4 Replies Latest reply on Jul 5, 2006 7:56 PM by Rothrock

MovieClip pipeline order

Sorry,_that...
      hi,
      i`ve beeing having problems with pipeline order of movieclip actions, like enterframe, onMouseMove.
      I would like to sort the pipeline but i can`t find where.
      I`ve already changed depths but it dosen`t change witch movieclip enterframe goes first.
      if anyone know anything about it please help me.
      Thanks
        • 1. Re: MovieClip pipeline order
          Rothrock Level 5
          Not really sure what "pipeline" order is, but if you mean the order of code execution, there is really very little you can do about it.

I believe I once saw some post and maybe a tutorial or two about how Flash determines the order and stacking can have an effect as well as the order of layers.

As far as I know there are no preemptive type commands to ensure something is done first. And considering that folks have made all kinds of amazing Flash things without that and adding on that this is an almost never asked question here, I'm guessing that what you are trying to do can be done in a different way to avoid the problem.

So what are you trying to do?
          • 2. Re: MovieClip pipeline order
            Rothrock Level 5
            PS: It isn't that you actually expect onEnterFrame to be done upon entering the frame, is it? That is actually a poorly named event and it just happens at the framerate, but not necessarily upon entering the frame.
            • 3. Re: MovieClip pipeline order
              Sorry,_that... Level 1
              lets see the problem this way.
              i create two movieclips with actionscript
              and create onenterframe function for those both movieclips.
              there is an order that flash will execute, one enterframe before other.
              if you trace them you will see how the order goes.
              my problem is that i want to control that other by script.
              the both movieclips are in the same layer and same frame.
              • 4. Re: MovieClip pipeline order
                Rothrock Level 5
                Yeah, but you can't do it. You may be able to very carefully create things in certain orders and apply events with great cleverness, but it will be very hit and miss. Since there isn't anything built in to do this, there isn't really anything to be gained by trying.

But WHY do you want to control the order? WHAT are you trying to accomplish? There is probably another way.