11 Replies Latest reply on Aug 20, 2014 4:56 PM by A.T. Romano

Bad quality when uploaded to youtube?

divinejoy916

I have adobe premiere elements 12 to make youtube videos. I uploaded the first video and that one had a black border 1440 X 1080 HD, and then I tried a second video HD 1920 X  1080 which didn't have a black border but the quality was terrible. I am new to editing and filming, how do I get the quality to be as good as it is in the editor when uploaded to youtube?

• 1. Re: Bad quality when uploaded to youtube?
          A.T. Romano Level 7

divinejoy916

What computer operating system is your Premiere Elements 12 running on? And, have you gone from 12 to 12.1 with the opened project's Help Menu/Update?

The answers will be in the details. Offer the details, and we will be glad to suggest the best possible settings for your project.

a. What are the properties of your source media? Please indicate if any Timeline video source uses a progressive or interlaced frame rate.

b. What is the project preset that you or the program has established? Please see Edit Menu/Project Settings/General and the readings for Editing Mode, Timebase, Frame Size, and Pixel Aspect Ratio even if the fields look grayed out.

c. What is the file size and duration of what you are uploading to YouTube? And, how are you doing this...

.....Your Timeline to Publish+Share/Social Websites/YouTube using the HD presets

....Exporting your Timeline to a file saved to the computer hard drive and from there uploaded to YouTube at the YouTube web site.

We will be watching for your follow up.

Thank you.

ATR

• 2. Re: Bad quality when uploaded to youtube?
            divinejoy916 Level 1

Like I said, I'm completely new to the whole editing film world, and don't really know the answers to your questions, but I'll try to answer them!

I literally just bought this laptop last night, its a Toshiba Windows 8. I don't think Im on 12.1, I just installed adobe premiere last night, and it doesn't say anywhere 12.1.

a. My source media is from an HD camcorder, Im not sure if thats what you mean. I don't know what progressive or interlaced frame rate means or how to tell which one I have.

b. editing mode: DSLR, Timebase: 29.97 frames/sec. Frame Size: 1920 x 1080. Pixel aspect ratio: Square pixels (1.0)

c. file size: 222.16 mb9mins 52 sec

Im publish sharing using the HD presets.

Im so sorry I have a lot to learn! Thanks

• 3. Re: Bad quality when uploaded to youtube?
              A.T. Romano Level 7

divinejoy916

We will do just fine. And, I am not seeing any problems exchanging information to get the core of your Premiere Elements YouTube problems. I will write as clearly as possible. If there is something that you do not understand, I will rewrite.

Computer

You did a great job with the install of the program. If you did not open a new project and go to the workspace and Help Menu/Update, then you are still working with the 12 version. To go from 12 to 12.1 Update, then use that Help Menu/Update. If you are interested in Text Styles, that 12.1 Update has resolved an issue with Text Styles in the Expert workspace.

Project Preset

The program is designed to set the project preset automatically to match the properties of your source media. The setting of the project preset directs the program to set up the correct space in the Edit area monitor for editing. Sometimes the program does it right, sometimes not. If not, then you set the project preset manually to match the properties of what you know the source media to be. Some background information on that

ATR Premiere Elements Troubleshooting: PE11: Accuracy of Automatic Project Preset (New Project Dialog) Setting.

The first thing we need to know is what we are starting with as your video source for the project. We probably can get all the information that we need to know about properties of the source media from the brand/model/settings for the camera that recorded that Timeline video. Do you have other than video on that Timeline, like jpeg photos? By video properties, I mean video compression, audio compression, frame size, frame rate, interlaced or progressive (1080i or 1080p), and pixel aspect ratio.

Once we know that we can cross catch with the project preset and react accordingly. From what you wrote, your project is set for the default NTSC AVCHD Full HD1080i30 which may or may not be correct for your video source.

Export

You wrote

Im publish sharing using the HD presets.

Still not sure what you are doing with the export, and that is important to be able to trace down to the cause of the issue. You can upload your Timeline content to YouTube two ways for your 2 minutes and 52 second Timeline

a. Publish+Share/Social Websites/YouTube with Presets = High Definition for YouTube 1920 x 1080 - the uploading of the Timeline is done from within the program using your YouTube account that you set up. (Keep away from the 1440 x 1080 choice.)

or

b. Publish+Share/Computer/AVCHD with Presets = MP4 - H.264 1920 x 1080p30. Here you export to an AVCHD.mp4 file saved to the computer hard drive and then upload that AVCHD.mp4 file to YouTube at the YouTube web site.

Which one of those two are you doing?

Please let me know if you are OK with the above. If not, please tell me what I need to clarify further.

Summary

First let us target getting the properties of your source video for this project one way or other.

Thanks.

