period before the crash?

And, does the program consistently crash when you are doing the same specific editing and program action?

If you have Premiere Elements 12 Mac, have you deleted the Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs file which I believe has the following path in Mac computer...

Users/User Name/Library/Application Support/Adobe/Premiere Elements/12.0 and in the 12.0 Folder should be the Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs file that you delete. In Windows, the user needs to be working with Folder Option Show Hidden Files, Folders, and Drives active in order to see the path cited. I am not sure what the situation is on this Folder Option business when Mac computer is involved.

We will be watching for further developments in the morning.

Thanks for the follow ups.

ATR

• 5. Re: elements 12 constantly crashes and or freezes

Thanks for your help, I made no changes and all of a sudden it started working five mins at a time. When it freezes, I force quit and when I try and restart it stops loading at exporterquicktimehost. To get adobe to reload I shut the entire computer down and completely restart. Ive never had this problem before, the documentaries I am working on are no different then before. I did see and the program is currently 12.0. I tried locations 12.1 update for Mac but am having difficulty. Could the update be the answer? If so how can I download it, it's not in the app store. Thanks for your help

• 6. Re: elements 12 constantly crashes and or freezes
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

waitingforelementstowork

Where did you purchase your Premiere Elements 12 Mac - from Adobe or the Mac App Store? I was not aware that the Mac App Store was marketing an Adobe Premiere Elements 12 Editor after its problematic Adobe Premiere Elements 11 Editor. I ask this since you asked about getting the Premiere Elements 12 Mac update from Mac App Store.

The only way to go from Premiere Elements 12 to the 12.1 Update is to go to an opened Premiere Elements 12 project workspace Help Menu/Update. There is no online download for this 12.1 Update as was done by Adobe in the cases of 3.0/3.0.2, 8.0/8.0.1, 9.0/9.0.1.

Now that you have the program opened to a project, before it has time to crash, check out the Scratch Disk locations and how much free hard drive space for each. See Edit Menu/Preferences/Scratch Disks. I am assuming that exists as in the Premiere Elements 12 Windows. Also, do the deletion of the Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs file as described in post 4.

We will be watching the results.

Thanks.

ATR

• 7. Re: elements 12 constantly crashes and or freezes

I located the update, the program loaded to 37 percent and then asks for the ElementsAutoAnalyzer to close to continue. I have opened up the task manager on the mac and there is no ElementsAutoAnalyzer. Any idea how I could shut off the  ElementsAutoAnalyzer so that the update could continue?

I purchased the program from adobe as a download.

Thanks!

• 8. Re: elements 12 constantly crashes and or freezes
                      A.T. Romano Level 7

waitingforelementstowork

Let us try two approaches

From my Windows perspective

If the Elements Auto Analzyer were open, I would have expected you to see "Elements Auto Analzyer.exe" represented there for you to right click and select End Process. However.....Barbara Brundage gives us the route via the Activities Monitor in her blog - Please see Mac Section toward bottom of the blog article.

The Elements 12 Auto Analyzer–Adobe’s Evil Undead | Barbara's Sort-of-Tech Blog

Also, you might be able meet this Update request by opening the Elements Organizer and going to its Edit Menu/Preferences/Media Analysis and disabling all the options under the Media Analysis category.

Please let us know if the worked for you.

Thank you.

ATR

• 9. Re: elements 12 constantly crashes and or freezes

The upgrade worked, the program still crashes however it can go as long as 20 mins before doing so, (this is an improvement) the  new issue is that when i try to publish a finished product the saving stops at 60% with 5 seconds to go.

It would publish before and now it won't let me. Any ideas?

Thanks for your time

• 10. Re: elements 12 constantly crashes and or freezes
                          A.T. Romano Level 7

waitingforelementstowork

At this stage, what is your project preset, what are the properties of the source media, what is the duration of the Timeline at that 20 minutes mark? Have you applied titles, transitions, effects to what is within the 20 minutes content?

What are the details for the Publish+Share

....burn to disc (if so, what does the burn dialog quality area show for Space Required and Bitrate just before you hit the Burn button)

....burn to file (if so, what does the export dialog give for estimated file size and the actual duration?)

