6 Replies Latest reply on Jul 1, 2014 4:34 PM by Brooke May

Adding a transparent box under an image

Brooke May

I have placed an image into InDesign. I would like to add a transparent box underneath the image that is the same size. I want to export the file as a jpeg and insert this in to an email. The reason for the transparent part is because I have text on the right hand side of my email and this will prevent it wrapping around the photo ( it is a particular email program called Vision 6).

I am not very familiar with Photoshop so if there is a way of doing it in InDesign that would be good.

Thanks!

• 1. Re: Adding a transparent box under an image
          rajsre Adobe Employee

You need a box underneath the image, exactly of the same size?

1. Copy the frame, do Edit > Paste in place

2. Delete content of pasted frame if you don't want it, do other fill/transparency settings you need on the frame

3. With the new frame selected, select Object > Arrange > send to back

OR:

1. Copy the frame

2. Go to the Layers panel, add a Layer

3. With the newly added layer selected, do Edit > Paste In Place

5. Delete the content of pasted frame if you don't want it, do other fill/transparency settings you need on the frame

6. Now drag the newly added layer below the first layer to send the new frame to the back of image

• 2. Re: Adding a transparent box under an image
            Willi Adelberger Most Valuable Participant

It makes no difference when you export a transparent or a whit box to jpg, because it does not support transparency anyway.

I suppose you will export the page as jpg, so you should set up the page to the proper size. You can use the page tool and hold down the alt key when you resize the page and export this page as jpg. White parts of the page will become white parts on the exported jpg. But no transparency. For transparency you have to choose file types which are supporting transparency like pdf, png32, and similar.

• 3. Re: Adding a transparent box under an image
              Brooke May Level 1

Thanks for that. If I export as a pdf or png32 with transparency, can I then convert that version to a jpg and keep the transparency or will it go to white?

• 4. Re: Adding a transparent box under an image
                Willi Adelberger Most Valuable Participant

As I have written above: JPG does not support transparency in any way. It is a flat file type.

• Why do you need transparency here?
                • If you need transparency, why are you not using PNG?

I know, PDF is not supported as image file type in most mail browsers, so it is not a choice.

• 5. Re: Adding a transparent box under an image
                  Laubender Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Can you post a screenshot of your "image" placed on the page in InDesign? So that we could understand more clearly what you want to do. Use the camera tool here in the forum to insert it into your post:

HowToInsertScreenShot.png

You could export to PDF from InDesign. Open the PDF in PhotoShop to your prefered pixel resolution and color space (RGB I presume). Check, if transparency is there. Then use the feature "Save to Web" in PhotoShop. There you can make various adjustments and chose file types, also PNG with transparancy and other controls to change file size.

E.g. PNG 8, selective colors (maybe 128) with diffusion dithering and transparency. Experiment with quality and file size there until you reach your self set file size limit. JPEG will NOT support transparency (as Willi already made clear!). Test, if Vision 6 will support this kind of image type.

Uwe

• 6. Re: Adding a transparent box under an image
                    Brooke May Level 1

Thanks for your advice. I will see if Vision 6 supports PNG files and go from there.