3 Replies Latest reply on Jun 30, 2014 11:48 AM by nullsebasvideo

Shadow catcher inside C4D Lite?

nullsebasvideo Level 1

I've been searching for this for over an hour and all I find are things related to shadows, but not what I need, a simple shadow catcher inside C4D Lite. Does anybody know how to setup one? Let's suppose you want to do the same thing you would do in a raytracing scene inside After Effects, setup text, lights and a shadow catcher, but you want to do it in C4D Lite instead. I have a plane that receives the shadows from the two lights I setup in C4D, but I don't see a way to make that plane a shadow catcher. Making it transparent doesn't it. Anybody knows how? All I found was something about a plugin that when I went to get it it was from 2008, so I didn't even bother with it.

Thanks

• 1. Re: Shadow catcher inside C4D Lite?
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

You use the compositing tag for this. It has a respective option. Otherwise you can always use multipass rendering with a shadow poass and a suitable object ID pass of course...

Mylenium

• 2. Re: Shadow catcher inside C4D Lite?
            nullsebasvideo Level 1

Mylenium wrote:

You use the compositing tag for this. It has a respective option. Otherwise you can always use multipass rendering with a shadow poass and a suitable object ID pass of course...

Thanks Mylenium. I added the compositing tag to the plane, and I see some shadow options, however none of the options I tried renders the shadows only. Either it disappears completely, or it renders the shadows but also the plane. I also put a compositing tag on the Extrude Nurbs that is the parent to the text just in case, but it didn't make a difference. Were you talking about a certain combination of options? Or just one option, like "Receive shadows only" or "Shadow catcher". If that's the case, they're not there.

I tried multipass rendering, but the problem is that I had to do two separate c4d scenes for that, one that has only the shadows, and another that has the extruded text without the plane. It kind of worked, but it has the disadvantage that if I have to change anything like the size of the text, I have to do it in two scenes.

Thanks again

• 3. Re: Shadow catcher inside C4D Lite?
              nullsebasvideo Level 1

I found a video that explains how to do it inside C4D: Cinema 4D Multi-Pass Tutorial and Shadow Catching on Vimeo It's in the first 4 minutes or so.