8 Replies Latest reply on Jul 4, 2014 3:38 PM by A.T. Romano

Why Doesn't Premiere Elements 12 Recognize My Sony AVCHD Camera?

Rickster213 Level 1

This is my first attempt at using Premiere Elements 12.  Unfortunately, it is not recognizing my Sony HDR AVCHD format camera.  It uses a san disk.  I get a message "No supported devices detected".  It does find the jpg photos, though.

So I directly loaded the MTS files onto my iMac and created a DVD.  It looked pretty good, but not as good as playing the camera directly on a TV.  I found something on another Adobe site that indicated if there were problems with Premiere reading from the card that the files could be loaded to the hard drive.  It said "Be sure to copy the entire file structure of the card instead if just the clips".  I'm not sure what that means.  All I did was download the MTS files.

So I really have 2 questions here -

1 - why doesn't Premiere recognize my camera

2- Is there something on the san card I missed downloading that could improve the quality of the DVD being created?

Any thoughts would be appreciated. 

• 1. Re: Why Doesn't Premiere Elements 12 Recognize My Sony AVCHD Camera?
          John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

All versions of Premiere (Elements and Pro) will only CAPTURE using Firewire, for other cameras read below (about Premiere Pro, but the PROCESS is the same to get everything from camera to computer)

Metadata contained in folder http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1015001?tstart=0

-and http://helpx.adobe.com/premiere-pro/using/transferring-importing-files.html

-http://helpx.adobe.com/premiere-pro/using/importing-assets-tapeless-formats.html

You do understand that you are going from HiDef to Standard Definition to create a DVD... so you are losing a LOT of video quality?

Comparison picture of video screen sizes http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1120039

• 2. Re: Why Doesn't Premiere Elements 12 Recognize My Sony AVCHD Camera?
            A.T. Romano Level 7

rickster213

Premiere Elements considerations for Premiere Elements questions....

1. You are not involved in DV or HDV capture from what you wrote. That requires a firewire connection. I read your report as you making a USB connection between your camera and the computer or a card reader and the computer with the expectation of importing your media into Premiere Elements 12 Mac with its Add Media/"Video from Flip or Cameras" (described Get videos from FLIP, AVCHD cameras or other Memory/Disk Devices)/Video Importer. And it is in the Video Importer than your camera or card reader is not being recognized. Am I correct in my interpretation of what you are reporting?

You say

It does find the jpg photos, though.

But, the jpg photos would not be going through the same Add Media route as the video. I would expect it to be going the route of Add Media/"Photos from cameras or devices" (described Get photos from digital cameras, phones, or removable drives)/Adobe Premiere Elements - Photo Downloader.

I would wonder if your video results are more the consequence of Mac and QuickTime's compatibility with .mts? Nonetheless your choice to download the files to the hard drive and then import them into the project from there is a good one.

2. What is the format of your Sony video - 1080p or 1080i? And what kind of "DVD" are you producing in Premiere Elements 12 Mac- DVD-VIDEO on DVD disc or AVCHD on DVD disc?

a. If interlaced video, there is the consideration that you have video with field order = upper field first and, if the destination is DVD-VIDEO on DVD disc, DVD-VIDEO on DVD disc is characterized by field order = lower field first.

b. Many, including myself, have found that there is a sharper quality of photos in the DVD-VIDEO on DVD disc, if the project can be set for DSLR/1080p/DSLR 1080p30@29.97. All photos make this choice easy. When videos as well as photos are involved, video format needs factoring into a project setting decision on these types of projects.

So. lots of thoughts to explore in this regard once more information is known about your source media.

If you had some AVCHD.mp4 or AVCHD.mov on your memory card, would that be recognized by the Video Importer?

Please review and consider.

Thanks.

