11 Replies Latest reply on Jun 30, 2014 12:42 PM by Cabbagepatchkid

Can't get rid of unwanted square on video

Cabbagepatchkid Level 1

I need help removing a lined border from around my video. I'm not sure how it got there any tips are most welcome

• 1. Re: Can't get rid of unwanted square on video
          John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

That would SEEM to indicate you do not have a project setting that matches your video

From the Premiere Elements Information FAQ http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1042180

•What version of Premiere Elements? Include the minor version number (e.g., Premiere Elements 12 with the 12.0.1 update).

•What operating system? This should include specific minor version numbers, like "Mac OSX v10.6.8"---not just "Mac"

•Has this ever worked before?  If so, do you recall any changes you made to Premiere Elements, such as adding Plug-ins, brushes, etc.?  Did you make any changes to your system, such as updating hardware, printers or drivers; or installing/uninstalling any programs?

•Are you using an account with Administrator Privileges?

Run as Administrator http://forums.adobe.com/thread/969395 (Encore + "All" Premiere)

•Have you installed any recent program or OS updates? (If not, you should. They fix a lot of problems.)

•What kind(s) of image file(s)? When talking about camera raw files, include the model of camera.

•If you are getting error message(s), what is the full text of the error message(s)?

•What were you doing when the problem occurred?

•What other software are you running?

•Tell us about your computer hardware. How much RAM is installed?  How much free space is on your system (C:) drive?

And some other questions...

•What are you editing, and does your video have a red line over it BEFORE you do any work?

•Which version of Quicktime do you have installed?

•Have you viewed the tutorial links at http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1275830 page to help learn the program?

• 2. Re: Can't get rid of unwanted square on video
            Cabbagepatchkid Level 1

Wow!! You gave me a lot of great questions that I need to answer to help alleviate this little situation.  I will answer them the best I can and will get back to you.  Thanks for your help!!!!!

• 3. Re: Can't get rid of unwanted square on video
              A.T. Romano Level 7

cabbagepatchkid

Could you please post a screenshot of what you are seeing?

Please state what version of Premiere Elements you are using and on what computer operating system it is running.

From your mention, we could be dealing with

1. A flaw in the video.

2. Safety Margins in the Edit area monitor

3. Black borders around the Edit area monitor view because your project preset is not correct.

So lots more information needed. If this is a Safety Margins matter, right click the Edit area monitor and click on Safety Margins.

The Safety Margins will disappear. If you repeat the process, the Safety Margins will reappear. The inner rectangle is for text, the

outer for action. It is related to TV Overscan. More details if that turns out to be what you are asking about.

If that is not it, the more questions about

1. Project Preset

2. Source Media Properties

More later.

Thanks.

ATR

• 4. Re: Can't get rid of unwanted square on video
                Cabbagepatchkid Level 1

Premiere Elements 12

OS 10.6.8

more to come...

• 5. Re: Can't get rid of unwanted square on video
                  Cabbagepatchkid Level 1

OMG !!!! I feel so embarassed!!! You were correct I took your advice and it was the safety margins.

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANKYOU!!!

• 6. Re: Can't get rid of unwanted square on video
                    A.T. Romano Level 7

Cabbagepatchkid

Great news.

As a supplement, please refer to the Adobe document on Safety Margins (applies to 12 as well)

http://help.adobe.com/en_US/premiereelements/using/WS431B4CBE-9934-45e2-91BE-6BA313827411. html

Please do not hesitate to ask questions. All questions (small or large) are important if you do not have the answer.

So, I thank you for your question, am glad for the opportunity to have been of assistance, and thank you again for posting

your results which will be useful to those in a similar situation.

Best wishes

ATR

• 7. Re: Can't get rid of unwanted square on video
                      Cabbagepatchkid Level 1

Thank you! I have another question for you.  I have already added video to a timeline and now want to add another video in front of that but it automatically tells me to add the file to the end of my movie.  My question is how do I put a video file in front of another video file?

Thank you

Liz

• 8. Re: Can't get rid of unwanted square on video
                        A.T. Romano Level 7

Liz

I would need further details. Where are you in your project when you get the message about the automatic message about "...add file to end of my movie"?

In your Premiere Elements 12 Mac, are you working in the Expert, Quick, Guided Expert, or Guided Quick workspace? If one of the Guided choices, please let us know what lesson you are following?

Generalizing....

a. Import your video into the project with Add Media/Files and Folders/Project Assets.

b. Assuming that you had a video clip already on the Expert workspace Timeline, hold down the Mac Option key as you use the mouse cursor to drag the video from project assets the right edge of the clip that is already there and down. Release the mouse click.

(I am strictly an Elements Windows user, so I am translating the Windows Alt to Mac Option. Does Mac Option work?)

We will be watching for further details and results.

Thank you.

ATR

• 9. Re: Can't get rid of unwanted square on video
                          Cabbagepatchkid Level 1

I figured out where I was going wrong.  I am going to use the links that you posted as a resource.  Thank you for your response.

Liz

• 10. Re: Can't get rid of unwanted square on video
                            A.T. Romano Level 7

Liz

Thanks for the good news that all is OK. Great job.

Please let us know if you need any further assistance with this or any of your Premiere Elements workflows.

ATR

• 11. Re: Can't get rid of unwanted square on video
                              Cabbagepatchkid Level 1

This is my first time ever working with anything like this so to say I am a novice is an understatement.  I do appreciate your willingness to help and will utilize your expertise whenever I have a hiccup.

Much Thanks,

Liz