ATR

• 4. Re: Bad quality when uploaded to youtube?
                divinejoy916 Level 1

No I don't have any jpeg photos on my timeline. My camera is canon vixia hf r500. it says progressive 1920 x 1080 recording, mp4 60p/35 bps

I did a. publish share social websites youtube

• 5. Re: Bad quality when uploaded to youtube?
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

divinejoy916

Thanks for the very helpful information supplied in your post numbered 4.

Open Premiere Elements 12 to the Expert workspace. Download and install the 12.1 Update from Help Menu/Update.

Then in the Expert workspace, go to File Menu/New/Project and Change Settings. In the Change Settings area, go to and

select

NTSC

AVCHD

AVCHD 1080p60

Before you leave this area, in the new project dialog, make sure to have a check mark next to "Force Selected

Project Setting on this Project".

Now back in the Expert workspace, import your source 1080p60 file into the program with the program's Add Media/Files and Folders/Project

Assets. Drag the file from Project Assets to the Timeline.

We are going to compare the quality of that Timeline uploaded to YouTube in two different ways

a. Publish+Share/Social Websites/YouTube, using the preset = High Definition for YouTube 1920 x 1080.

(Keep in mind that this is a non customizable preset...the frame rate is 29.97 interlaced frames per second).

and

b. Publish+Share/Computer/AVCHD with preset = MPEG4 H.264 1920 x 1080p30

Then click on the Advanced Button/Video Tab and customize the Export Settings so that you will be exporting a 1080p60 instead of 1080p30

The Expert Settings under Advanced Button/Video Tab should appear as seen in the following screenshot.

p60.JPG

Everything else leave as is for now.

This file is saved to the computer hard drive from where it is uploaded to YouTube at the YouTube web site

as the 1080p60.

Then let us know if there is any quality improvement in the video viewed at YouTube, depending on whether

a 1080p30 or 1080p60 file was uploaded to it.

We will be looking for your results.

Thanks.

ATR

• 6. Re: Bad quality when uploaded to youtube?
                    divinejoy916 Level 1

Ok so I did the option where I saved it to the computer with the MPEG4 1920 X 1080x30 and the quality was much better than the publish share to youtube option thanks!

• 7. Re: Bad quality when uploaded to youtube?
                      A.T. Romano Level 7

divinejoy916

Thank you for the update on your progress. That was great news regarding your successful upload of your video to YouTube. You did a good job sorting through the troubleshooting details. Thank you for considering them.

Please let us know if we can be of assistance with any of your Premiere Elements workflows. Glad for the opportunity to do that.

Best wishes.

ATR

• 8. Re: Bad quality when uploaded to youtube?
                        divinejoy916 Level 1

Yes thank you so much you were very helpful! OK now I have a problem with the narration. I sped up my video with time remapping, then took out the audio from the video. Then I tried to do a narration, and when I talked my voice echoed, so I pressed the mute audio checkmark, and it still echoed a little so I turned the bar down really low. Then I recorded it like that, and when I played it back I could hear myself perfectly without any echoing. But when I uploaded the video to youtube, you couldn't really hear anything, even when volume at maximum. How do I get my already recordered narration to be louder on youtube? Or do I have to rerecord my voice with different settings? Thanks!

• 9. Re: Bad quality when uploaded to youtube?
                          A.T. Romano Level 7

divinejoy916

Thanks for the update.

I see no option but to re-record with the appropriate volume setting for the narration.

Be very careful with narration created by the Narration Tool in Premiere Elements 12. There is a mini epidemic going around wherein users are

losing sound from numbered audio tracks and soundtrack after narration is added to the project from the program's Narration Tool.

From what you described, you set the recording volume too low.

Were you holding your microphone far enough away from your mouth to avoid narration irregularities? What type of a microphone are you using for recording the narration using the Narration Tool?

When you are ready to do your narration, first go to Window Menu/Audio Meters, and set Audio Meters. Place the Audio Meter that opens to the right of the screen so that you can watch it as you record (...this is in addition to setting the Mic Sensitivity in the Narration dialog). Once you start the narration, make sure that the activity in the Audio Meter channels does not exceed 0 dB at the top and does not fall to the bottom of the channels in the audio meter.

We will be watching for your progress.

Thank you.

ATR

• 10. Re: Bad quality when uploaded to youtube?
                            divinejoy916 Level 1

The Microphone is on my laptop. Whenever I try to record, no matter how close or far away  I get from the mic, I can still hear my voice echoing, even if I check of the mute box.

• 11. Re: Bad quality when uploaded to youtube?
                              A.T. Romano Level 7

divinejoy916

Thanks for the reply.

When you hear your voice echoing, what is happening on the Audio Meter that you have opened (Window Menu/Audio Meters)? Is the activities in the channel hitting the top or staying in the area from 0 dB and downward?

ATR