ATR

• 3. Re: Why Doesn't Premiere Elements 12 Recognize My Sony AVCHD Camera?
              Rickster213 Level 1

I was able to copy the FOLDER from my card to the hard drive and then use Premiere's import function  to get the files that came from the camera.  Thanks to John for the link describing this.  On a side note, however, I'm not sure I agree with the statement that going to standard def would lose a lot of video quality.  I generated a DVD in standard def and it looked pretty good.  The person I'm making this video for would like it I am sure.  However, comparing it to what I get from playing the camera while connected to the TV you can tell it is definitely a lower quality.

What I was able to do was generate an AVCHD format to a DVD.  That had better quality than the standard dev.  Still not as good as playing from the camera but better than the standard def.  However, that format can't be played on an older DVD player or even my iMac.  I was able to play it on a Blue-ray, however.

I agree with A.T. in that Premiere probably didn't recognize my camera because it was USB connected.  I'm not sure why, though.  I agree a firewire connection would be necessary if I was trying to capture the video by playing the video on the camera, but I just wanted the files on the card and USB would be good enough for that.  In fact, that was how I got them - connecting my card to a USB device I plugged into the iMac.

My camera is 1080i.  I didn't understand your "field order" comments, but that's OK.  I will probably generate a standard def DVD and an AVCHD DVD and give them both to the recipient of my video.

• 4. Re: Why Doesn't Premiere Elements 12 Recognize My Sony AVCHD Camera?
                John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Go back an look at the picture in the '039' link I posted, in reply #1... a DVD is "about" 1/4 the total resolution of a BluRay

And, AVCHD to a DVD will WRITE on a DVD writer, but will only PLAY on a BluRay because the data rate to have the higher resolution video is far outside the DVD specification

• 5. Re: Why Doesn't Premiere Elements 12 Recognize My Sony AVCHD Camera?
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

Rickster213

Thanks for the reply and your additional comments and results.

I think that we need to make distinctions between Quality (how good or bad the results looks or sounds to you) and Resolution (Frame Size, Display Size). Often the two can go side by side.

What you are seeing at the camera level is 1080i which is interlaced video at 1920 x 1080 @ 29.97 interlaced frames per second. What you are seeing when you play back your finished DVD-VIDEO on DVD disc is based on 720 x 480 @ 29.97 interlaced frames per second (if standard 4:3) and 720 x 480 @ 29.97 interlaced frames per second accompanied by a 16:9 flag to stretch the 720 x 480 to 856 x 480 for display after encoding. Another factor is what the TV or computer player is doing to your interlaced video for viewing purposes - deinterlacing or not and with what method. Some TV's come with technology to enhance the DVD-VIDEO display. Most TVs larger than 32 to 42 in tend to show the differences between higher and lower resolution more readily.

Since you have interlaced video source, each frame has two fields, with either Upper or Lower Field First. Your source probably is interlaced video with Upper Field First. Consequently, in the project, you may have to adjust that to Lower Field First if your destination is DVD-VIDEO on DVD disc which is characterized by Field Order Lower Field First. Something to look into for the "better" aspects considerations.

Now if you decide to take your Timeline content to AVCHD format on DVD disc, note that the format of AVCHD format on DVD disc is different from that of the DVD-VIDEO on DVD disc (Instead of OpenDVD and VIDEO_TS Folder, you have the BDMV Folder). Your AVCHD on DVD disc will have resolution (Frame Size, Display Size) of 1920 x 1080 pixels. Under these circumstances, the capacity of the DVD disc can become a problem with larger projects. When you burn your Timeline content to AVCHD format on DVD disc, what is on the disc will be an 29.97 interlaced frames per second characterized by Upper Field First. So, if your interlaced source and the destination product both use Field Order Upper Field First, then no need for Field Options adjusts. However you do have one opportunity for a progressive frame rate for the AVCHD on DVD. It is not 29.97, rather 24. See Presets = H.264 1920 x 1080p NTSC Dolby in the AVCHD on DVD set up in Publish+Share/Disc AVCHD disc.

