11 Replies Latest reply on Jul 4, 2014 5:34 AM by Peter Spier

GREP for runts

Peter Stnsz

Hi,

I was working around the GREP that will be nested in body style ('No Break' char style). What I want to achieve is 'kill' the runts in a proper way. So far I manage to keep together minimum 7 (this is my requirement) characters excluding spaces with the code as follows:

[^\s].{1,7}[^\s]$ 

That's work fine but what when I'd like to match [[:alpha:]] only, excluding punctuations? Logic says that I should replace operator '.' with [[:alpha:]] and for the 'exclusion brackets' i should use for instance \p{P*} but this does not to seem to work.

Any suggestions?

Thanks a lot!

• 1. Re: GREP for runts
          Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

Have you tried [[:alpha:]]{1,7}[[:punct:]]*$

This is going to fail, however, if your paragraph ends with a number or whitespace.

• 2. Re: GREP for runts
            Peter Stnsz Level 1

Hi Peter,

The thing is that I want to exclude space characters. For instance you may have at the end of paragraph something like unit (0,3 ml) - second phares indeed contains 7 non-space characters but I would like to GREP to exclude all the type of punctuation and 'force' the text to be No Break so unit (0,3 ml) will be kept together too.

Thanks!

• 3. Re: GREP for runts

I think that's just too variable to set up as a GREP expression.

What's wrong with including the spaces if you don't want them to break? Why not use [^\s].{6}$ which finds seven character at the end of the paragraph not starting with a space (but will fail if there are six characters preceded by a space).

• 4. Re: GREP for runts

Or maybe this is less generic and can be done as \s*\(.+\)?$ which should keep together any string enclosed in parentheses at the end of a paragraph, along with any whitespace immediately before it. This, too, has potential problems if your paragraph ends in a long parenthetical phrase (which could be too long for the column width as in this paragraph)

• 5. Re: GREP for runts
                  Peter Stnsz Level 1

Hi,

Yes my GREP has evolved from the .{7}$ so your example is quite similar to mine. The reason why I want to achieve this is my customer requirement. I have to deal quite often with different languages that include one character words or such before any unit or say 'mathematical function'. I am doing that so far manually and looking for solution that will allow me use nested GREP style.

Your second example \s*\(.+\)?$  may not work well when I have something included within '[ ]' or '{ }' brackets, so I would rather go for general punctuation string.

• 6. Re: GREP for runts

I continue to think this is too complicated to do as a single GREP style, but it would help if you gave us a list of examples of perhaps a dozen cases.

• 7. Re: GREP for runts
                      Sandee Cohen Adobe Community Professional

I don't know much about GREP but can't you set a second GREP nested style for the same No Break character for just that unit expression?

unit (\d,\d ml)

I don't know what other variables you have for these unit expressions, but I think you can just make as many as you need.

• 8. Re: GREP for runts

Yep.

You could also use classes for the parentheses/brackets/braces to make them interchangeable, but it isn't at all clear to me that what needs not to break is always the same length or format.

• 9. Re: GREP for runts
                          Sandee Cohen Adobe Community Professional

I'm not clear on it either. We might need some + signs in there.)

• 10. Re: GREP for runts
                            Peter Stnsz Level 1

Peter Spier wrote:

I continue to think this is too complicated to do as a single GREP style, but it would help if you gave us a list of examples of perhaps a dozen cases.

Hi,

Had no time before but these are some of the examples that are used:

5 x 0,4 ml.

or in 2 ml.

i w 2 ml.

or (0,3) u.

as in [0,1].

or [2:1].

So the point is to keep the preceding words with the runts mentioned above. Sometimes {} brackets are used too that's why I am looking for 'flexible' code.

• 11. Re: GREP for runts

One of the GREP aces like Jongware might have some idea, but I just don't see any sort of pattern here that would make this possible. The best I think you can do is set no break on an absolute number of characters before the end of the paragraph, and perhaps add a second GREP to prevent breaking the expressions in any type of bracket, but I don't see that as being terribly useful if you've already applied the no break to the characters where they would fall.