6 Replies Latest reply on Jun 29, 2017 6:47 AM by tomlamers

Finder in OSX Mavericks Won't Find InDesign Documents

fossg

I recently "upgraded" to OSX Mavericks and the finder won't show InDesign documents in searches. This is very frustrating! Does anyone else have this problem? Is there a way to fix it?

Thanks

• 1. Re: Finder in OSX Mavericks Won't Find InDesign Documents
          Steve Werner Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I have no such problem with a search in the Open dialog in Mavericks. However, others have encountered this problem.

No solution has been posted here. I'd try asking on the Apple Support Community since I think it's a Mac OS X problem: www.apple.com.

• 2. Re: Finder in OSX Mavericks Won't Find InDesign Documents
            Sandee Cohen Adobe Community Professional

I hadn't tried it on my Mavericks machine. But reading your message I realize I have the problem.

But it's limited to just the Search field used within an ID Open dialog box.

If I switch to the Finder and use the Search field to look for a specific file name, I can find that file easily.

I can also find it using the (for me) worthless Spotlight find feature.

I looked on the Apple support forum and couldn't find any mention of this.

I would file a bug report. The fact that it is limited to only the Adobe dialog box, may make it Adobe's responsibility to fix.

Oh, and one more thing, the same field works fine in Illustrator.

That really points to an Adobe InDesign problem. (in my opinion)

• 3. Re: Finder in OSX Mavericks Won't Find InDesign Documents
              fossg Level 1

Steve and Sandee, Thank you both for the quick and detailed responses.

Sandee, when I search in Finder, even when selecting the Name option from the Arrange menu, the only option I have is what I believe you refer to as the Search field. See below:

Screen Shot 2014-06-30 at 10.52.58 AM.png

and it still won't turn up InDesign documents. Am I doing something wrong? Sorry if this question seems obvious.

• 4. Re: Finder in OSX Mavericks Won't Find InDesign Documents
                Sandee Cohen Adobe Community Professional

Fossg,

Here is what I'm doing:

I start with a Finder window. Notice there is a file called "Me Paris Island.indd" I know the file exists. Now, let's see what would happen if I didn't know where it is.

Search 1.png

I click in the Search field in that Finder window. I start typing the name Paris. Notice the choices I'm getting underneath (1), Notice also, that the Finder window has changed to "Searching 'This Mac'". And all the folders with the word Paris show up. I could switch from This Mac to my user folder, "sandeecohen" which is where I started. But I don't know how to switch to other folders than these two listing. Oh well, never mind. Let's continue the way it is.

Search 2.png

Now, at this point I might think that the Finder can't find the ID file. Especially if the Finder window is not tall. Or I might be thrown by the listing of Images and PDF Documents.The ID file isn't listed. But if I scroll down, I find Documents at the very bottom of the window. And there is the Me Paris Island.indd file.

If you do the same steps, and can't find your ID documents, then something is wrong with your Finder.

Search 4.png

• 5. Re: Finder in OSX Mavericks Won't Find InDesign Documents
                  pmich88

Type ".indd" r the name of your file in the search box. Then, make sure that "This Mac"is selected, If not, just click on it. FIND FILE.pngFor some reason, it won't show in "All my files"

• 6. Re: Finder in OSX Mavericks Won't Find InDesign Documents
                    tomlamers

This problem with opening and placing .indd files still exists, 3 years later. Even impossible to place .indd files into an open Indesign document. I have to go to the Finder, search and find it there, and then drop it onto the file in which I want it to be placed.