I have generated some very great looking DVD-VIDEO on DVD disc (standard and widescreen) and have been very pleased with the results and how my viewers received them. The thought is getting the best possible DVD-VIDEO on DVD and enjoying it without laboring on how it might have looked as Blu-ray or AVCHD if you do not have Blu-ray and do not have a player for AVCHD on DVD disc.

If you need clarification on any of the above, please let me know.

Thanks.

ATR

Add On...In post 3 marked in reply to me you wrote

"On a side note, however, I'm not sure I agree with the statement that going to standard def would lose a lot of video quality"

I did not write that in any of my posts to you. That is why I have gone through the detailed account to qualify that statement from wherever it came.

• 6. Re: Why Doesn't Premiere Elements 12 Recognize My Sony AVCHD Camera?
                    Rickster213 Level 1

Wow.  Thanks for the info.  I think I'm in the 2nd grade of understanding how this works and you are the professor.  I need time to try and digest all of that.  At that time, I might have another question for you but right now I don't know what that question would be.  I'm looking for a magic response of "use these settings and options and it will give you the best DVD", but I know the answer depends on many other variables I need to figure out.

Truth is, as you alluded to, I could make a standard def DVD from what I have and the recipient of it would be thrilled to have it.  I probably would have thought it was very good as well if I hadn't played the camera on the TV for a comparison.

As for the "loss of video quality" comment, I obviously didn't make that clear.  My first reply came from John, who made the comment.  Then came your reply.  I replied to you, but made a vague reference to the first reply by stating

Thanks to John for the link describing this.  On a side note, however, I'm not sure I agree with the statement that going to standard def would lose a lot of video quality.

So it was a reply to John I was doing in the reply I sent to you.  My fault for replying to both of you in the same reply.  I was just adding to the thread.  Sorry for the confusion.  Thanks again for your detailed response.

• 7. Re: Why Doesn't Premiere Elements 12 Recognize My Sony AVCHD Camera?
                      Rickster213 Level 1

I did look at that picture in the link you sent me.  But from my perspective, comparing what I got from a standard def DVD to what played on the TV directly from the camera, I don't think there was a significant loss of quality.  There was some, yes, but in my opinion not significant.  But enough of a difference that I will make an AVCHD DVD and a standard def DVD for my friend and if she has a Blue-ray great.  If not, she'll still have a nice video.  But I appreciate your input, especially the part about getting the entire folder on the hard drive.  Thanks.

• 8. Re: Why Doesn't Premiere Elements 12 Recognize My Sony AVCHD Camera?
                        A.T. Romano Level 7

Rickster213

Thanks for the reply. This is going to be my abridged version of what I wrote in my prior post.

If you have a 1080i project and you want a DVD Video Widescreen on DVD disc, then

Project Preset = NTSC AVCHD Full HD1080i30

After source is on the Timeline, if necessary, right click source, select Field Options/Reverse Field Dominance

Publish+Share/Disc/DVD disc with presets = NTSC_Widescreen_Dolby DVD

If you have a 1080i project and you want an AVCHD on DVD, then

Project Preset = NTSC AVCHD Full HD1080i30

Do not apply Field Options/Reverser Field Dominance

Publish+Share/Disc/AVCHD disc with presets = H.264 1920 x 1080i NTSC Dolby

In either case, before hitting Burn in the burn dialog, check the Quality Area Space Required and Bitrate.

For the DVD-VIDEO (with Fit Content to Available Space), try to keep Bitrate at max 8.00 Mbps

For the AVCHD (with Fit Content to Available Space), try to keep Bitrate at max 15.74 Mbps.

Generalization: If in making the fit the program has to lower the Bitrate, the lower the Bitrate, the lower the Quality.

A slightly lowered Bitrate is often tolerable.

Please do not hesitate to ask for clarification on anything that I write. I will re-write for clarification anytime.

Thanks.

ATR