2 Replies Latest reply on Jul 4, 2006 10:34 AM by Newsgroup_User

help creating keyboard-only interface

wischoen
      hello, I am new to director and creating an interactive presentation using only a set of buttons as a user interface. I have set up the keypad to register button presses as keyboard strokes (the arrows). users would navigate the presentation by using the arrow keys to select the destination, then the space to 'go'. (go to frame X)

this navigation system seems simple enough.

But compared to a mouse-based navigation system, it seems like director is leaving me in the dark. I could have written this navigation system in JAVA and still have about the same amount of code.

Am I missing something? is there a simple way to make keyboard-based navigation system in director?
        • 1. Re: help creating keyboard-only interface
          Level 7
          Director is geared for graphical user interfaces, the latest director
          includes ccessability interface support which should be one avenue for
          handling keyboard commands.

For a simple case I would blace an editable text sprite on stage but out
          of sight with an on keydown handler behavior attached the text sprite
          handling all the keystrokes.
          • 2. Re: help creating keyboard-only interface
            Level 7
            On Mon, 03 Jul 2006 15:29:54 GMT, wischoen posted in
            macromedia.director.basics:

> But compared to a mouse-based navigation system, it seems like director
            > is leaving me in the dark. I could have written this navigation system
            > in JAVA and still have about the same amount of code.
            >
            > Am I missing something? is there a simple way to make keyboard-based
            > navigation system in director?

I'm not sure what you want by "simple". Note that there are only a few user
            inputs available from a mouse. How many inputs are possible from the keyboard
            - including holding down modifier keys, multiple keys, etc.? I don't get the
            reference to Java, though. I suspect the code would be similar in all
            languages.

If you think your code is excessively large or cumbersome, post it here,
            describe how it's implemented (behavior, parent, movie script, how it's
            called, etc.) and one of us may be able to streamline it some.

--
            Mark A. Boyd
            Keep-On-Learnin' :)