5 Replies Latest reply on Jul 1, 2014 1:52 PM by RzzB

Confused about "Create Saved Print"

RzzB Level 1

I’m very confused about what is being created when I click on “Create Saved Print”.

It doesn't seem to create a saved print, it seems to create a collection. But it doesn't seem to be a real collection… it doesn't for example appear in the list of collections in the “location/inside” drop down of the Create Print dialogue box.

What I was expecting and hoping for was that it would save the current image with all the layout/template settings in force at the time, so that I could return to that “saved print” in the future. But that doesn't seem to be the case.

I have watched a number of tutorials, read books, including Jeff Schewe’s but I’m still confused.

Two questions –

1.How do I save an image with all the print settings so that I can come back to it in the future.

2.What is the thinking behind making a “Saved Print” a collection – why not just use a normal collection?

Thanks,

Roy

• 1. Re: Confused about "Create Saved Print"
          dj_paige Level 9

1. I think "Create Saved Print" is what you want, it seems to work properly for me, I get a collection inside the desired Collection Set

2. I'll guess: the purpose is to allow you to come back to this grouping of photos at a later time, with all the settings you chose

• 2. Re: Confused about "Create Saved Print"
            RzzB Level 1

dj Many thanks for your response.

1. I don't understand. You sort of say.... you click on "Create Saved Print" and you get a collection inside the desired collection set.... This is exactly what I don't understand... I just cant reconcile the words "Create Saved Print" with creating a collection. I don't want a collection I want a Saved Print - if I wanted a Collection I would have created a collection.

2. "grouping of photos"... I don't understand - I'm trying to Create Saved Print - what "grouping"? What has a grouping of photos got to do with a Saved Print?

I am obviously missing something really basic and don't have the correct model in my brain .... really struggling with this. Sorry if I'm being an idiot!

Roy

• 3. Re: Confused about "Create Saved Print"
              JimHess Adobe Community Professional & MVP

That feature is available in case you want to group your prints by subject, or size, or year, or whatever. If you don't want your saved print in a collection then just uncheck the "Inside" checkbox. Then that print should display underneath your smart collections in the print module.

• 4. Re: Confused about "Create Saved Print"
                dj_paige Level 9

In your first message, you said

What I was expecting and hoping for was that it would save the current image with all the layout/template settings in force at the time, so that I could return to that “saved print” in the future.

This is exactly what "Create Saved Print" does. If you go back to the collection that is created at a later time, all of your Print Module settings are preserved, and it also remembers what photo(s) were selected at the time you select "Create Saved Print"

• 5. Re: Confused about "Create Saved Print"
                  RzzB Level 1

Hmm...  it doesn't seem to be consistent for me.

I have saved prints with a particular template and when I come back to them later the template is not highlighted. This makes me wonder if the settings are as before. Perhaps they are and the template is just not highlighted.

So, what I'm understanding from all this is that when I click on "Create Save Print", I am actually creating a special Collection that saves all the print settings in force at that time.

Do I take it that if I add an image to that collection it will apply all those settings to that image? Is that one of the benefits?

Hmm - but that's very similar to saving all the settings using a Template isn't it - saving a template saves all the settings in force when it's created.

One question - is there a way to update the settings in the collection once saved? Just in case I get something wrong and want to make a small tweak?

I need to reset my thinking on all this... maybe it's just a terminology thing for me.

Perhaps, if rather than "Create Saved Print" it said "Create Saved Print Settings Collection" I might not be having so much trouble! :-)

The way I have been using it so far for example is (simplified) ....

Create a Collection (a normal collection) --- "Exhibition XYZ"

I already have a number of standard settings saved as Templates.

Set up print module settings for first image (a black cat)

Create a Print using that image in the Exhibition XYZ collection - call it "The Black Cat"

Set up print module settings for second image (a green dog)

Create a Print using that image in the Exhibition XYZ collection - call it "The Green Dog"

etc etc...

if two images need the same settings I use a Template...

In fact, each of the images will have a template applied to it.

Anyway - dj and Jim - many thanks for your help and patience!

Roy