On the export side, let us focus on the details for what you have described  for

when i try to publish a finished product the saving stops at 60% with 5 seconds to go.

Thanks.

ATR

• 11. Re: elements 12 constantly crashes and or freezes

The project has pictures and videos. I am saving the project to the computer as a MPEG. The video is 12 minutes long. The projects saved last night but now will not. I just tried again and elements froze at 70% with 5 seconds to go. On a side note do you work for adobe or are you a kind member of the community?

• 12. Re: elements 12 constantly crashes and or freezes
                              A.T. Romano Level 7

waitingforelementstowork

I am not affiliated with Adobe in any way. Just user to user, and this user with an overactive troubleshooting gene.

Since we still to be improving, let us dig into the details.

1. You have a 12 minute video. Can you put together the properties information on that video

Video compression, audio compression, frame size, frame rate, interlaced or progressive, file extension, and pixel

aspect ratio?

2. What project preset have you or the project set as the project preset to match those video properties?

See Edit Menu/Project Settings/General and the readings for Editing Mode/Timebase/Frame Size/Pixel Aspect Ratio

(even if the fields look grayed out).

3. For your MPEG export, what are your choice?

Publish+Share

Computer

MPEG

and then what preset? Are you using the default settings or customizing the export settings under the Advanced

Button/Video Tab and Audio Tab?

4. Depending on how things progress or not, do a mini test run where you replace the video with a bunch of

jpeg photos.  What are the pixel dimensions of the photos that you are using now?

More later.

Thanks.

ATR

• 13. Re: elements 12 constantly crashes and or freezes

Its the strangest thing. Before i downloaded the update it would last for 5 mins and crash but I could still publish. Now after the upgrade, I can edit for much longer, but cannot publish. I have tried a number of different approaches and sometimes it will publish up to 92% or 23% or 3%. I don't want to stop using adobe but this is getting a bit much. Any ideas? Does adobe have a customer help number? I feel bad that I'm taking up your time.

Thanks

• 14. Re: elements 12 constantly crashes and or freezes

Would you suggest reinstalling the program? Or does this seem beyond a reinstall?

• 15. Re: elements 12 constantly crashes and or freezes
                                    A.T. Romano Level 7

waitingforelementstowork

You could give one more try at the uninstall, ccleaner run through (regular cleaner and registry cleaner parts), reinstall with the antivirus and firewall turned off.

And if necessary after that, I would follow that immediately with the deletion of the Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs file.

Depending on the results, you may want to weigh the merits of doing this from a new User Account with Administrative Privileges to rule in or out that your User Account has become corrupted.

It may be a good idea to see what Adobe via its Adobe Chat has to say about all this. That does not prohibit us from discussing the issue further if indicated.

Click on the following link. The goal is to reach Adobe Chat to discuss "Downloading, Installing, and Setting Up". The Adobe Chat format has changed. I will try to set for the page you need, but you may end up having to navigate to the following to select the Chat choice.

Contact Customer Care

You want to get to a page that looks like

Chat.JPG

and click on Chat. One of the advantage of Adobe Chat is that, if it decides necessary, it can take remote control over your computer

for the troubleshooting.

Please update us on your progress.

Thanks.

ATR

• 16. Re: elements 12 constantly crashes and or freezes

Thanks, I used the link but the Chat option is not there. In addition to this, elements will no longer load and will not open my project. I like the idea of adobe chat if only I could find it.

• 17. Re: elements 12 constantly crashes and or freezes
                                        A.T. Romano Level 7

waitingforelementstowork

I just now tried the link that I posted for you to use to reach Adobe via Adobe Chat. It opened to the page displayed in the screenshot in post 15. All you had to do was to click on the panel that displayed Chat with 24 hours a day, 7 days a week caption.

When you clicked on the link that I posted, what did you see?

What is the default computer browser that you are using?

We will be watching for further details that will help us figure out why you are not seeing the Adobe Chat as described.

Thanks.

ATR