13 Replies Latest reply on Jul 3, 2014 9:20 AM by Dave LaRonde

I need help with the roto brush tool, please?

pieman4848 Level 1

whenever I go to roto brush my clip, I start off by making my first stroke. When I do this it changes the layer time, and it is not synced up any more. If I uncheck the render box it goes to the next frame. Whenever I make a stroke, it does not effect the frame I drew on, but the one after. Any help?

• 1. Re: I need help with the roto brush tool, please?
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

Nobody can say anything. You have not provided any details about your system, your comp, your footage, heck, we don't even know your version of AE. And your description is at best confusing. Sorry, but at this point it is pointless even trying to analyze your issue.

Mylenium

• 3. Re: I need help with the roto brush tool, please?
            pieman4848 Level 1

Here we go. I have AE CS6. I'm trying to roto scope a bit of footage that is easily longer than 30 seconds. I have windows 7. When I started out roto scoping, it worked fine. At one point I clicked page down and nothing happened. When I clicked it again it went to the next frame as it should have done. Then, when I tried to corrections to the roto scope, nothing happened. No matter where I drew, either using the foreground or background tool, you know the red dot or the green dot, nothing happened. When I push page down it goes to the next frame and everything I drew on the previous frame happened on that frame. Therfore, whenever I use the rotoscope, it is not working on the frame I am drawing on but the one after. When ever I check the render box the view is now the next frame, not the frame I am working on. When I recheck the render box it goes back to the previous frame that I was working in, but nothing was happening. I restarted the roto brush tool to see if that would help. When I make my original line for the foreground there is a short pause, then it acts like the brush should. I noticed in the time line that the layer I was working on sifted over a frame to the right. If I control+z it the history says undo layer time change.

Is that enough information to get some help?

• 4. Re: I need help with the roto brush tool, please?
              Szalam Adobe Community Professional & MVP

What exact version number of After Effects are you using? You're two versions back (the latest CC 2014 is After Effects version 13), but Adobe is still releasing fixes for CS6. I believe the current version is 11.0.4, but there is another update coming soon. If you're not running the latest update to CS6, update.

Secondly, try emptying all of your caches and such.

Also, try rebooting the computer.

Have you seen any official tutorials on using the Roto Brush? It's not as intuitive as it looks and I've seen people work with it in some pretty inefficient ways (and I've seen some TERRIBLE YouTube tutorials on it that are just plain wrong). If you haven't yet, go through some quality resources on the Roto Brush in After Effects

• 5. Re: Re: I need help with the roto brush tool, please?
                Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Have you gone through the tutorials? Rotobrush is not intuitive. Even though I have been using After Effects professionally for 20 years, when Rotobrush was introduced I could not get it to work until I looked at a tutorial. I would follow the links supplied by Szalam. If you are following the correct procedures and your system is still not working then the most likely problem is that your source footage frame rate does not match the composition frame rate, that the source footage is not interpreted correctly, or that the source footage was compressed with an incompatible codec. Only after all these potential problems are addressed would I start looking for a problem in the software.

• 6. Re: I need help with the roto brush tool, please?
                  pieman4848 Level 1

Now I have updated to 11.0.4, I have corrected the frame rate mismatch and have completely started over the project and it is still happening. I also cleared the cache. It is still not working. I have gotten the roto brush to work in the past, but now it is not working.

• 8. Re: I need help with the roto brush tool, please?
                    Dave LaRonde Level 6

Please confirm that you're familiar with the proper techniques for using rotobrush, and that you're not trying to use it intuitively; I might mave missed that bit, but I don't think that's been established yet.

On a different point, 11.0.4 seems like an awfully early version of AE CS6.  I'll bet there's an update that you may find helpful.

And on a third point, AE may simply be having a tough time dealing with the codec of the footage, e.g H.264's from a DSLR.  Transcoding to a lossless codec would probably help in that case.

• 9. Re: I need help with the roto brush tool, please?
                      Szalam Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Dave LaRonde wrote:

On a different point, 11.0.4 seems like an awfully early version of AE CS6.  I'll bet there's an update that you may find helpful.

That's the latest version of CS6 (unless Adobe released an update this week).

• 10. Re: I need help with the roto brush tool, please?
                        pieman4848 Level 1

I've used the roto brush tool before and have watched tutorials on it and it has never done this. I didn't use a dslr camera to shoot the footage either

• 11. Re: I need help with the roto brush tool, please?
                          Dave LaRonde Level 6

Well, that DSLR deal was just an example.  Stuff from a Vixia can give AE fits, too.  So can AVCHD, mp4's, screen capture clips for somebody trying to fart around with gaming video.... quite a few things.  So knowin the media container, codec and provenance of the clip can be pretty important.

• 12. Re: I need help with the roto brush tool, please?
                            pieman4848 Level 1

I have used footage from this camera before to rotoscope and it worked back then.

• 13. Re: I need help with the roto brush tool, please?
                              Dave LaRonde Level 6

It seems that you're unfamiliar with offering helpful information, so I'll ask straight out: what is the media container and the codec of the footage in question?

Never mind that you've used it successfully in the past -- you may have just gotten lucky then, and your luck has run out now.  It happens.